Thread: Tube amp in your future?

Default Tube amp in your future?

Check these out:

http://shortscale.org/forum/viewtopi...747c69145372bc

Planned for release sometime this summer? My iPhone wants Greta.

Maybe Fender wants to try to make up for the Mustang Fizz.

Default Re: Tube amp in your future?

Both amps are a smart move by Fender. Neither look like a Fender, so the expectation shouldn't be that it sounds like a Fender. I'll have to keep an on out for these.
    Charlie Jones

Clark 2-point #39
    Rigel A Natural

Maybe, but if so, it's because my Fender Blues Junior crapped out over the weekend. Not a big Fender fan at the moment...

Good news is it's still under warranty, so it'll get fixed soon. And I'll want to hear these in action, if only 'cuz they look so different. More like '50's radios.

One Greta, and one champ head thx.
    Hereby & forthwith, any instrument with an odd number of strings shall be considered broken. With regard to mix levels, usually the best approach is treating the mandolin the same as a cowbell.

Registered Mandolin User mandopete's Avatar

So what is the story on these amps? I couldn't find out much in the way of information on them. Are they something new for Fender?
    2015 Chevy Silverado
    2 bottles of Knob Creek bourbon
    1953 modified Kay string bass named "Bambi"

I'd find them more interesting if they had tube rectifiers instead of solid state.
    Also, the one with tremolo has only one speed control knob. A better tremolo effect would have a control knob for the tremelo intensity as well.
    Wye Knot

Maybe, someone in town is lightening their load, has a Mesa Boogie.
    in a travel case , with wheels , needs them because It's Heavy but not that big.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by mandopete View Post
    So what is the story on these amps? I couldn't find out much in the way of information on them. Are they something new for Fender?
    Yup. Totally new, although there is a British Jazz Guitar dealer frequenting jazzguitar.de who responded to my post saying that he was able to order one of each this week. Maybe they are available across the pond first.

poor excuse for anything Charlieshafer's Avatar

Great is indeed a cool-looking thing. Iphone/Ipod input, tubes, and a vu meter for $200? I want one, despite any shortcomings. That's almost a tank of gas in the pickup, and gas isn't fun.

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

I would, but then my Vox gets angry...
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

poor excuse for anything Charlieshafer's Avatar

And an angry vox is a pretty scary thing...

With all of the tube amps hitting the market in the last 4 or 5 years I think Fender is banking on the retro look to sell these. No doubt there are plenty of 6L6 & EL84 powered amps and a few that have both but as pointed out by Lee without a tube rectifier it's just another low grade Asian built POS. One of my Breakfast Club buddies is a Fender Dealer (former Gibson Dealer) and has several vintage Champs, Princetons and 2 or 3 60s Twins as well as all the new Fender Asian tube knock offs. Point is the new Fender Blues series can't hold a candle to the tone of the classics however there are some good low budget Tube amps that seem to have found the secret to pulling that vintage sound out of an amp even with a solid state rectifier, Fender is not among them. I do like the retro look but I don't think they will be anything more than a novelty for the real tone tweakers. But if you own one of the new Fender Mexican built Pawn Shop Strat-Tele Frankentars I guess this is a must have. Don't get me wrong, I think it's long overdue for the younger generation to be able to understand that a 200 watt solid state amp is not even close to the tone and volume you can get out of a vintage 60 watt tube amp but the new Fender offerings are a far cry from the likes of an Egnater (USA) or even the Blackstar (Asian) amps. JMHO.
    Never Argue with an Idiot, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.