Thread: True Love

Default True Love

The Bride and Groom.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3046.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	264.1 KB 
ID:	80046  

Blog Entries

Default Re: True Love

Can you tell us about them?

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Blog Entries

Lovely!
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by saez View Post
    The Bride and Groom.
    Hi all

Thanks for the kind comments, the smaller of the two is a spanish mandolin made by Prudencio saez, all solid woods, the tailpiece is not the original, think it dates back to the 1960s, they also make decent guitars.
    Originally it had a black headstock, I decided to sand it down to the bare wood and was suprised at the outcome when I gave it a couple of coats of varnish. it has a very bright sound and I do prefer the wider fretboard.

The other does not have a label however the person who had it before me told me it was made in the Czech Republic, it had ebony violin pegs in the pegbox originally but I had these replaced by my luthier with geared wittner tuners as I could not keep the thing in tune.
    My luthier who is based in London did a great job including a set up but to my suprise he informed me the unusual peg box had been added at a later stage in its life, but whoever did it made a professional job of it.
    The overall sound is pleasant, but nowhere near as bright as the Prudencio, this is obviously
    due to the small soundhole, the build quality is not as good but I use it for medieval stuff because it looks the part, I am hoping to get a pickup for it (removable) as I dont want to amplify it constantly and spoil the look cosmetically.
    The mandolin was made around 1950, it is not the original tailpiece, (other one broken).

Both Mandolins have light gauge strings for obvious reasons on them but the Czech originally had Gor medium gauge strings, the previous owner suggested I could try nylon strings like Aquilla, but I have not bothered after seeking advice from my luthier, he seems to think the extra long peg head which measures approx 10ins should withstand the tension.

Regards

I have an older one similar to the one on the right. My wife has lost interest in it and I am thinking of selling it. But I have no idea what to ask. Do you have any idea of the value? It is an Prudencia Saez I did write to Prudencia, at that time they were no longer making them. I see they now are making them again for a little over $500.00 I appreciate any information you can share with me. Jerry

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry1954 View Post
    I have an older one similar to the one on the right. My wife has lost interest in it and I am thinking of selling it. But I have no idea what to ask. Do you have any idea of the value? It is an Prudencia Saez I did write to Prudencia, at that time they were no longer making them. I see they now are making them again for a little over $500.00 I appreciate any information you can share with me. Jerry
    The user who posted these hasn't logged on since late 2012.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

I was hoping someone would add some more to this. I'm going to hazard a guess that your mandolin won't bring very much on the used market. List it on eBay with a low starting price (like $25.00) and a high reserve (like $500.00). The point it ends at will give you what somebody is willing to pay for it. If it doesn't hit the reserve you don't have to sell it. Then relist it at the realistic price. It isn't going to get you anywhere near $500.00.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber