Thread: Interview with Woody Platt of Steep Canyon Rangers

Default Interview with Woody Platt of Steep Canyon Rangers

Hi All,

I would like to share an exciting new interview that I have recently posted on my music blog, Uprooted Music Revue.

It's a Q and A with Woody Platt of Steep Canyon Rangers. Some of you may know SCR before their work with Steve Martin. I am hoping that newcomers, and longtime followers SCR will enjoy the interview.

Woody Platt (Steep Canyon rangers Interview: http://www.uprootedmusicrevue.com/20...n-rangers.html

Thanks very much for reading, and if you enjoy the interview, please be sure to follow Uprooted Music Revue on facebook and twitter. I would really appreciate your support.

Cheers,

Chris

garded

Default Re: Interview with Woody Platt of Steep Canyon Rangers

It was good to read something about SCR Chris. This band is VERY interesting to me in how they approach a particular tune and I was hoping to hear more nuts and bolts about that. there were a couple of hints.

Woody does an amazing job in how he delivers each tune and you would not know it because he mostly plays rhythm, but he's a heck of a guitar player too.

Mike G. just blows me away with his backup vocals and his mandolin work. He makes it sound so easy, but he's doing all the stuff that just kills me with the fast tremolo work and his really precise clean way of playing. All of these guys are pocket players, they could throw the kitchen sink in, but it wouldn't fit the song/tune. They are truly an ensemble, and that fascinates me.

There have been several threads lately lamenting how hard it is to work in a band. And these guys not only do it, but seem to thrive on doing it. That is such a rare thing, and there might not be any secrets to talk about, but like their playing and singing it just all seems so effortless. And I'm sure it's not. But how they come up with these songs and then arrange them.....just seems like there's a story there. Woody alluded to it about how Graham and Charles would bring something to him.

There's another one that's a mystery to me, Charles. Bass players seem to be so taken for granted, but I've really become a connoisseur of fine bass playing. And Charles is right up there IMHO. Some of the songs like Hollerin' House and some others with his distinctive lines and slap fills are just amazing to me. And without those grooves those songs would not even be the same.

I got to meet Mike and Graham backstage, and they seem very unassuming and down to earth and funny guys. I got the feeling the rest of the band was that way too. Kind of my idea how a bluegrass band should be and they would probably think there's not much to talk about, but I disagree. The album title "Nobody Knows You" is very apropos. I hope they gain a wider audience than just being backup for Steve Martin.