Thread: Cheap cittern or mandocello??

Question Cheap cittern or mandocello??

i've been keeping an eye out for a cittern or mandocello, but they seem to all go for $2000 or more. is there anywhere i might find one for $1000 or less?

i guess the other option is a guitar conversion... can anyone direct me to instructions on how to do that?

thanks!

Default Re: Cheap cittern or mandocello??

There aren't a lot of citterns / 'cellos out there for under $1k.

There's a used "Evan White" 'cello on the SF Craigslist for $800, but it looks suspiciously like an "Antonio Tsai" Vietnamese beast. Lots of glitz, but I suspect the tone will be lacking (I haven't tried it).

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/msg/2845495958.html

I bought a nice Loar (archtop guitar) conversion to a 'cello off the Cafe about a year ago for $800. So they're available. Just keep looking!
    EdSherry

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by EdSherry View Post
    T... bought a nice Loar (archtop guitar) conversion to a 'cello off the Cafe about a year ago for $800. So they're available. Just keep looking!
    I expect that I will not be keeping a mandocello conversion project that I am working on -- see this thread:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...ocello-project

Just FYI, it will fall below your price range -- but first I have to finish it!

Sure bet that Loar is a great mandocello Eddie. Not to hijack this thread but I assume that Loar guitar had a 1 11/16" nut? I saw a brand new Loar jumbo arch top guitar hanging in an instrument shop in Birmingham, AL a couple of weeks ago -- we stopped there to buy a concertina and I was tempted to buy that guitar. (I had quite a time parking our 39-foot RV with the Jeep in tow on the narrow street!!). Thinking those guitars should make a wonderful mandocello platform!

I would love to know how the luthier who converted yours handled dividing the space on the nut for the mandocello strings -- i.e., inter-string and inter-course distances. Do you still have a pic of the nut of that one?
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Steve Wishsnevsky in Winston-Salem builds a variety of instruments and sells them quite inexpensively. The designs are sometimes odd, and I haven't played any so can't recommend, but they start around $600. Here's his website, and here's a relatively recent Cafe thread about his mandocellos.

Mike Soares of Soares'y Guitars used to have a variety of odd instruments, including mandocellos, built in Portugal, and sold in the US, mainly on eBay. They were pretty rough-and-ready, especially in terms of fit and finish, but interesting and playable. Prices were low, generally around $500 or so. However, according to the Soares Guitars website, all he's doing now is buying pre-cut solid bodies for electric guitars, fitting them with necks and pickups, and re-selling them. A used Soares'y 'cello might turn up from time to time, who knows...?
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Ovation MC868 Mandocello in the Classifieds.... MFI

Chief Moderator/Shepherd Ted Eschliman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'll spare Eddie from having to plug the sale of his own instrument. NFI, but his Ovation mandocello listing is really a good instrument. John Jorgenson talked me into buying one he used at a store clinic we held, and I owned it for years. The Ovation design is terrific for handling high tension, and it played about as easily as anything with that thick of strings. I thought the sound was good acoustically, and even better plugged in.

Highly recommended.
    Ted Eschliman

Author, Getting Into Jazz Mandolin

cool, thanks for all the leads folks!

Thanks for the plug Ted - MFI (massive financial interest)...