Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: The Brentrup Mandolin Registry

Default Re: The Brentrup Mandolin Registry

Yikes! A three-point in the classifieds.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	121388.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	109.3 KB 
ID:	165353
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Price is a bit ambitious. Especially since that $14k one at Carters has been sitting there forever.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Yikes, it must be Brentrup hunting season. Here's a 21V in the classifieds.

Name:	121467.jpeg 
Views:	83 
Size:	155.5 KB 
ID:	165408
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Yes, I saw that one (the three-point) as well.

I'm not close to having 15k to spend on a mandolin (though a Jon Cooper violin is an important item on my retirement planning checklist!), but I am torn between the notion that that 3-point is priced based on its scarcity (only a few made) vs the fact that that particular style of mandolin isn't in high demand. I'd love it, but is it worth 3x the cost an old Gibson f4, 2x-ish a Brentrup F-5 (arguably), Hester F4, or even a couple thou more than the going rate of a Gilchrist F4. I'd love to have that instrument, but I'd also love to buy it at 1/3-1/2 the asking price.

Anyway, it's nice that these things are out there, and nice that people (sellers) post pics of them to distract me from my day job!
    Jim Sims

" Amateurs practice until they get it right - professionals practice until they can't get it wrong."
    "Me?... I don't practice."

iiimandolin#19
    1917 Gibson A-1 Pumpkintop

www.sedentaryramblers.com

I hate to tell you, Jim, but John Cooper has raised his prices. I think they are well over $20k now.

I’m not sure any Brentrup is going to see double digits. It is going to depend on how badly someone wants the instrument. Oval holes of any make generally sell at lower prices. There's lower demand for these models. Lots of folks selling off their collections, and getting a dose of reality these days.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

FWIW when Hans first showed pics of a three-point I asked him how much and back then (probably 10 years ago) he was asking $11K. That doesn't necessarily have any impact on the market price right now but that was what I remember.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post

I am not sure anymore how long I have been playing my 21, but this is the only one I have seen for sale since I got mine, well..... some time ago.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    I hate to tell you, Jim, but John Cooper has raised his prices. I think they are well over $20k now.

I’m not sure any Brentrup is going to see double digits. It is going to depend on how badly someone wants the instrument. Oval holes of any make generally sell at lower prices. There's lower demand for these models. Lots of folks selling off their collections, and getting a dose of reality these days.
    Hmm...talked to Jon in November, and that was his range. I'm a few years away, so today's price isn't that relevant.

I can always work a few more years!
    Jim Sims

" Amateurs practice until they get it right - professionals practice until they can't get it wrong."
    "Me?... I don't practice."

iiimandolin#19
    1917 Gibson A-1 Pumpkintop

www.sedentaryramblers.com

Brentrup Evangelist Larry S Sherman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post

I have this one listed in the registry. Nice M21!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    I am not sure anymore how long I have been playing my 21, but this is the only one I have seen for sale since I got mine, well..... some time ago.
    I really like mine too. My M21 is a bit later:

Name:	front.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	146.7 KB 
ID:	165521

Larry

Blog Entries

You have a good feel for the market and, of course, experience with the instruments. I think the only place double-digits will happen are Brentrup F5C models (Loar specs), F-hole mandolas, and certain Eclipse/Stealth style models. At least, those are the ones I would be considering in that price range.

I can say having owned a 3-point historic-spec Brentrup oval hole that it was a exquisite work of art-amazing attention to detail and playability. A 3-point like that absolutely is worth double-digits in luthier's time to produce, but it will be really hard to get that asking price in today's used-instrument market.

Larry

This M-23 V also showed up in the classifieds recently........

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/121264#121264

NFI
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Quote Originally Posted by Larry S Sherman View Post
    You have a good feel for the market and, of course, experience with the instruments. I think the only place double-digits will happen are Brentrup F5C models (Loar specs), F-hole mandolas, and certain Eclipse/Stealth style models. At least, those are the ones I would be considering in that price range.

I can say having owned a 3-point historic-spec Brentrup oval hole that it was a exquisite work of art-amazing attention to detail and playability. A 3-point like that absolutely is worth double-digits in luthier's time to produce, but it will be really hard to get that asking price in today's used-instrument market.

Larry
    Not sure any of the models will command double digits. The real issue is once someone sells any model from a builder’s portfolio under $2k it deflates the values across the board. That coupled with the fact that many collectors are divesting now, it becomes the law of supply and demand. There are a lot of instruments floating around for sale right now. Many we don’t even get to see. There are also some great new builds going on. Lots of choices if you have the cash. It’s all about economics.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry S Sherman View Post
    I really like mine too. My M21 is a bit later:

Name:	front.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	146.7 KB 
ID:	165521

Larry
    Larry that looks like a photo taken in Han's home. Is that one he gave you or did you go there and take a photo. Mine is newer still with a different headstock logo.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    Larry that looks like a photo taken in Han's home. Is that one he gave you or did you go there and take a photo. Mine is newer still with a different headstock logo.
    Yes, that photo was taken by Hans. I was the second owner of this particular M21.

Larry

I had one of Hans A model blacktops that I purchased from Mary. She may have the specifics, i think it originally came from acoustic music works. Believe it was Carpathian? It was a really great sounding mandolin, the neck (more c-shaped) just didn't fit me.

Mark, I bought that mandolin directly from Hans. It had been on consignment at Greg Boyds but had sustained some damage. My luthier was able to buff out all the finish checking. I believe the top was adirondack. The early A's had really tiny necks. The F5 that I owned had a baseball bat neck, which no matter what I did or had done to it was never very comfortable for me. It was fatiguing to play.

At the end of the day, you have to be comfortable playing the instrument, and like the sound that you can get out of it.

The early A's had really tiny necks. The F5 that I owned had a baseball bat neck, which no matter what I did or had done to it was never very comfortable for me. It was fatiguing to play.
    Thanks Mary. Yes, now i remember that it was a very thin flat c-shaped neck. I don't recall losing any cash when I sold it.

My 21V has a very small C shaped neck and I love it. Makes it hard to play other mandolins with larger necks.
    Last edited by pops1; Mar-03-2018 at 4:25pm.

My A4C has a chunky neck but not unbearable. I got so used to playing it that recently, when I took out my 23 Gibson snakehead it seemed much smaller. That Gibson, for me, has the ideal neck dimensions and if I ever commission a new mandolin I would want to luthier to duplicate that one. In any case, I prefer my mandolin necks on the chunky side—I remember playing one mandolin by a very respected luthier but I hated it because it was so thin, depthwise. I do mind the width and prefer 1-1/8" or narrowers at the nut. I have my RM-1 which has a wider 1-1/4" and can play it but I have to acclimate to the width.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately: