Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone NOT like Blue Chip picks?

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

Default Anyone NOT like Blue Chip picks?

Well, the thread is up to 62 pages of people mainly gushing about this costly little babies.
    Could this be, at least in part, folks justifying their spending so much for a little hunk o' plastic?
    Please understand, I don't mean to sound snarky about this. It's kind of human nature to do that, and I know I've done it myself about some purchases I've made over the years.
    I'll admit that I haven't tried Blue Chips yet, but I find it hard to believe that they are THAT much better than my current favorites which ran a princely $4.50 for a 3 pack.
    Anyone in the NY Capital District have a BC and want to change my mind?
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

2. The following members say thank you to Paul Busman for this post:

Default Re: Anyone NOT like Blue Chip picks?

You do sound snarky. If you don't want to spend the money, then don't, it doesn't matter.

Just try one to find out for sure. I you still don't like it, you can send it back.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

I dont like it very much bought a rounded triangle 50 and its too bright for my taste plays good i like the grip but just too bright. I use wegen m50 on guitar and Dawg2 pn the mando

I have have a TP50-1R and it sounds just fine to me and it glides through the strings smoothly. It is well worth the money. And yes I have tried the Wegans, Red Bear, Ultek, Jazzmando, Fender and many others, I still like the Blue Chip the best.

A person who builds really expensive (and nice, I must say!) musical instruments could be said to "live in a glass house" when it comes to throwing stones. One can most certainly make awesome music with a 75-cent Fender Heavy mandolin pick...or with a $29.95 plastic alto recorder.

If I bought a $35 pick, or a $350 pick for that matter, and it did not produce a pleasing sound I would get rid of it just as certainly as a 75-cent one. Why on earth would you think someone who likes an expensive pick is lying just to justify having spent a little bit of money? I've spent more than $35 on a meal or a bottle of wine before. It does not require justification.

Someone told me Red Bear picks were awesome. Expensive but worth it. I tried a couple of them, didn't really care much for the sound (or the lack of durability) so I got rid of them. Someone told me Blue Chip picks were awesome. Expensive but worth it. So I tried a couple of them and loved the sound, feel and durability. So I still own and use them. Both brands are similarly expensive, one is worth it and the other isn't to me. Might be other way 'round for the next guy.
    The first man who whistled
    thought he had a wren in his mouth.
    He went around all day
    with his lips puckered,
    afraid to swallow.

--"The First" by Wendell Berry

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brent Hutto For This Useful Post:

I just got a TPR-60 for Christmas that is a very nice pick. I like the shape, thickness, feel, etc. No complaints. But, I do not like it better than my Wegens of same shape and size. I personally don't hear much of a difference, at least not a $30 difference. Of course, I spend a WHOLE lot more for my fiddle bows...

I got one as a gift. It is a great pick. I doubt I would ever buy one though.

I might have liked a thicker one ai bought a pack of m100 wegens and hated them but loved m150s

Y-a-w-n z-z-z-z-z--z-z-z-

I really don't understand all of this fuss over the price. Many of us have $2K or $3K mandolins (or maybe even more), a $75 Tone Gard, a $55 Cumberland Acoustics bridge. All of these things can make a big difference in the sound of the music we make. But mention a $35 pick, which can make just as big of a difference, and everyone goes nuts about the cost. Is it just because it's small. I know several people who who easily fork over $75 - $100 for a tortoise shell pick, yet a Blue Chip doesn't harm any animals and lasts about 100 times longer. I, personally, think it is one of the best picks made. It's smoother than any pick I have ever used, it has a fantastic grip, and has a wonderful tone IMO. However, after using one for several months, I found I couldn't get the volume I needed from it and I found myself playing harder and sloppier, so I tried a few other things and discovered I like the Gravity Picks the most. But at least I tried it. I am not going to sit back and complain about a product I haven't tried. As far as the cost is concerned, if it makes my mandolin sing, than it's worth every penny.
    Larry Hunsberger

Ibanez PF5

I love my Blue Chip pick. I have the TAD 50. It feels great - doesn't slip even though the surface is smooth. It sounds much better to me than any other pick I have tried so far, including Wegen. It slides across the strings easily. I'm no pro, and I'm not concerned about playing super-loud, so the Blue Chip is fine with me. Makes me feel like I'm getting my money's worth of sound from my Collings.

Me for one. The BC seemed to get stuck in my fingers. I had a TPR or TAD 60 that just didn't float my boat. Traded it with a cafe member for an assortment of picks. If I had realized I didn't like before the 30 day return policy was up, I might have swapped it with the BC folks for a thinner pick.
    Just visiting.

1923 Gibson A jr Paddlehead mandolin
    Newish Muddy M-4 Mandolin
    New Deering Goodtime Special open back 17 Fret Tenor Banjo

I agree with Mandobart. I have one. I like it better than the Wegens I used to use, but I don't think it's $30 better. If I lost it tomorrow I wouldn't pay another $35 to replace it. I'd go back to using Wegens.

