Thread: replacement 1928 Gibson A-4 case and end nut

Default replacement 1928 Gibson A-4 case and end nut

Hello,
    This is my first post to MandolinCafe and I am glad to be here!
    I recently purchased a 1928 Gibson A-4 that comes in it's original case. I want to buy a new case not only to keep the original in tip=top shape but to give the mando more protection as the original case is missing some padding. Any recommenations?

Also, the mandolin is missing its end nut. The local violin store would slightly ream out the hole slightly to fit a new end pin but I'm not about to start there. Ideally I'd like to get an original but it sounds like a long shot. Any recommendations?
    Thanks,
    Glad to be on the mandolincafe.
    Chris

Default Re: replacement 1928 Gibson A-4 case and end nut

Welcome to the forum. I spotted this case on eBay for an A-style mando - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Musicians-Ge...item20c1b82236

You should also visit StewMac to find an end-pin to fit your A-4. If they are slightly too big to fit the existing hole, then I would suggest shaving the end-pin itself to fit, so you don't alter your mandolin.
    Visit www.fox-guitars.com - cool Gibson & Epiphone history and more. Vintage replacement mandolin pickguards

I'll second pfox14..the cases are nice and work fine..music123 dot com sell the same case for the same price with free shipping as well,I use them all the time for old A models..stewmac for the endpin.
    Hughes F-5 #1
    Hughes A model #1
    1922 Gibson A-2
    1958 Gibson A-5

You could also contact Gail Hester for an end pin replacement that would be an appropriate match
    for the original. She is a regular here.

I have a few of the earlier version of the case pictured above and they are certainly utilitarian. I use them for my lower end and cheaper instruments. I would prefer an arched case such as this one. I have a few of the TKLs for my Gibson As and they are excellent protection.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I would prefer an arched case such as this one. I have a few of the TKLs for my Gibson As and they are excellent protection.
    I also think the TKL / Canadian arched lid case are fantastics for those Gibson As. When ordering though, you may want to make sure that the case has some kind of neck support to keep the neck in place when the mandolin is inside. I have a couple of these TKLs that don't have such a support. As a result, the headstock can bounce around a bit when the case is being carried.

Thanks for the quick responses. I think this site is the best thing to happen to the mandolin world since...well, Mandolins.
    Thanks