Thread: mandocello tuning on my trinity college Irish bouzouki

Default mandocello tuning on my trinity college Irish bouzouki

Would you recommend doing this? The strings are quite a bit heavier than the normal bouzouki size. Would this put to much tension on a neck that is maybe not designed for it? I'm normally a bass player and I'm looking to keep holding down a lower tone when playing acoustic. I seem to be stepping on the guitars in the normal tuning. i know the cello is used to fill this role sometimes. Does anyone think this would work? Thanks for any info or opinions.

Default Re: mandocello tuning on my trinity college Irish bouzouki

I suspect it's a sure fire way to shorten the lifespan of the 'zouk - zouk's are generally designed for quite light gauge strings to get that "twangy" sound, as a result they often have quite "whippy" necks and thin tops. 'Cellos are much more heavily built for the higher tensions involved, plus the thicker strings need a wider nut to be playable. Just my 2c....

Quote Originally Posted by Tavy View Post
    I suspect it's a sure fire way to shorten the lifespan of the 'zouk - zouk's are generally designed for quite light gauge strings to get that "twangy" sound, as a result they often have quite "whippy" necks and thin tops. 'Cellos are much more heavily built for the higher tensions involved, plus the thicker strings need a wider nut to be playable. Just my 2c....
    That's kinda what I thought, I'm glad I asked instead of just trying it. Thanks.

A safe way to experiment with different tunings without jeopardizing the instrument structurally is to use a string tension calculator, such as the one on Graham MacDonald's website. Start by calculating what the total tension is with the existing string gauges and tuning at your instrument's scale length. Next, calculate what the string gauges would need to be in order to end up with total tension in that same range (give or take a few pounds) for the proposed tuning at that scale length, keeping the individual tensions on each string pretty close to each other. This way you can determine pretty quickly if the tuning you have in mind is even feasible on that instrument, and if so what string gauges you'd need to use.

Pete

Blog Entries

I agree with others for what you want to do I think a full up mandocello would be the best way -- the tension on a set of mandocello strings (4 courses, CGDA) for the typical scale length (24. 5 - 26") is between 270 - 290 lbs most octave necks are designed for total tensions more in the range of 160 - 180 lbs (GDAE) on a 21 - 23" scale -- each instrument will vary of course.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Wouldn't standard tuning w capo @ 5 put you there?

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Griffin View Post
    Wouldn't standard tuning w capo @ 5 put you there?
    Right notes, wrong octave.
    Steve

I strung up a bouzouki with 4 strings in CGDA
    You need a new nut and to raise the bridge

I find the bouzouki body is a little bit small and the low notes dont come out so well
    I am using a 17 inch archtop guitar with 4 strings in CGDA now
    That works ok but the 25.5 inch scale is a little too short for the low C
    I might replace the neck with a 27 inch

Thanks

Robert VanLane