Page 1 of 13 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sorensen Mandolins

Question Sorensen Mandolins

Has anyone played one of these? How does it sound and what do you think?

Americanadian Andrew B. Carlson's Avatar

Default Re: Sorensen Mandolins

Never played one. Spruce may know more.
    Mandolin, Guitar, & Bass for Doug Rawling & The Caraganas
    www.dougrawling.com
    2008 Kentucky KM-1000
    2014 Martin D-28 Authentic 1937
    1964 Gibson LG-0
    2022 Sigma SDR-45VS

I had the pleasure of spending some time with Steve Sorensen (luthier of Sorensen Mandolins) today. I was able to play a number of his completed mandolins as well as a prototype. They all had exceptional tone and bark. What I liked most was that, as a luthier, he truly understood my feelings about the instrument. He had a few mandolins in progress with a number of different tone woods and what was compelling was the fact that he knows the history of the wood he uses.

I'm seriously considering working with him to create the perfect mandolin for me.

He graciously allowed me to snap a few pics of mandolins in progress to post.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Two Mandos in Progress.jpg 
Views:	650 
Size:	283.1 KB 
ID:	82041Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Two Point Headstock.jpg 
Views:	578 
Size:	374.8 KB 
ID:	82042Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F-Style Headstock.jpg 
Views:	581 
Size:	387.7 KB 
ID:	82043

I know this is an old thread but here's an update:

I'm glad Steve started building my mandolin before Ted Eschliman compared his 'Sprite' to Scott Tischnor's Nugget!

http://jazzmando.com/sorensen_sprite_mandolin.shtml

I remember playing that same mandolin. I was seriously considering going with a different tone wood for the top. But, after hearing the the crisp snap of the 'Sprite', I changed my mind and went with the Red Spruce for my 'Pacifica'. After playing my 'Pacifica' (in the white) last month, I knew I had made the right decision.

I seriously think that my MAS has been cured. But on the off chance that it isn't, maybe a 'Sprite' to go with the 'Pacifica'!

I have a Pacifica model on order from Steve. I know its going to look great and I expect it will sound great too. I will report back when I have it in my hands.
    Trevor
    Formerly of The Acoustic Music Co (TAMCO) Brighton England now retired.

I got my new Sorensen mandolin, the Pacificia, at the end of Dec. 2011. I was really happy to get it and am even happier now after playing it for 4 months! The sound is mellowing out nicely. The best thing about it is that the sound loudly resonates and cuts through in a jam. The tone is nice and bright without being tinny, good bass, and it is easy to play. I would describe the sound as "ringing like a bell", which is what I was looking for! Beyond that, the craftsmanship is impeccable - really flawless! It is a first rate instrument and under-priced in my opinion. I have looked at a lot of luthier made instruments at music festivals, and this is my favorite! I feel lucky.

Thought I'd post a little update here.

I've had my Sorensen Pacifica "Mimi" for about 5 months. She sounded beautiful when I got her, full bottom end and bell-like highs. And, she keeps sounding better and better. Maybe I'm getting better because I want to play more!

Did anyone get a chance to play one at IBMA?

Here's a picture at the beach!

Name:	Mimi at the Beach.jpg 
Views:	523 
Size:	150.6 KB 
ID:	92144

I have recently gotten my own Sorensen.. All I can say is WOW.. It's a beast of a mandolin.. Plays amazing and feels great to hold.. Top notch mandolins!!!

Oh and one other thing.. I just about gave Steve a heart attack.. I texted him and said I had a problem with the mandolin. He called with great concern only to find out my problem is I can't put her down..lol.. She makes me wanna play alot more!!

9. The following members say thank you to Lee Roy for this post:

I had the chance to play three of his mandolins last week. While they had different personalities, they shared some of the same tonal qualities. Each rang out clear and focused with lots of volume. What is super important to me is the set up. I'm very picky about how an instrument plays and I felt that I didn't need to get used to the mandolins. Usually it'll take me a while to warm up to how an instrument is set up but in this case they all had excellent string spacing, action and the necks felt great. Very clean work all around, from the finishes and outstanding woods.

11. The following members say thank you to Austin Koerner for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Koerner View Post
    I had the chance to play three of his mandolins last week. While they had different personalities, they shared some of the same tonal qualities. Each rang out clear and focused with lots of volume. What is super important to me is the set up. I'm very picky about how an instrument plays and I felt that I didn't need to get used to the mandolins. Usually it'll take me a while to warm up to how an instrument is set up but in this case they all had excellent string spacing, action and the necks felt great. Very clean work all around, from the finishes and outstanding woods.
    I agree Austin!! Hard to find mandolins like these!! Such great axes!!

