Thread: Second Mandolin

Default Second Mandolin

I'm looking for a second mandolin, and I am trying to decide between a flat top, like the Redline Traveler or an Eastman 305.

In terms of other options: I am very open to used. I am not interested in The Loar, as I prefer a smaler neck profile. I like that the Redline Traveler has a 1 1/16" nut as compared to 1 1/8 or 1 3/16 of some other flat tops.

I already have a pretty nice F5 mandolin. I am looking for something that I can take out to play in the park, on the street, on the subway, general busking and fun.

I like the flat top idea for portability and non attention grabbing (safety). I worry about the flat top not cutting through though. I will be playing with 1 (or more) guitars, sometimes a flute, maybe a bandeņon and other non-bluegrass instruments (maybe a banjo now and again).

As for styles of music, I will be playing a variety: tango, jazz, klezmer, a maybe a little bluegrass and some fiddle tunes if I can manage to convince some of my friends.

So I guess my question is really about the sound, and the tone decisions to think about between these mandolins. I appreciate the ability of the Eastman to cut through better. I wonder, is the tone quality of the Redline Traveler superior to that of the Eastman (all things being subjective of course).

What do you think?

Default Re: Second Mandolin

In terms of sound and tone quality, most flat tops are just different from arched top instruments (the Arches might be an exception), so it is really apples and oranges. But I can tell you that some flat tops can play surprisingly loud, and I don't see why it couldn't fit in well with the music you have in mind. It won't sound like your F5, but it will be enjoyable in its own way. I played that Eastman recently, though, and was impressed.

Josh