Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Brentrup Mandolin Registry

Brentrup Evangelist Larry S Sherman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default The Brentrup Mandolin Registry

Hi Folks,

As some of you know I'm a big admirer of Johann (Hans) Brentrup's mandolins, and I know I'm just one of many happy owners of his instruments. With Hans' kind permission I'm launching a Brentrup Mandolin Registry.

Inspired by the Mandolin Archive, which catalogs all the great Gibsons, Nuggets, Gilchrists, Dudenbostle, and Weins mandolins, the site is intended to document the artistry, beauty, inspired designs, historical replicas, and all of the little details that mandolin geeks love to pour over when they are ordering a mandolin.

Each entry is based on the serial number system that Hans used to identify his instruments:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Small Label.jpg 
Views:	252 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	84238

There's a lot of good information in this label. It's an F5, signed on June 2009, and is the 218th instrument Hans built, and features a red spruce top. I'm particularly looking for the serial numbers, and would especially like to get photos of the inside labels whenever possible.

If you are a Brentrup owner, former owner, store owner, or anyone else with access to the serial number of a Brentrup, and with luck photos of the front, back, neck, etc and/or any specs please contact me either through PM, send an email, or leave a note at the registry and we can connect and get your mandolin listed. It's quick and easy.

Unlike Dan I don't have to track down thousands of instruments. Please join me in scouring the Earth for expired eBay listings, old Elderly listings, pictures on your hard drive, emails from Hans documenting the build process and agonizing wait, etc. I have access to all of Hans' posts here on the cafe, but if you own an instrument described here but have the serial number to add I would appreciate it.

Trivia is also appreciated, such as Hans' instructions on letting the finish cure, magazine or news clippings, etc.

Future ideas:

• Add a page for Build Pictures
    • Add a page for unidentified mandolins (pictures but no serial numbers)
    • Show the development of James Tailpieces, which originated on Hans' instruments and developed over time
    • Create a Brentrup Social Group here on the Cafe
    • Add Videos and Sound Clips
    • Move the website from the free blog host to my own domain
    • Add a category for instruments that are for sale (not many are)

Name:	post-15-72509-PMLph.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	146.7 KB 
ID:	84239

Thank you for your help.

Please note: The Registry is not generating income for anyone. NFI involved. No personal information from any owner is added to the site, and is not required to document an instrument.
    Larry
    Last edited by Larry S Sherman; Mar-23-2012 at 7:09pm. Reason: poor grammah and spellink

Default Re: The Brentrup Mandolin Registry

Hi Larry, I have an 03 Brentrup Model 21, I will be contacting you further. Do you remember Ellen the first Brentrup Queen? I have not seen her around here in years. She was later unseated by MandoBar (something like that) who might know how to locate her.
    Bill

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Van Liere View Post
    Hi Larry, I have an 03 Brentrup Model 21, I will be contacting you further. Do you remember Ellen the first Brentrup Queen? I have not seen her around here in years. She was later unseated by MandoBar (something like that) who might know how to locate her.
    I'm in touch with Mandobar, but I don't know Ellen. She hasn't posted since 2005...I think she was just getting married then?

Larry

Yea married or something like that.

I think she has/had two early A models.
    Bill

Correct....Elen left the rat race in the SF Bay area a few years ago. I was in contact with her for a period of time prior to my move to FL......she's a terrific person. She had 2 model 21's.....one of them being the only all-blonde that Hans ever built (he decided shortly thereafter that there would not be another). Hans built a 21 (it's labeled as a prototype) for me in '03, and (with the urge for another dose of Brentrup) in '04 I ordered a model 23, convincing him to build it with a natural top, with blackburst back & sides. The final product, "Der Bogle", that I picked up in Sept. '07 is a truly unique and stunning masterpiece, with a tremendous voice. Subsequently, there has been no mandolin I have played that has appealed to me more, and I've been fortunate enough to play some great ones. My 21 prototype is a magnificent instrument in its own right as well.....to me they both are indeed "keepers".

Hans is a perfectionist, and he certainly built some outstanding mandolins. He and Maureen are two of the finest people on the planet, and I'm proud to be a friend of theirs.

One more quick note: I believe that "Der Bogle" was Hans' inspiration for the blackburst "Stealth" model that he later built.....I think he had a bit of the same black stain left, and liked the look!

I have one of my own and two for sale. And a few I sold in the past but I don't think I have serial numbers for those. I will send info sometime next week.

Apart from the obvious of great tone and workmanship the thing I love about Hans is his ability to produce classic designs and innovate, see my Eclipse V8 on my website. Its the only scrolled (you can't really call it an F5) mandolin I own.

There are photos of nine Brentrups on my website.

