Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mandolin pickups

Default Mandolin pickups

I have a mid-Missouri mandolin ( m-1, I think), with a flat top and back and with a hole in the middle with a 3 inch radius. I would like to put a pickup on it, and I have seen in-hole pickups for guitar. I am wondering if I can get a pickup somewhere that will go in the hole or mount on something on top of it. Is there such a thing that will fit my mandolin?

Destroyer of Mandolins

Default Re: Mandolin pickups

Hi and welcome!

I think I understand what you mean: a magnetic pickup with a bracket that mounts into the round hole of a flat-top guitar but sized for mandolin. I used to use a Lawrence round-hole pickup for several years on a dreadnought guitar.

I don't recall ever seeing one for a mandolin except in videos of Greek-style bouzoukis (bowl-back instruments with a long neck) where they have what appears to be a four-pole magnetic pickup in the sound hole. I've never seen one in an American shop nor at any of the Big Box Internet dealers I use. You might find one in a shop dealing with European instruments or on the Net at some Eastern European dealer.

The common solutions in America include soundboard pickups, contact microphones, clip-on miniature mics, piezoelectric bridge pickups, and stand-mounted microphones. The solid-body mandolin players have specially sized magnetic pickups for their instruments of course, but I'm not sure how they would mount them on an acoustic. You might want to ask about it in that forum.

There are a number of inexpensive A and F style mandolins available with magnetic pickups and you might salvage one of those, but my experience has been that those are very low quality electronics and are more or less permanently mounted rather than removable like a sound hole pickup.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

A 3" radius sound hole seems a bit large for a mandolin.

You could try something like This though if your mandolin's soundhole has a 3" Diameter it might be a wee bit oversize.
    If you're handy and think you could make a carriage you could get something like this. (For posterity, try searching for a tenor guitar pickup.)

Perhaps you could approach Pete at Almuse (Soundfarmer Pete here on the cafe) to make you something.
    Hereby & forthwith, any instrument with an odd number of strings shall be considered broken. With regard to mix levels, usually the best approach is treating the mandolin the same as a cowbell.

I used this style pickup on a guitar as a kid and I remember how the cable hung down the front of the instrument while playing and how I had to manage putting the cable inside the guitar when putting the guitar in the case, neither of which I see as desirable thinking about using one with a mandolin. If you decide to address this issue by routing the cable inside the mandolin through the end pin with a strap button jack that opens you up to installing other pickups that won't block the sound hole. If your objective is to have the sound of a magnetic pickup then there is certainly nothing wrong with going that direction and if the cable issue doesn't matter to you then it's just a matter of finding one that will fit the hole. For me, having a pickup, McIntyre Feather is my favorite, installed inside the mandolin with a strap button input jack gives me the convenience of an electric mandolin without getting in the way of using it as an acoustic mandolin.

I'm sorry, it's 2 1/4 inches diameter. Not 3 inches, or radius.

Blog Entries

I have a soundhole pickup for my 10-string, custom from Ryder. If you're handy you might be able to use one of his four-pole single-coil pickups, or the preferable stacked-single-coil humbucker.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	soundhole_closeup.jpg 
Views:	834 
Size:	84.4 KB 
ID:	84367
    I added a couple of pieces of faucet washer as clamps for the flanges, and had Steve add a ground wire on one side. (I protected the leads from strain by adding a blob of hot glue for each.) I lift the low strings and slide it under, holding the extra wire to lift it into position, and simply push into place. Holds fine for a show, and I lift the E string to insert ground wire behind the bridge saddle on my pin bridge. With a floating bridge you would use a longer wire and small alligator clip behind the bridge, easier than my arrangement.

Name:	Buchanan_pickup_closeup.jpg 
Views:	411 
Size:	114.9 KB 
ID:	84368
    The sound is excellent, and I can compensate for the powerful A string by pushing the pole piece down. The bronze strings balance pretty well with the E. I made a volume and tone control box, which gives me the same tone range as a regular electric, and if the amp is set for reduced midrange it sounds very acoustic. Bring the mids back in and roll the tone back a little and you get a fat jazz sound:
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/gr...850&do=discuss

But I am intrigued by this 1/4" thick acoustic guitar pickup from Lace: They say they are developing mandolin versions:

Name:	USA_CHRM.jpg 
Views:	677 
Size:	37.7 KB 
ID:	84369
    http://www.lacemusic.com/USA_Acoustic.php
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

Registered User Terry Allan Hall's Avatar

Saw a single coil p/u in a "Army/Navy" type mandolin (forget the brand, but it might've been a Kentucky) that was mounted on a small block of wood glued to the back...worked pretty well, and the "unplugged" sound wasn't too bad, either.

Might've been a Seymour Duncan, like this one: http://www.seymourduncan.com/product...103451_pickup/

Destroyer of Mandolins

Just out of curiosity, I'm wondering why the OP desires a magnetic pickup at all. It's fair to say that, outside the solid-body electric world, the magnetic pickup is probably the least popular of all amplification methods. Perhaps there's some underlying problem that could be solved in other ways?
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

Blog Entries

That's what I've been wondering, Tim.

OP - are you looking for the magnetic pickup sound particularly - or just to be able to amplify your mando?

Piezo transducers like the K+K are fairly popular, the Baggs Radius also seems well liked. All would amplify your mandolin and may be simpler to find a solution with. Most such pickups greatly benefit from a preamp that matches well, I would consider it a required part of the package if you shop for them.

Search on the Radius and K+K, there's a lot of reports of both. They work well up to a pretty high volume level on stage, after that a specialized instrument [whether solid body or ovation/godin/such] fits the bill best IMO.
    Collings MT2
    Breedlove OF
    Ellie eMando
    Schmergl Devastator

Might be a bit more of a project.. you can buy shorter pickups , 4 pole and 1/2 a P bass PU are usable.
    Then You make the mounting..

