Thread: L+H Model 5283 / A

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Default L+H Model 5283 / A

A very curious looking L+H carved top mandolin in the Classifieds right now for sale from Mandolin Brothers.

At first I thought it was a distorted photo but wading through the company's cloying prose there was some useful descriptive information (amidst the distracting blah-blah-blah.) Still nothing to explain why this seems so squatty. Checking the ad reproduction in Keef's book shows nothing distorted in the 5283 shape as advertised.

Any thoughts?

Mick
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	L+H_5283-Front.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	19.4 KB 
ID:	80067   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	L+H-StyleA-Front.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	23.5 KB 
ID:	80068  
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Default Re: L+H Model 5283 / A

You beat me to it Mick. I was wondering exactly the same time. When I looked at the picture on my phone I almost thought it was some kind of octave mandolin on account of how long the neck I remember vaguely from past discussions that these L&H models came in both short scale (earlier ones) as well as long scale (later models). I am wondering if the one from MB isn't one of the later, long scale ones. In any case, it is a curious looking one to me and I've never seen one like it.

It is a Bernado De Pace Signature Model. Already listed as sold on the Mando Bros. site. I posted about it here but I guess no one noticed.

Exchanged some email with squirrelabama about it today. He says the only other one he's seen belongs to Grisman ... it was mentioned (with photos!) in Grisman's highly informative Cafe interview.

Cafe ad here. The instrument was sold even before Stan posted his purple description, which you can read here. I see that Stan dutifully reported a conversation he had about the De Pace connection, but in such a way as to leave room for doubt. Maybe Grisman could persuade Stan that it's really true.

Interesting that, according to Stan, it retains the long 13-7/8" scale. I think De Pace played a regular Style A for a few years before having this designed, so perhaps he was accustomed to the long scale and wanted to keep it even though Washburn had already started making violin-scale instruments.
    Last edited by mrmando; Dec-22-2011 at 7:56pm.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Thanks, Martin, I hadn't yet seen your post. I knew De Pace played L+H models, but didn't know he had a 'signature' model made for him. An interesting design modification to get better access up the neck..

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Wow that went quick. Thanks for the info Martin.

That also seems to be one that escaped Hubert as well. I did not see any reference to it in his book.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Yeah, man. Keef, are you catching this? Will there be a second edition?

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Holy cow, it's another De Pace!

The fretboard extension has been Apollon'd. Hm...

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    Holy cow, it's another De Pace!

The fretboard extension has been Apollon'd. Hm...
    Actually, Martin, if you go on their site there is only a photo of the case. That photo they posted with their ad looks suspiciously like the one that Mick posted on the first post of this thread. That one was also Apollon'd and that green felt under the tp looks the same. I guess the proof is when they post actual pics of that instrument.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Ah well. Good catch on the photo.

I see Stan still hasn't gotten the memo on the difference between vulcanized fiber and vulcanized rubber.

Always learning something Mo Soar's Avatar

Vulcanized fiber? Like forbon, used in making pickup bobbins?

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Link in the ad now goes to a standard style A, not a De Pace. Looks like the De Pace picture in the cafe ad is just an accident.