Thread: Questions about the MM-50

Default Questions about the MM-50

Do you know how much it would cost to replace the bridge with an Ebony bridge, and also to make this mandolin electric?

I know the MM-50E comes electric, but i just don't like the color of that one, i prefer the MM-50.

Default Re: Questions about the MM-50

Mike, not sure where you're at but I would highly recommend Dale Ludewig (Cafe member) in Northern Illinois. Recently Dale added a CA bridge and internal pickup - as well as scooped the frets for me - and my MM-50 sounds 100% better. He also fixed a buzzing in the nut and a professional set up as well. It greatly increased my investment in a not-so-critically acclaimed instrument, but I was impressed with the quality of his work and would put my mando up against any other mid-priced mando on the market.

The pickup that comes on the MM-50E is made by Shadow electronics and available as a separate unit. Added to the price of a MM-50 it highlights what value the MM-50E is. It would depend what price you put on having a sunburst I guess. I seem to remember someone posting on the cafe a few months back wanting the honey colour finish but not the electronics, and removed the shadow pickup... The opposite of your situation.

Of course there are other pickup options available for amplifying a mandolin.
    Last edited by Ben Milne; Apr-12-2012 at 9:31pm.
    Hereby & forthwith, any instrument with an odd number of strings shall be considered broken. With regard to mix levels, usually the best approach is treating the mandolin the same as a cowbell.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Milne View Post
    The pickup that comes on the MM-50E is made by Shadow electronics and available as a separate unit. Added to the price of a MM-50 it highlights what value the MM-50E is. It would depend what price you but on having a sunburst I guess. I seem to remember someone posting on the cafe a few months back wanting the honey colour finish but not the electronics, and removed the shadow pickup... The opposite of your situation.

Of course there are other pickup options available for amplifying a mandolin.
    Ebony bridge= cheap...think my luthier charged me the cost of the Stew Mac bridge (which is pretty decent and a definite upgrade from the stock MM-50 bridge) plus 5 or 10 bucks to fit it and intonate it.

Electronics: The sky's the limit!!
    Chuck

I put a fishman m100 on and hated the sound. it was like playing a mandolin made from a cookie tin