I am also hoping to get some of Hans' guitars soon.
    Trevor
    Formerly of The Acoustic Music Co (TAMCO) Brighton England now retired.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by trevor View Post
    I have one of my own and two for sale. And a few I sold in the past but I don't think I have serial numbers for those. I will send info sometime next week. There are photos of nine Brentrups on my website.
    Thanks Trevor. I linked directly to your Brentrup page from the Registry. You are one of the few stores in the world to have any for sale. I love your site. Next time I'm across the pond I'll stop by.

Larry

Larry, check Acousticmusic.org's museum database. He might have some pics there of Brentrups he'd had. I am into exams next week, but will try and get some pics to you. I think I have some that Hans sent me when he finished up my Stealth.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Blog Entries

Thanks Mary. I think I found an old link to your old webpage with some build pics, but there were a a lot of missing images too.

Today I added a beautiful F5-C owned by a forum member, and for the first time noticed that Hans had a different serial number logic in his F5-C's.

Name:	P1020421.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	72.5 KB 
ID:	84251

Looks like he started over with the month, year, then F5-C number. This one is F5-C 60809, which is June, 2008 nbr 9.

Another forum member noticed that the F-Holes of 1208201-RR appeared shifted forward, which could designate it as a prototype for the eventual PML. Not sure if this observation is accurate, but it shows that having this information in one searchable place really helps you to be able to see the evolution of designs and differences between models.

I'm consistently amazed when I get each new registry at how beautiful these mandolins are!

Larry

Larry- Elderly had a 21 last fall that sold sometime since.

you go dataman
    Bill

Just remembered the guys handle: Flowerpot, from SC. Thinkin he has a 23 named "The Rat." Also thinkin he had a mando gathering that Hans attended.
    Bill

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Van Liere View Post
    Larry- Elderly had a 21 last fall that sold sometime since.
    Yes, it's sitting next to me.

Larry

I have arguably the last custom mandolin Hans made and will send you info some time.
    You can hear it here, for example:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChtDDRp35YE

It is a stealth with German spruce top.
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education - Mark Twain

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred Hacker View Post
    I have arguably the last custom mandolin Hans made and will send you info some time.
    You can hear it here, for example:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChtDDRp35YE

It is a stealth with German spruce top.
    Nice video and nice playing. I look forward to adding the details to the registry. What is the serial number? If yours is the last, I would be very interested to know the final build total and month/year.

I have 18 instruments documented so far. I'm guessing I have another 180 to go?

Larry

As noted on a few other threads, I have the A4C that is on Hans' site. It is one of the best sounding oval holes I have ever played.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by trevor View Post
    I have two for sale. I will send info sometime next week.
    Trevor got me the info for the two for sale in his shop: a PML and an Eclipse (the first Eclipse in the Registry).

Now I just need 8K and a plane ticket to bring the Eclipse home...

Name:	file_26_30.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	67.5 KB 
ID:	84272

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Larry S Sherman View Post
    I have 18 instruments documented so far. I'm guessing I have another 180 to go?
    Larry
    No, 239
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education - Mark Twain

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    As noted on a few other threads, I have the A4C that is on Hans' site. It is one of the best sounding oval holes I have ever played.
    It's a stunning instrument Jim. I just added it. Gorgeous snakehead!

Name:	a4ft.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	118.6 KB 
ID:	84273

Name:	a4bk.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	121.8 KB 
ID:	84274

Name:	a4ph.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	84275

Larry

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred Hacker View Post
    No, 239
    Thanks Manfred. I have 24 documented now...but apparently another 215 to go.

Larry

Larry, this is my Stealth, which was the first "production" Stealth after the prototype. As you see, it has a one piece back.

http://mandobar.com/mystealth.htm

these pics are from Hans. Just as he was about to ship.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Steve Miklas at acousticmusicworks.com had a few that he has sold. Look through his website. I know my 23v is in the sold section and my L21 is there also, with a nice pic of Charlie Rappaport playing it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    Larry, this is my Stealth, which was the first "production" Stealth after the prototype. As you see, it has a one piece back.

http://mandobar.com/mystealth.htm

these pics are from Hans. Just as he was about to ship.
    Thanks Mary. I put up those pics and a couple from an old thread from 2006.

If you get the serial number I'll add the details.

Larry

Blog Entries

I didn't realize it until Jim mentioned it, that the "C" in Hans' model numbers stands for "Classic", usually vintage Gibson inspirations. I just added a beautiful F4C to the Registry.

Crazy beautiful!

Name:	F4C 1 Front.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	404.5 KB 
ID:	84276

Larry

You need to get hold of Rob Coleman too--he used to hang around here from time to time. Rob's on Facebook, might still have a handle here but I don't know it, and also plays with Bill Geezy and the New Deal in the Twin Cities. He used to have 2-3 Brentrups. Bruce Bernhardt, another MN boy, now has 4 I think: 2 F's and 2 A's. I've emailed him and told him about the registry
    Lost on the trails of The Deep North

I went to a pickin party last night and there were TWO Brentrup F-5C's! They were awesome, too!
    My Youtube Channel: http://bit.ly/1F9sJ8G