Thread: Humidifying a Bandolim

Default Humidifying a Bandolim

I have looked through many of the threads in the forum and acquired some very useful knowledge, but haven't found quite what I'm looking for.
    I'm bringing a brazilian mandolin (bandolim) to Southern California. The mandolin was built in Rio with a RH level of 77%. In California, the average RH is about 66% but can drop as low as 54%.
    I am planning on getting a humidifier, but I'm wondering if I need to keep the RH level at the upper '70's to prevent warping or shrinkage or other humidity-related issues. Or, would it be best to find out what the RH level is of the workshop where it was built and then replicate that?
    Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Humidifying a Bandolim

Is it a rosewood one or a maple? I think the maple ones do fine with the humidity change. A lot of the rosewood ones do not fare as well. I am not sure what the answer to your question is but I would also think that the humidity in SoCal is much better this time of year than it is in the northeast where I am and where we have seriously dry central heating. I would err on the side of higher humidity but get it acclimated to slightly lower as time goes on. After all you can't humidify it at 77% forever.

BTW, for my own info: who it the maker and how did you decide on which one?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I assume you're bringing it from Brazil to San Diego. Not SLC to SD. Right?

I don't think that drop in humidity is worth even thinking about at this time of year, but just to be safe, humidify your house or apartment—the whole environment the mandolin will live in for awhile—do not rely on spot humidification like a Dampit or a case humidifier. They cause more problems than they solve. As winter turns to summer, it will dry and adjust gently and the most you'll have to chase is some slightly rough fret ends.

If you were going from Brazil to SLC, I'd be worried. Going to SoCal, not such a big deal.
    ph

º º º º º º º º º º º º º º º
    Paul Hostetter, luthier
    Santa Cruz, California
    www.lutherie.net

Thumbs up Re: Humidifying a Bandolim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Is it a rosewood one or a maple? I think the maple ones do fine with the humidity change. A lot of the rosewood ones do not fare as well. I am not sure what the answer to your question is but I would also think that the humidity in SoCal is much better this time of year than it is in the northeast where I am and where we have seriously dry central heating. I would err on the side of higher humidity but get it acclimated to slightly lower as time goes on. After all you can't humidify it at 77% forever.

BTW, for my own info: who it the maker and how did you decide on which one?
    Thank you, this helps a lot.

I am purchasing a 10-string Lucenir bandolim. Lucenir has a good reputation and has made instruments for De Souto for thirty some odd years. He is now on his own and makes high quality instruments with great detail to build and sound, but without the exaggerated finish. This one has a cedar top and a imbuia back and sides, radiused fretboard and radiused bone bridge. The woods certainly aren't the best tone woods available. Ideally, I'd get one with a maple back and sides, however I happen to know someone in Brazil right now and he's going to get for a very reasonable price and bring it to me. I am not ready to put 2000.00 toward a bandolim. Maybe someday.

What do you know about cedar and imbuia regarding humidity? I seem imbuia is a lot like maple in that is it hard, punchy, and has good lows and highs. I'm more worried about the cedar top. What do you think?

I truly appreciate your comments.

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Hostetter View Post

I don't think that drop in humidity is worth even thinking about at this time of year, but just to be safe, humidify your house or apartment—the whole environment the mandolin will live in for awhile—do not rely on spot humidification like a Dampit or a case humidifier. They cause more problems than they solve. As winter turns to summer, it will dry and adjust gently and the most you'll have to chase is some slightly rough fret ends.

If you were going from Brazil to SLC, I'd be worried. Going to SoCal, not such a big deal.
    Thank you for you comments. Actually, going from Brazil to SLC to Long Beach. It will be in SLC for about two weeks then down to Long Beach permanently.

I'll definitely take your advice and humidify the whole environment.

Thank you.

If you could bypass SLC altogether, it would be better.

FWIW, the cedar in the top is the same cedar they make roof shingles from. It's incredibly tough. Likewise, imbuye is very tractible as a tonewood (one my favorite and most heavily traveled guitars is cedar and imbuye, it's crack free since 1979)
    ph

Paul Hostetter, luthier
    Santa Cruz, California
    www.lutherie.net

I hadn't heard of that maker. Interesting. Like this one? I don't see him in the database either. Does he have a web site?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s_MLB_v_F_f_225664083_9361.jpg 
Views:	371 
Size:	173.4 KB 
ID:	83244  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I hadn't heard of that maker. Interesting. Like this one? I don't see him in the database either. Does he have a web site?
    Yes, just like that. I did some research through a Brazilian friend of mine. I don't believe he has a website. I'll get some more info and share with you.

I would love to hear more about and see some pictures when you get it.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

. . . do not rely on spot humidification like a Dampit or a case humidifier. They cause more problems than they solve. . . .
    What kind of problems? I just got a Dampit so am curious . . .
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

In Boston there's some justification for a Dampit as temporary humidification. Just be careful not to let it piddle inside your instrument. It would be far better, in the dry building interiors of New England winter, to raise the humidity of the whole space than to try to keep a mini-cloud around just the mandolin.
    ph

Paul Hostetter, luthier
    Santa Cruz, California
    www.lutherie.net

In Boston there's some justification for a Dampit as temporary humidification. Just be careful not to let it piddle inside your instrument..
    I don't like them...they do piddle, when over filled, when resting wrong, and when the rubber starts to deteriorate.

Crikey, and I thought the subject line had something to do with fine imported cigars!
    Rob Grant
    FarOutNorthQueensland,Oz
    http://www.grantmandolins.com