Thread: VINTAGE 1927 THE GIBSON A-Jr. A JUNIOR A STYLE MANDOLIN

Fetches news & information NewsFetcher's Avatar

Default VINTAGE 1927 THE GIBSON A-Jr. A JUNIOR A STYLE MANDOLIN

View...

$247.50 (8 Bids)
    End Date: Wednesday Apr-11-2012 14:12:20 PDT
    Bid now | Add to watch list

This news feed watches mandolin family related items on eBay and selects one randomly. By appearing here the Mandolin Cafe is not endorsing the legitimacy of the item nor the honesty of the seller. This is a computer generated posting. If you feel the auction represents fraudulent activity please contact the site owner.

Posts belonging to this account are created by a software task, not a human. Don't understand what that means? This information will explain how this post got here.

Always learning something Mo Soar's Avatar

Default Re: VINTAGE 1927 THE GIBSON A-Jr. A JUNIOR A STYLE MANDOLIN

So, what is the collective Mandolin Cafe opinion of value and condition?
    1918 Gibson A, "Lillian";
    1940s (?) Kay A style f hole - currently down for a refret and fretboard re-profile, my first attempts (with guidance) at lutherie.
    1981 Washburn M7SN (2 point);
    2011 Eastman 504, "Belle";
    2012 Lafferty mahogany octave mandolin;
    2012 Emando (Saga), "Hank"

1 husband, 2 dogs, 4 chickens.

As someone who is very interested in this mandolin, I'll just say that the auction will likely end up somewhere between $1000 - $1500. It appears to be in fine condition, though I expect the neck to be somewhat uneven, and if I were to win it, I'll probably will have the neck leveled and refretted. When I look at these A-Jrs, I usually keep in mind that I can get a snakehead A-jr for $1500 from a number of reputed dealers, and bid accordingly.

So there you have it.

That sure is a light top ..All the juniors I've seen were the sheraton brown color,maybe it's the lighting?
    Hughes F-5 #1
    Hughes A model #1
    1922 Gibson A-2
    1958 Gibson A-5

It's the lighting. We'll see, if that tops a thousand dollars I'll be surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by barney 59 View Post
    It's the lighting. We'll see, if that tops a thousand dollars I'll be surprised.
    barney for my sake I hope you're right

Quote Originally Posted by barrangatan View Post
    barney for my sake I hope you're right
    Good luck - I hope you win it. One of these days I am going to go out looking for exactly this sort of mandolin - a Gibson A oval hole made in 1927, the year my late Dad was born.

rm

I sold a '24 junior snakehead,all original in the old case w/ no repairs, last year..it took a while but I did get 1600.00 out of it..Can't imagine this will go near that high unless the market is really picking up.
    Hughes F-5 #1
    Hughes A model #1
    1922 Gibson A-2
    1958 Gibson A-5

From the pictures, I believe the tuners, pickguard and perhaps even the tailpiece have been replaced. What do think??
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

The tailpiece is at least the correct one, original or not, tuners and bridge are replacements.
    I do have a '27 A-0 with an 86xxx serial number*, it was my first mandolin and is now very used and beat up looking after decades of playing it and dragging it all over the world . Someone played it quite a lot before I bought it to boot so it came to me preworn but I wouldn't replace it with a better looking one. I can't imagine finding one that sounds better or plays better and besides I have a soft spot for the one I have. I replaced my tuners when the old ones got arthritic and I don't regret doing that as it was a vast improvement. From the looks of mine I probably should have left the pick guard on ---but water over the dam now. Mine is worth at least the $100 I paid for it in '73,and considerably more to me than anyone else.
    * I always believed mine to be a '27 as Roger Siminoff told me it was not long after I got it and he listed it in his "Frets" article in '75 as such -- but it seems that that date may have changed by a year after Spann's guide and the FON bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. E View Post
    From the pictures, I believe the tuners, pickguard and perhaps even the tailpiece have been replaced. What do think??
    Interesting you mentioned the tailpiece. I just noticed that it has a strap button whereas most of the clamp tailpiece I've seen, as well as the one I had on my old '26 A-Jr, does not have one. Could be a more contemporary version (50's?) or even a reproduction.

I think maybe it's a conversion or maybe a new bottom and modified to take the old cover. The button solves the little piece of rawhide that I have slipped through the little groove that Waverly Cloud tailpieces have,although in many many years not ever has the strap come loose from that end. I think it's safe to say,so to speak, that my way works pretty good.

I looked at the picture --that just a button screwed through the bottom screw hole on the tailpiece.

I had rather have the Kentucky 900.... same money. But my mileage varies.
    I have the world in a jug, and the stopper in my hand.

So it ended at $912.. I must say I was a bit surprised, but am glad to be proven wrong. And no I did not bid on it, as something else came up. I hope someone on the cafe ended up with it.
    Last edited by Clement Barrera-Ng; Apr-11-2012 at 5:05pm.

Like you said,you can get a snakehead from a dealer for $1500 so this one came in about right. I don't know how long this will continue but anybody that ever thought that they would like to have a vintage "A" Gibson this is a good time for buyers. Lots and lots of these under a grand these days. When you think of the quality, not to mention the "cool" factor, and lets not forget about the distinctive aroma, I don't think that there can be much out there that can compare at these prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron McMillan View Post
    Good luck - I hope you win it. One of these days I am going to go out looking for exactly this sort of mandolin - a Gibson A oval hole made in 1927, the year my late Dad was born.

rm
    Ah, Ron, just doing some research and ran across this old thread- I recently acquired a snakehead '27 junior, the year my late Dad was born! It's in wonderful original shape, sounds excellent, and is now my main mandolin. Anyway, cheers to both our beloved Dad's!