Thread: Epiphone Mandobird IV Amplification

Question Epiphone Mandobird IV Amplification

Hi there,

Looking for a little practice amp to complement an Epiphone Mandobird IV, which I've ordered. Not sure about the subject of amplification though. As it's a solid body should I just buy a guitar practice amp, or get an acoustic one instead? I've read that the acoustic amp gives a more genuine mandolin tone, even for solid bodies. If anyone with experience in amplifying this particular product can offer some suggestions it would be very appreciated.

Now, as this is my first post here's a potted musical background;

Been noodling about on the mando for a couple of decades on and off. Learnt fiddle, piano and button accordion along the way, but mandolin was always my first love. All self-taught. Starter instrument was a Washburn 2-point M7-SN, with a pickup right inside as an after-market add-on. After having it stolen, bought a Fender FM-52E on my honeymoon, of all places, about 12 years ago, which then lay quietly collecting dust for virtually the entire time, whilst the missus and I raised a family.

Anyway, now the kids are a bit older I finally, not sure what came over me, pulled the old Fender out and started playing it again. Three months later and with callouses refreshed I am, once again, in love with all things mando! Now getting a new electric model to loosen things up well and good, whilst figuring out what kind of acoustic mando I should go for, later on down the track.

Cheers from Sydney Australia.

BTW; This is a great forum, I've learnt heaps.
    Last edited by Mercury; Jan-13-2012 at 6:19am.

Default Re: Epiphone Mandobird IV Amplification

Depends on what sound you want. An acoustic amp will give a very nice clean sound, although you won't sound exactly like an acoustic mandolin. However, a guitar amp will give you that clean sound PLUS all kinds of distorted/overdriven/effects-laden sounds. Way fun, if you're into that at all. Lots of choices too. My first amp, used with an acoustic-electric Ovation mandolin, was a Roland Cube 20. I now use a Night Train and a Blues Junior, both tube amps, with a hollow-body electric octave mando. Still too much fun.

BTW, let me know how you like the mandobird. I keep being tempted.

Thanks for your reply CelticDude. When I had my Washburn acoustic mod all those years back, I was running it with a 15w Marshall which made it sound a bit tinny, unless it was in overdrive or something. Maybe because it wasn't a solid body?

I'll let you know on the Mandobird. By most accounts it sounds kinda awesome.

Welcome back to the game, Mercury. It's always great to see other Aussies around the cafe.
    Being a magnetic pickup you're not going to achieve a true acoustic sound, but they do sound pleasing in a nice clean amp. I personally run mine (an VIII) into electric amp, and use a variety of drive, delay, poly octave effects etc. Tons of fun.
    I will warn you now that along with the purchase of another acoustic mandolin, you will probably get to the point where you're ready to upgrade electronics etc. Plenty of info here on doing this, make a coffee, do a search (pretty easy to do) there are dozens of threads on the subject, be sure to shout if you need help or advise.
    Keep us posted on how you go with your endeavor , and have fun along your way.
    Hereby & forthwith, any instrument with an odd number of strings shall be considered broken. With regard to mix levels, usually the best approach is treating the mandolin the same as a cowbell.

Hello Ben. Thanks for the warm welcome from a fellow Aussie! The mando bug has well and truly bitten me again, big time! I've been looking through a number of old threads the past few weeks, both in this electrics section and about 2-points of course, which are my favourite mando form factor. Wondering what kind of amp you're pumping through your Mandobird 8-string? Also, what sorts of mods, if any, have you done on it since purchase?

I run my electrics through a Blackstar HT-5 stack, which has enough eq and tone sculpting to pull a pleasing sound. ( Not all guitar amps can do this well). Generally Fender Blues Jrs are popular around here also. CHeck out the Post your rig thread for some more ideas.

I have upgraded most of the hardware and electronics on my VIII as well as giving it a hotrod paint job.. I have also done up a IV, added a second pickup, and painted white etc.
    Pics are in post 6 of the mandobird rarities thread.
    I will be the first to admit I really went to town on this one. Mods include Almuse MB8 pickup, Jerman bridge (only valid on the eight string) Steinberger tuners. (OTT?), Gibson/CTS pots and flamed mando paint . I have a black-ice over dive I might put in some time, though now that Pete has humbuckers I might just get a different bird to start working on.
    Hereby & forthwith, any instrument with an odd number of strings shall be considered broken. With regard to mix levels, usually the best approach is treating the mandolin the same as a cowbell.

Wow! They are some pretty birds you got there Ben and some fantastic electrics. At this stage I might look at replacing the pots, as I've read on some other threads that the E-string can be somewhat weak on this e-mando and that this is an acceptable workaround. Although I solder about as well as I garden - which is lousy!
    Last edited by Mercury; Jan-14-2012 at 8:38am.

I'm liking the Fender SuperChamp XD I tried at Guitar Center, but not ready to buy one yet.

I got a Mandobird VIII for Christmas, and I've been playing it through a Roland Cube. I had a MiniCube which works great and has different amp modeling options, but Santa also brought a Roland Cube 80XL, which is awesome! Lots of different effects and more than enough volume. I play in a large contradance band, with several fiddles, so the acoustic mando can get lost, but this combination stands out. There is an acoustic modeling effect; still doesn't sound like an acoustic mando, but some of the other amp settings work just fine, and the different effects are fun to play with. These are just great toys!
    Jim

Hi Jim. thanks for your input. At this stage it looks like I'm going to go for a Roland Cube too. Probably the 20XL. Sounds awesome!

Hi Santiago! Checked out the new Fender Mustang yesterday. Killer amp. It's on my e-mando practice amp short-list along with the Roland Cube 20XL and the Orange Crush 25w.

I also noticed you have an Eastman acoustic mando in your stable of instruments. When I "grow up" this is the acoustic mando that I want to have;
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	east905.jpg 
Views:	472 
Size:	298.3 KB 
ID:	80986

An Eastman 805 Two Point, in Golden Age Finish! $1000 special order. 6 month wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    Hi Santiago! Checked out the new Fender Mustang yesterday. Killer amp. It's on my e-mando practice amp short-list along with the Roland Cube 20XL and the Orange Crush 25w.

I also noticed you have an Eastman acoustic mando in your stable of instruments. When I "grow up" this is the acoustic mando that I want to have;
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	east905.jpg 
Views:	472 
Size:	298.3 KB 
ID:	80986

An Eastman 805 Two Point, in Golden Age Finish! $1000 special order. 6 month wait.
    I have a Mandobird as well as a JBovier electric. Of the amps I have to choose from, the most consistently pleasing and well round tone comes from my Cube 60. I also have a Princeton Reissue that sounds very good, but I wouldn't have bought it specifically for my electric mandos, particularly since the Cube sounds so good. I have two acoustic amps that are very good for acoustic guitar, but ho hum for emandos.

The Mustang I & II are great values, however I would be careful with the III/IV/V models. They are known to create unwanted digital artifacts.