13. The following members say thank you to Lee Roy for this post:

I agree Austin!! Hard to find mandolins like these!! Such great axes!!

I sold my first from Steve a Pacifica to a regular customer who owns and has owned a lot of great mandolins. Here's what he says.

"Hi Trevor , the Sorensen arrived this evening, it's an all round beautiful mandolin.
    The chop is powerful and the action is superb. I can see myself spending a lot of time with it."
    Trevor
    Formerly of The Acoustic Music Co (TAMCO) Brighton England now retired.

16. The following members say thank you to trevor for this post:

Registered User Justus True Waldron's Avatar

Hey Lee - it was nice getting to pick with you and Harry for a few at the Sorensen booth, and congrats on the new mandolin!

I played all of the mandolins there at the booth and liked the one Lee got the most, but I thought they all sounded exceptionally good and played very well. More then enough bass for my taste but very clear and powerful highs as well. Personally there were some things I would change about the look/design if I was ordering one, but again that's just a matter of opinion. I would estimate I tried about 30 different mandolins at IBMA between the convention hall, Gruhns, and various artists there I'd swap mandos with, and I'd easily place all of the Sorensens in the top 10 of the ones I tried in terms of sound and play-ability. I wish Steve great success with his mandolins, and based on what I saw and heard I believe he'll be seeing that.
    - 2004 Macica A
    - 1952 Selmer Centered Tone
    - Eastwood electric mandola
    (and lots more)

18. The following members say thank you to Justus True Waldron for this post:

Hey Justus...

It was great to pick with ya!! See ya soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Roy View Post
    I have recently gotten my own Sorensen.. All I can say is WOW.. It's a beast of a mandolin.. Plays amazing and feels great to hold.. Top notch mandolins!!!
    Enjoy Lee! Steve makes a fine instrument!

21. The following members say thank you to Bob Bronow for this post:

What model and wood combination did Lee get?

I got the F8 Floral.. Bearclaw Sitka Spruce top.. Beautiful one pc Quilted Red Maple back!!! Just an awesome pc of work!!

Anyone play and compare a Sorensen with a northfield ?

the Sorensen were great mandolins ,good sound,workmanship,playability
    Danny
    Danny Clark

26. The following members say thank you to Danny Clark for this post:

Bob, I recently bought the Pacifica from Trevor's shop in Brighton, England. Steve Sorensen informs me that the wood in mine is the sister wood of yours ( Does that make us brothers? ) and I must say it sounds remarkably like your Mimi, as I played along with you on that great Video you posted. Regards, Gerry Barry.

28. The following members say thank you to gerry barry for this post:

Thanks to all the great players that stopped by our booth to play the new Sorensen Mandos. The response from everyone was very supportive and we appreciate all the feedback. We will be at several guitar shows and festivals this coming year and hope to see cafe members around the country as we try and spread the word

Randy Torno
    Sorensen Mandolin & Guitar Co.

Quote Originally Posted by gerry barry View Post
    Bob, I recently bought the Pacifica from Trevor's shop in Brighton, England. Steve Sorensen informs me that the wood in mine is the sister wood of yours ( Does that make us brothers? ) and I must say it sounds remarkably like your Mimi, as I played along with you on that great Video you posted. Regards, Gerry Barry.
    That's awesome Barry!

Yes your Pacifica is from the same piece of quilted maple. Here's how she started out:

Name:	Quilted Maple.jpeg 
Views:	548 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	92371

I don't know how he did it, but Steve was able to listen to my description of the "sound" I was looking for and put it into the mandolin!

My only hope is that some day I'll become as good of a player my Pacifica is a mandolin!

Enjoy!

Just gotta say.. My mando is a monster!!! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	644559_290171754421798_1234206178_n.jpg 
Views:	405 
Size:	76.3 KB 
ID:	92585

An impromptu jam at the Sorensen table during IBMA 2012. Sure was a fun week . . . with very little sleep.

Steve
    Steve Sorensen
    Sorensen Mandolin & Guitar Co.
    www.sorensenstrings.com

Registered User Justus True Waldron's Avatar

Hey there I am! I mega spaced out on that break... oh well, it was fun. Did the one of the fiddle tune we did come out at all? Thanks for posting!
    - 2004 Macica A
    - 1952 Selmer Centered Tone
    - Eastwood electric mandola
    (and lots more)