E mando thread has these topics..

since its the motion of the string and not the vibrations
    of the soundboard or bridge on the soundboard
    that are amplified , a bit more feed back rejection is possible/..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Sorry for not clarifying earlier. I am looking for the electric sound as sort of an experiment, rather than the piezo sound which is somewhat limited. I am wondering if I can get the hollow body archtop electric guitar sound, but I will settle for any electric type sound.
    A few months ago I tried to make my own magnetic pickup, and after even soldering it to a jack and wax potting the thing and the whole nine yards, it would not work.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the update, we won't go down that path.

I completely understand your desire ... I play in a trio with a guy playing an archtop hollowbody [the old tube amp doesn't hurt either] and it's lovely. I've always wondered how the Phoenix jazz and Mann Semi-hollow sound in comparison as both have magnetic pickups - awaiting my chance to try one.

It's #2 on my mandolin wish list, after an old oval for cross tuning.
    Collings MT2
    Breedlove OF
    Ellie eMando
    Schmergl Devastator

Destroyer of Mandolins

Yes, thanks for the clarification. So you're after a sort of 'jazz guitar' sound from a mandolin? If it's just for experimental purposes you might just pick up one of those A-style archtops with the mag pickup, tone and volume knobs in place (you can get them pretty cheap). Experiment with the sounds available from it then see if you can transfer anything useful to your better instrument. A lot of the times that design is rejected simply because it's so electric sounding and the player wanted a more acoustic sound, but you're doing the opposite so it might work OK.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wright View Post
    But I am intrigued by this 1/4" thick acoustic guitar pickup from Lace: They say they are developing mandolin versions:

If there is enough space under the strings you could take a pickup like this with a couple of strips of Velcro to attach it to the top and not worry about a complicated fit to the sound hole. Then you could remove it when you wanted to play acoustic.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim2723 View Post
    Yes, thanks for the clarification. So you're after a sort of 'jazz guitar' sound from a mandolin? If it's just for experimental purposes you might just pick up one of those A-style archtops with the mag pickup, tone and volume knobs in place (you can get them pretty cheap).
    I used a Rogue with a Bill Lawrence for a few years. Played out, had fun and made money with it. Experiment, have fun, share your results.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4-Pole-Pi...d=328535677208
    The link above, posted on post#3 above is what I have been looking for months.
    This seems to be the single coil pick-up found on most acoustic-electric mandolins (such as Fender 52E for example).

Thanks for your help, everyone! The jazz type sound is probably my preference, but any electric sound would be great.

Registered User Terry Allan Hall's Avatar

For electric mandolin use, I've put together this:

A Rogue laminated topped mandolin and a Soares P-90 pickup...sounds great for plugging into my Peavey and/or Fender amps.

Rather than butcher your Mid-Missouri, consider putting yourself together one of these, as while the Rogue is, at best, so-so sounding unplugged, it has a great neck with excellent intonation, and sounds quite nice with the sound coming out of the P90 into an amp.

OTOH, if I'm looking for a nice "acoustic" sound, I go w/ my Gold Tone GM50 w/ a pair of JJB contact pickups under each end of the bridge. A pair of these would make your Mid-Missouri sound great plugged in, while doing no damage.

Between the two, I'm covered for gigging on my mandos.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wright View Post

I've used both versions of the Lace resonator pickups. The smaller version is installed on my Paris Swing [see avatar] and the bigger one I mounted under the faceplate of my resonator. I wired both with piezo's as well and find I get the best sound when the humbucker and piezo's are mixed. Either by themselves is a bit meh.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

Check this site.
    Good solutions i think without butchering your mando.

Here is something i put together. The pickup is from National Guitars and is floating from the pickguard. volume pot is custom made small and fits in the f hole. Your could run yours straight, but the thin pickups are a tight fit under the strings.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	folk fest bathroom and for sale 004.JPG 
Views:	422 
Size:	113.9 KB 
ID:	84959
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Destroyer of Mandolins

That does look like a tight fit! Years ago,before any of the new pickups where out there, I fit a Lawrence round-hole pickup to my Epiphone BG-440 using a home made bracket cut from a Tupperware container and strapped on the oval hole with a bit of elastic and a couple of brassier hooks. They used to call me Playtex Smith! It's gratifying to see someone making the possible out of the unlikely!
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

Perhaps you could approach Pete at Almuse (Soundfarmer Pete here on the cafe) to make you something.
    Here's a grab from the Almuse site... looks like Pete is the man.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture .jpg 
Views:	431 
Size:	159.5 KB 
ID:	85181  
    Hereby & forthwith, any instrument with an odd number of strings shall be considered broken. With regard to mix levels, usually the best approach is treating the mandolin the same as a cowbell.

Since you are not looking to amplify the acoustic sound of your mandolin, if I were you, I would leave my mandolin alone and start scouring eBay for a Harmony H35, commonly known on eBay as a "batwing" electric mandolin. You can also look at the Eastwood or the Morgan Monroe solid body emando, which I am pretty certain are made in the same factory. You can even save money by getting what I am sure is the same instrument with the name "Maestro" for half the price on eBay. You may have to spend a few minutes working on the intonation of the G string, but after that you'll have a nice emando that looks like a tele. Why do anything to mar your mandolin when you can just buy one to suit your needs spending only a bit more than a pickup would cost?

kyle i have a mcintyre i mounted on the outside of my a model i bought the pickup back in the 90s its round. Is the feather the same sound or better? I tryed mounting it on the inside but couldnt get it to stick, it sticks on the outside finish but not the inside unfinished wood. I remember it advertised it as a outsider.It has a black gummy puddy any recomendations about pickup or adhesive to use? thanks bob