Thread: Bean Blossom and Winfield, pitching tents on the old campgrounds

Fetches news & information NewsFetcher's Avatar

Default Bean Blossom and Winfield, pitching tents on the old campgrounds

The Mandolin Cafe has posted the following news release:
    Bean Blossom and Winfield, pitching tents on the old campgrounds

Writer Bill Graham reflects on two great American music festivals and what you might find at each, with inspiration gleaned from Thomas A. Adler's new book on Bean Blossom.

---------------------------

NOTE: You may use your board membership to comment on news articles published by the Mandolin Cafe. Your comments will appear here and also will be appended to the end of the news article for public viewing. Standard board membership posting guidelines apply. The addition of images is turned OFF for this area so as not to compete with or interfere with the news item.
    Posts belonging to this account are created by a software task, not a human. Don't understand what that means? This information will explain how this post got here.

Default Re: Bean Blossom and Winfield, pitching tents on the old campgrou

First of all great article, I truly enjoyed reading it. This was my first year attending Winfield and you pretty much captured exactly how I remember it and I know for a fact that I will be attending this festival for the rest of my life. It was walking around the campgrounds and listening to people jamming that inspired me to start learning the mandolin so maybe next year I can be involved in the jams and not just listening.
    “When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.” ― Jack Handey

Great article. I have been a Winfield faithful for over a decade. The campground picking is what makes this the most unique and captivating festival in the world. I have attended most of the really well known bluegrass festivals but there is only one Winfield.
    Through the years our camp has evolved and has become quite elaborate and we add members to our camp family every year. Every year seems to surpass the year prior. Some of the best musicians in the world that you have never heard of can be found throughout the campground. Friends of mine that I challenged "Come to Winfield once and you will come every year the rest of your life" have all found that true. It is nearly impossible to describe and an event that every acoustic music lover and picker should experience. When you do, stop by Coyote Camp and pick a few. You are welcome!
    It doesn't matter . . . I'm going to WINFIELD!!!!!

A Baker Family Tradition Bluegrassrules's Avatar

Great article, I actual camp on Hippie Hill every June and September. Bean Blossom is a tradition handed down to me from my Dad who has been going to the festival since "67" and before that would go to the old barn on Sundays. I always say that I wish life was like a never ending bluegrass festival. Ditto to the author about the tent and RV city that appears during the fest. I have certain camp sites that I visit every year, same place same people, good picks.
    Cheers, and if anyone wants to stop by and say hi I camp on Hippie Hill in front of the small artist stage.
    Cheers, Brian.
    "The definition of insanity is continuing to do the same thing over and over and then expecting different results" (so buy a better mando) Sir Winston Churchill
    Gibson F-5 Jam Master #23