Thread: Looking for an upgrade

Default Looking for an upgrade

I am in the market for a new mandolin. I'm looking in a budget of less than $1000, maybe $700-800. I would like a blonde finish or a light sunburst, unlike the burst on the Loars, with the traditional spruce and maple body. What's a good mando that fits those criteria?
    -Tristan
    Last edited by Mando Tristan; Apr-09-2012 at 7:48pm.
    Pierce Luthiery - pluthiery.tumblr.com

Default Re: Looking for an upgrade

Hi Tristan,

Do you like the classic or classic Sunburst on the Eastman's? Most of the blond mandolins I have seen at this price point are not among the best mandolins. Many of the Kentucky's have a subdued sunburst.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Both the classic and the classic sunburst finishes on the Eastmans look very nice, I'm just not a big fan of the shape of the neck and the radiused fret board on them. I also like the finish of the Kentucky KM-1000. For a sunburst, I like a brown burst or a very subdued black sunburst. I like the sound of the Loars, but the finish is too much black.
    Two of my favorite blonde options is the Morgan Monroe MFM-300 and the MF-1, are these good mandolins?
    What price range would I be looking at for a quality blond Mando?
    -Tristan
    Last edited by Mando Tristan; Apr-09-2012 at 7:58pm.

at your price limit you are going from mediocre to better mediocre . save up 1500-2000 and that will be an upgrade unless you find a really great deal on used

Rico, I'm looking to upgrade from a bottom of the line, plywood Fender to something that will be good till I have the skills to warrant something like a Collins or a Weber. I'm just a teenager, so $2000 is hard to collect for me.

There are two blonde Breedlove OOs in the classifieds right now at your price point.
    PJ Doland
    1923 Gibson Snakehead A

Quote Originally Posted by PJ Doland View Post
    There are two blonde Breedlove OOs in the classifieds right now at your price point.
    I would prefer a F style, I think I have some scroll envy with my minor case of MAS.

mandolinist, Mixt Company D C Blood's Avatar

Hi Tristan...you don't mention type of music you're into, but being from Marietta, Ga, I'd almost have to assume Bluegrass...I've been playing for fifty years now. First..don't go MM or MK. (I'll just use initials so I don't hurt anyone's feelings). Second, at your price point, in my opinion, best buys are, The Loar, Kentucky, and Eastman. Go for sound and feel, not color of the finish at this point. (A good-sounding mando can make you like its color a whole bunch). Any of those mandos will be a big step up and carry you a long ways, till you're ready to spend bigger money. There are a whole bunch of very competent and skilled pickers playing those brands...Good luck and keep us posted.
    D C Blood Mixt Company
    '96 Ratcliff Silver Eagle/Angel
    '09 Silverangel F5 distressed
    '09 Ratcliff A model distressed
    ..Blue Chip pick user...
    www.facebook.com/davidcblood
    www.facebook.com/silverangelmandolins
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?albumid=109 photo album url

D C, I am into bluegrass. I may have to go find some Kentuckys to try, I've already played some Loars and Eastmans. Any particular reason to shy away from MM, I know MK can be iffy. Personally, I like the tone of the Eastman and Loar, but I don't care for the V neck and radiused fretboard of Eastman and the black of the burst on the Loars is just too much for me.

you should watch the cafe classifieds like a hawk . there will be what you are looking for available at good prices as there are others who will be upgrading and wanting to quickly sell to finance a good deal on a higher end instrument .

I'm with DC on this one. Go for the tone you like with the action and playability you prefer. Don't let the dark burst worry you, the look should be a low priority, especially considering you plan on upgrading again... Make that upgrade the one you really want..
    You could get something like a used Weber Gallatin or Gibson F9 for the budget Rico mentioned (two examples in the classifieds, 1500 and 1800 respectively), but if you're fixed to around $1k you might have to settle for the dark look, the Eastman action.
    There was a KM1000 at your price point in the classifieds, though it's been sold... You gotta be quick when a deal's good.
    The other option would be to find a 2nd hand A-9 and forgo the fancy additions like the scroll etc.
    Hereby & forthwith, any instrument with an odd number of strings shall be considered broken. With regard to mix levels, usually the best approach is treating the mandolin the same as a cowbell.

Based on what I have played and heard, I'm leaning towards a Morgan Monroe. I have a good friend who has played the mandolin for 30yr who says that MM makes good mandolins. My local shop has a limited selection right now with 3 Loars, 2 Eastmans, and 2 MMs so I am going to have to wait for them to get a restock so I can try some more mandolins out before I buy. The four MM models I am looking at are the MF-1, MDM-1, MMS-8, and MFM-300. Are these good mandolins? I can go looking in other stores within 2hrs of me, probally not any farther since I am a big believer in the "try before you buy" method.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/msg/2934280062.html I just found this on my local Craigslist page. Is this a good mando? If it is, is $700 a good price for an old Aria Pro II mandolin?

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

It's neither a great or a bad price. It's about right if it's as described. Play it first and make sure it's not heavy like a block of concrete. Some of these were carved too thick. I bet this is a pretty nice mandolin though. I used to have one of the PM-780s and it was pretty nice. I didn't like the narrow nut though. . .

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Tristan View Post
    I would prefer a F style, I think I have some scroll envy with my minor case of MAS.
    In your price range an F Style may be of poor quality. Not that you can't find good ones, it is just that the average one is not going to be that good. As others have said, Play it first!

A minor case of MAS? Ha!
    I should be pickin' rather than postin'

Since your main goal is looks just get the MM or the MK and don't worry about it.
    Gunga......Gunga.....Gu-Lunga

Quote Originally Posted by ColdBeerGoCubs View Post
    Since your main goal is looks just get the MM or the MK and don't worry about it.
    It's not just looks, I want a well rounded mando in tone, playability, and looks. MM and Loar have mandos that fit at least two, usually playability and tone with MM looking nice too, but I have a hard time getting past the look of the Loar. Eastmans sound and look nice, but I don't care for the V shaped neck and the radiused fretboard. I may go hunting around for other brands in my range, we go to Chattanooga often enough and I know there is a large music shop there and another I have never been to over by Lake Lanier. Then there a few nice ones on Craigslist from time to time.

There are lots of pretty boxes with strings on them out there in your price range . but if sound is your main interest get a A model . more tone for your buck . A good F is expensive to make . at your present playing level you may not notice much difference in tone between 2 mandolins but as your playing improves you will be able to get more from a better mandolin

Here this should be perfect for you then, this guy stripped a loar down to a blond. Best of both worlds.

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...highlight=loar
    Gunga......Gunga.....Gu-Lunga