I have a TPR60 in bolth of my mandolin cases and if I lost one I'd get another one. No big deal ... I just like them a lot.
    I Pick, Therefore I Grin! ... "Good Music Any OLD-TIME"

1922 Gibson F2
    2006 Gibson F5 Goldrush
    2015 Martin HD28-V
    2017 Gibson J45

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Busman View Post
    Well, the thread is up to 62 pages of people mainly gushing about this costly little babies.
    Could this be, at least in part, folks justifying their spending so much for a little hunk o' plastic?
    Nah.

Please understand, I don't mean to sound snarky about this.
    Not a problem.

I'll admit that I haven't tried Blue Chips yet, but I find it hard to believe that they are THAT much better than my current favorites which ran a princely $4.50 for a 3 pack.
    Many folks find that they are THAT much better. Seriously.

At $4.50 for 3, thats a savings of $33.50 per pick, but since you would only buy one, and you only need one at a time, you saved $30.50. Once. One time savings. You can take someone out to dinner, (twice if its a diner), and spend the rest of your life with what may be an inferior pick.

Picks are not a commodity, like strings, that need to be replaced on a regular basis. Unless you lose them. So don't lose them.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

With Blue Chip picks not being available in the UK,i've only had the chance to try the one belonging to a fellow UK 'Cafe member.It was thicker than my Wegen 1.0 mm pick & as usual with all the 'thick'(er) picks i've tried,i found the tone very 'rounded' & lacking in 'attack' (to me). Right now,the 1.0 mm Wegen Bluegrass picks,are the best sounding 'to my ears' for me.I thought that the Blue Chip pick material seemed 'very similar' to the material used in the Dunlop 'Tortex' picks that i have 3 of,& they had the same 'feel' to them as well - once again,it's all a matter of personal choice & opinion,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

The first 2 replies to this question were immediately on the attack, this alone seems to confirm what Paul was talking about,

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

Mine was a response to another pointless question.

Quote Originally Posted by mandobassman View Post
    I really don't understand all of this fuss over the price. Many of us have $2K or $3K mandolins (or maybe even more), a $75 Tone Gard, a $55 Cumberland Acoustics bridge. All of these things can make a big difference in the sound of the music we make. But mention a $35 pick, which can make just as big of a difference, and everyone goes nuts about the cost. Is it just because it's small
    Two reasons: 1) Because it's just a piece of plastic. Might be a really nice, high-tech, well made piece of plastic, but that's all it is. and 2) Picks don't make mandolins sound better, players do. I get Compton to play my mandolin with a $0.35 pick and I guarantee he will still sound like Compton. I play it with a $35 pick and I will still sound like me (unfortunately!). Like I said, I got a BC as a gift, I use it, it's a great pick, but it does not make me sound better. I make me sound better.

"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."
    Last edited by John Flynn; Jan-30-2012 at 6:29am.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John Flynn For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hanson View Post
    The first 2 replies to this question were immediately on the attack, this alone seems to confirm what Paul was talking about,

Dave H
    I was one of those first two posts and I don't think my response was on the "attack" at all. I am just simply saying that I find it hard to criticize others comments about a particular product unless you try it yourself. They have a return policy for goodness sake. What other pick maker does that? I do believe people sometimes have pre-conceived ideas about something that influences their opinion. I find that is true with tailpieces. But, I have tried a cast tailpiece and formed my own opinion. I have also tried 3 different Blue Chip Picks and formed my own opinion. Paul admits he hasn't tried a BC, yet hes criticizes and questions others' opinions. Try one, form your own opinion, then post!
    Larry Hunsberger

Ibanez PF5

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Busman View Post
    Please understand, I don't mean to sound snarky about this. It's kind of human nature to do that, and I know I've done it myself about some purchases I've made over the years.
    Anyone in the NY Capital District have a BC and want to change my mind?
    You're charging $250 for a pennywhistle on your web site and out here busting chops because of a $35 pick? You're certainly the expert on all things pricing in my book.

(psssst. It's just a piece of wood and a bit of metal).

Carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by John Flynn View Post
    Two reasons: 1) Because it's just a piece of plastic. Might be a really nice, high-tech, well made piece of plastic, but that's all it is. and 2) Picks don't make mandolins sound better, players do. I get Compton to play my mandolin with a $0.35 pick and I guarantee he will still sound like Compton. I play it with a $35 pick and I will still sound like me (unfortunately!). Like I said, I got a BC as a gift, I use it, it's a great pick, but it does not make me sound better. I make me sound better.

"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."
    Nobody is blaming a tool for anything. But a pick is just that, a tool. It has a tremendous effect on tone, just as strings do. No one is saying the BC will suddenly make you be a better player. It is simply another choice. If it gives you the tone and feel you need then the cost is not an issue. The cost only seems to be an issue for those who haven't tried them and want to tell everyone else they are wasting their money. At least you did try one. But no one has made claims of BC making them sound better. It's just a personal preference.
    Larry Hunsberger

Ibanez PF5

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Tichenor View Post
    You're charging $250 for a pennywhistle on your web site and out here busting chops because of a $35 pick? You're certainly the expert on all things pricing in my book.

(psssst. It's just a piece of wood and a bit of metal).

Carry on.
    Amen!
    Larry Hunsberger

Ibanez PF5

Now if someone could just show me how to make my left hand just as happy for another $35, I'd be very grateful.