Thread: Is this where I can get some help identifying?

Default Is this where I can get some help identifying?

Hi. I know nothing about anything to do with Mandolins... or, quite frankly, anything to do with stringed instruments in general. I only know its a mandolin because the guy at the auction said it was

Yes, that's right... auction. I was at a self-storage foreclosure auction yesterday and I bought a few miscellaneous items. Among the more interesting was an electric 8-string mandolin. It looks to be in generally good shape, but what do I know? There's no markings of any sort to identify a brand, maker, land of origin... nothing. I paid $70 (well, I guess it was $86.25 after fees and taxes. No accessories... no case, no cables... nothing.

I didn't realize until I got it home that something (the "pick up" I believe its called) makes a "thunk" noise when I turn the instrument over. Only one of the two does this. I can't imagine that's normal so any comments on that would be helpful too.

In general, I want to know if I did OK with the $70 price and whether this is something I maybe can sell? Can learn to play without paying 10x more to repair? or perhaps just hang on the wall because I think it looks neat.

now, let's see if I can figure out how to attach photos...

Cheers.

- Steven

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0077.JPG 
Views:	136 
Size:	123.1 KB 
ID:	82565Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0078.JPG 
Views:	130 
Size:	122.0 KB 
ID:	82566Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0079.JPG 
Views:	115 
Size:	102.6 KB 
ID:	82567Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0080.JPG 
Views:	132 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	82568Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0081.JPG 
Views:	125 
Size:	106.0 KB 
ID:	82569Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0082.JPG 
Views:	134 
Size:	126.0 KB 
ID:	82570Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0084.JPG 
Views:	125 
Size:	121.3 KB 
ID:	82571Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0085.JPG 
Views:	127 
Size:	103.0 KB 
ID:	82572

Default Re: Is this where I can get some help identifying?

Looks similar to a Pacrim import. This from a site in the UK under the brand Maestro.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mandolin%202563.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	16.3 KB 
ID:	82573  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Lol... 42.00 GBP... so I didn't so so hot at $70

Oh well, you win some you lose some. Thanks.

Well, it looks like all you need to do is either loosen the strings up or take them off completely, take out the 3 small screws on the black pick-guard, take off the small hex nut that is on the 1/4" input jack next to the volume control and you should be able to take off the whole pick-guard (pickups and all). This should show you what is making that noise I would think. Maybe then take some more pics and post them.

As far as making it playable, if you tell us where you are located we can probably suggest someone around you that can look it over and do a basic setup to make it playable and no that shouldn't cost you much.

Then again, that "buy this product" link on that page takes me to some totally unrelated sporting goods store.

So to those that know... is this thing worth anything or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Dfyngravity View Post
    Well, it looks like all you need to do is either loosen the strings up or take them off completely, take out the 3 small screws on the black pick-guard, take off the small hex nut that is on the 1/4" input jack next to the volume control and you should be able to take off the whole pick-guard (pickups and all). This should show you what is making that noise I would think. Maybe then take some more pics and post them.

As far as making it playable, if you tell us where you are located we can probably suggest someone around you that can look it over and do a basic setup to make it playable and no that shouldn't cost you much.
    I did take it apart as you said... that's how I determined it was the pickup making that noise. Though I can't figure out why its making that noise.

I'm in Kelowna, BC Canada. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by s_mack View Post
    I did take it apart as you said... that's how I determined it was the pickup making that noise. Though I can't figure out why its making that noise.

I'm in Kelowna, BC Canada. Thanks.
    You should be able to take off the black pickup cover. Unscrew the pickup from the pickgaurd....

I'm not 100% sure I follow. Do you mean the 4 (2 each) larger screws? Or you mean remove the strings/pickguard again (I've since put it back together) and unscrew something else? The two larger screws are adjustments... on the underside are springs. I'm sure you know that, I'm just describing it to be sure we're talking about the same thing.

Yes you would have to take the pickguard off again. The two large screws hold the pickup on the pickguard, they also adjust the height. As you tighten them, they raise the pickup towards the strings and as you loosen them the pickup lowers. If you take the pickguard off you can loosen the screws until the pickup comes completely off.

And then what would I be doing? They looked like they were just sealed plastic boxes with one wire going into each.

Can you post any pics? I was thinking that the pickup was loose and that's what was causing the sound.....something has to be moving around if it does it when you turn the mando upside down or what not....

OK, I'll do that when I get a chance. They seemed like they were a sealed box, but I guess the top is probably just a cover and the spring pressure is holding it together. I'll give it another go.