Thread: Customize My Fender?

Hey folks,
    I own a late model 5-string fender. It is completely stock--not real impressive on the tone end of the pool. action and all around playability are fair to middlin'. Since you folks appear to be the authority on emandos, I thought I would request a roll call of your experiences and general ideas on upgrades for this mando or similar models. I was eventually planning on replacing the two single coils with Ryder models; as it has been dificult to find many mando specific pickup(I have never heard one with bass pickups?).
    Any feedback would be great.
    Thanks,

Although I haven't gotten around to doing it yet, the Ryder pickup is what was originally recommended to me when I bought my Fender 5 string.

I fitted an EMG select [stacked strat format humbucker] in place of the original one on my fm61se. I put it in a replacement pickguard I made, sawn out of blank sheet from stew mac,[jewlers saw mostly]
    Also, my Custom 4 string has a fender lace sensor. bill lawrence is another blade cored non individual polepiece pickup to use,more output mV than the others mentioned. for the hardrocker in you. also hotter; Blue and Red type of lace-sensors.
    if its set in askew (at an angle ) it looks as if it were made for the purpose, too. [an EMG is what that Rigelcaster used,square to the strings, I note.]

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Hmmm, I might have to try that. So, did you replace the original 2 pickup configuration with a single EMG? Those PUs seem to be pretty reasonably priced too. One big problem I have with the orignal PU on the Fender is there is that the output for the e string is really low compared to the other strings. Doesn't matter which PU I have selected. Don't know if it is the PU or the string... I wonder if a "dead" string would cause that? Maybe I'll try some new strings... It's past time to change them anyway.

7000 ft up in the High Sierra east of Porterville.

I had a Fender 5 string. I now play a Schwab 4 string with dual pickups. You only live once, GO FOR THE GOLD!!!!
    John

Yeah, I hear you John. I just don't play it enough to justify replacing it with something more expensive. I was looking at a Ryder for a while. I play my Rigel A+ most of the time. But, we are trying to get together a little group to play some Irish Punk for St. Paddy's day... Flogging Molly, Pogues, sort of stuff. Thought it might be good to break out the Fender with distortion pedal.