Thread: LM-520 F-model mandolin ???

Default LM-520 F-model mandolin ???

Howdy again everyone, I just found out that my wonderful wife ordered me an LM-520 F-hole (The Loar) from Folkmusician today........YAHOOOOOOOO

She knew that I had been looking around for a good starter mandolin and wanted to surprise me. It comes with a case and a good pro setup.

What are your opinions of this Mandolin ? I know that I will treasure it because my wonderful wife unit gave it to me, but would still like to hear your opinion.

What strings do you guys like for old time country ??

Thanks in advance
    Bill
    De Oppresso Liber

Default Re: LM-520 F-model mandolin ???

Awesome wife you got there. I think she may be a keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by bfriedman View Post
    Awesome wife you got there. I think she may be a keeper.
    I think I will have to agree......plus its been 27 years together......

Thanks
    Bill
    De Oppresso Liber

I've only heard one LM-520, but it sounded very nice. Awesome gift!! As far as strings, it all depends on so many factors. So many people can offer their opinions on string types (I have my own preferences), but the only way you will know is to try some out for yourself. It depends also on the mandolin. Does it have a very bright tone that may need to be tamed a little? Does it have a soft, warm tone that may need a little extra brightness? It depends on your playing style and the type of pick you use. These are questions only you can answer. For a good starting point, you probably can't go wrong with D'Addario J74. I don't like the sound of bronze strings for myself, but they are an overwhelming favorite by lots of mandolinists. Try a set for a month and see if you like them. If not, then tell us what it is you don't like about their sound and then people here might be able to offer some suggestions about which direction to go.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

Howdy everyone, Well it looks like its going to be at least another week before I receive the Loar. My wife did not notice that they would not be avail for shipping until 1-20-12....... I am like a kid waiting on christmas morning to get here...........
    De Oppresso Liber

I was lucky enough to get to play all The Loars in the product line. The 520 sounded as good as the 600 and barely quieter than the 700. The big difference is all in the aesthetics. In my opinion, this is a great starter mandolin. I take that back, the 520 makes a great intermediate mandolin and a killer started mando. Since you got it from folkmusician.com you know it will be set up well and ready to roll. Like stated before, you cant go wrong with j74 strings. In fact, I think that is what Robert puts on them. But, don't be afraid to experiment. I found that I really like j75s on my Kentucky. They are a little thicker and helped bring out the tone in that instrument. I have j74s on my Haynes mandolin and EXP74s on my backup JBPlayer. I simply used the EXPs on that one because they are coated and wont tarnish in the case. I don't play it very much (its my backup), but I would hate to have to put fresh strings on every time I open the case, so the coateds are nice.
    Don't forget about picks! The pick hunt is fun. Instead of buying expensive picks like Wegens and BlueChips, I bought a bunch of cheaper picks and modified them. I bought ordered a pack of Proplec 1.5 triangles, different sizes of Ultex triangles, and multiple Clayton picks. I tried making different bevels, and drilling holes for grip. Now, my go to picks are Proplec 1.5 triangles with a right hand bevel and holes, just like a Wegan. If I need to be louder, I go with a V-pick screamer.
    Congrats on your new instrument, and post some pictures when you get it! Hang on to that supportive wife of yours! They are few and far between.

Better be careful and double check exactly what she bought. Folkmusician sells that mandolin as a blowout with factory set up only and for more money with their setup. If she bought the blowout version it will need additional work.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Congratulations!

Quote Originally Posted by multidon View Post
    Better be careful and double check exactly what she bought. Folkmusician sells that mandolin as a blowout with factory set up only and for more money with their setup. If she bought the blowout version it will need additional work.
    Howdy, We just looked at Folkmusician site and they offer 2 different Loar 520 deals. One is the mandolin only with no setup like you stated, and the one she purchased was a package deal with a case, setup ect.......We had to go and look to make sure.

This is the package she ordered http://www.folkmusician.com/The-Loar...ctinfo/LM-520/
    De Oppresso Liber

Wildbill,

You have an amazing experinece headed your way. Don't hype it, but cherish it. The new 520's are really, really nice. No addendum necessary. Robert Fear is a gentleman and a professional, and he sets up Loar's incredibly well. He has more practice than just about anybody, methinks!

Your wife did a very nice and considerate thing for you. Consider what you might do in return!!
    2005 Rigel G5 #2196
    2005 Phoenix Jazz #400
    1988 Jeff Traugott Acoustic #4
    2012 Eastman 905 Archtop Guitar, BLOND!

Remember to grin while you pick, it throws folks off!