Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pedals...Ones You Love, Ones You Hate, & Ones you Want!

Default Re: Pedals...Ones You Love, Ones You Hate, & Ones you Want!

Any know which is a better choice equalizer pedal for emando? MXR vs Boss?
    Thanks!

IMHO there are three good things about the Pepperoni Phaser:
    1) Inexpensive: It's disposable.
    2) Tiny: It has a small footprint.
    3) Easy to use: It has one control - that's it.

Costlier Phasers sound more lush and have more flexibility and tonal options.
    There are 3 Phaser Pedals I'd like to own:
    1) Script Logo MXR is sort a standard for Phasers
    2) Roland Jet Phase - huge foot print - with massive tonal sweep.
    3) Kastle - it's a huge but totally rare and obscure vintage pedal.

Barry, I'd say MXR by virtue of dividing the tone controls by 10 bands offers better shaping control.
    But a rackmount 31 band isn't a pedal ..

NB I own neither..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Blog Entries

Here's another submission in the "pedals I want category"...

While my search for the right phase pedal continues, I ran across this new demo of the Maxon PT999 Phase Tone. I think I like this phaser even more than the Malekko. This is the warmest, roundest, most musical phase pedal I've heard. It has that classic Trower/Gilmour vibe, and it is effective across a broad range of phase effects. Oh, and speaking of that, this is by far the best sounding phaser I've heard while set at full speed.

Excellent...Maxon makes great stuff...Between this and the SD-9, I think I'm rapidly becoming a "Maxon Man". Looks like I'll be adding the PT999 my 'must get' list!

c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Registered User Terry Allan Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mandocrucian View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	%u00252521CFqSbYQ%25212k%257E%2524%2528KGrHqZ%252C%2521k4E1F3%25291NyUBNV2KrmFKw%257E%257E_12.JPG 
Views:	573 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	78908

Unless the bass lines are busy and complex, why hire a bassist?
    Worked as a solo-act w/ a Moog Taurus for a while...how do these compare?

I use this pedal board for my electric guitars, but have only started using my E-mando through the Digidelay and the wah...may try others eventually, but some don't sound as good for E-mandos as for Telecasters.

Blog Entries

Nice pedal board Terry!
    Which pedals don't sound good with the e-mando?
    Think Hippie Thoughts...

Registered Mandolin User mandopete's Avatar

Okay, I dug up an old photo of the first pedal board I ever built. This one's from 1978 and features a MXR Distortion +, MXR Phase 100. Electro Harmonx Electric Mistress, Sho-Bud volume pedal, Electro Harmonix Big Muff PI fuzz, EchoPlex (switch only here), GK control bar (for the amp), some homemade bypass switches and a modified 9 volt power supply. The pedals were held in place by velcro.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pedal Board.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	27.2 KB 
ID:	80403  
    2015 Chevy Silverado
    2 bottles of Knob Creek bourbon
    1953 modified Kay string bass named "Bambi"

I don't think I'll ever tire of playing with my pedals. I went over to the local GC Saturday. I had gone in with the intention of buying an MXR P 90, but came out with something a little different. I bought a Boss AW 3 Dynamic Wah along with a closeout ($17.00) Ibanez analog phaser. I figured for $17.00 it wasn't going to be much, and it isn't, but still fun to play with (noise and all).
    One thing I did with some success was to put the EHX Ravish Sitar ahead of the Dynamic Wah. It made some very interesting sounds. Playing around with both I can tune in some really cool "wah bee" sounds. Tracking lags a little a fast tempos.
    So many toys and so little money!

i dont use pedals too much because i use rack gear.. my tuner is a peterson strorack, my compressor is a tc electronics c400xlr,my e.q.'s are both DBX (pre and post amp), my delays and reverbs and modulation effects are all lexicon, my noise supressor is a decimator.. all gear is killer.. my pedals are few.. first off, i stay away from all boss products.. me no rikey.. (except the gt series.. all the way from gt-6 to the gt-pro.. terrible tone, but nice easy usage for practice).. but anyways.. with my rack, i use:
    --morley wah (pro series 2.. always used morley since the 80's)
    --janglebox compressor (toneshaping only.. gives me that Pretenders compression)
    --creationaudiolabs mk24 boost pedal.. cleanest boost ever

pedal i want...... roland midi foot controller..

all in all, i got over three grand in rack effects, another grand in pedals laying around, another grand out there waiting for me to buy them.. lol.. this crap's expensive.. lol

Registered User Terry Allan Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Goist View Post
    Nice pedal board Terry!
    Which pedals don't sound good with the e-mando?
    "Board" being the operative word...

Not crazy about the sound of my "Poorman's EM-150" through the compressor, the phazer, the tremolo, the vibrato or the chorus, but possibly I'll find better knob settings eventually that'll sound better. Have found a good setting for the flanger that's handy. Love it through the delay and the wah is kinda fun for a couple of tunes.

At Friday night's gig, we did a set of Irish fiddle tunes and I used the phazer on the "A" parts and the Flanger on the "B" parts...will be exploring if there's a better phazer setting, as I didn't care for the sound as much, although the rest of the band had nice things to say, as did some audience members.

Doubt the chorus pedal will ever get much use w/ my E-mando, as an eightstring has it's own chorus built-in to the original design.

It's difficult to guage the effectiveness of any sound alteration (pedal or otherwise) in a vacuum. I'm curious as to what people here have found in the way of blending an emando with other acoustic instruments. My initial thought was to try and get a somewhat "acoustic" sound and started with phase shift and flange'ing. But what I actually came to discover was it was more a case of reverb (go figure). Still experimenting with the whole mess.
    2015 Chevy Silverado

Thumbs up Re: Pedals...Ones You Love, Ones You Hate, & Ones you Want!

After lots of research on the web and factoring in all the info provided by you all in this fabulous thread I decided to go with the suggestion of the Tonebone PZ-PRE accoustic Preamp by Radial Technologies. I have been using it for a few days with my schertler DYN Gibson oval hole combination and my Collings f hole clip on ATM microphone combo. the results are nothing less than impressive.
    I picked up the unit used in Canada. Proud to have a Canadian made product!! Not many out there!
    the only problem I see with the unit is the fact that the EQ cannot be set for the 2 input instruments! For the price and the options it has it is a winner! I think it the unit is definitely a bit more complicated than others due to all it's knobs and buttons and pedal switches!
    If anyone is having problems with the unit Ii suggest we help support one another in a thread to together.
    A big thank You especially to Perry in this thread and his previous comments about this product in previous threads.
    Barry
    Great to have this Cafe Forum!

Blog Entries

I got a Morley Power Wah for Christmas and have really had a ball playing my Telecaster through it since receiving it, and playing my new e-mando through it over the past couple of days.

However, the last several times I've used it (with both instruments) it has been picking-up a local radio station! At first I could hear the station only at the treble extreme of the pedal (toe down), but the past couple of days the radio interference has been there through most of the pedal's sweep.

In a case of what can only be called remarkable irony, the radio station coming through the pedal is our local Classic Rock FM station!

I sent an e-mail to Morley yesterday and was pleasantly surprised to receive a reply almost immediately. Apparently what gives the Power Wah is enhanced wah effect is the use of an inducer instead of a capacitor. However, these inducers are prone to picking-up stray radio signals, and if a particular inducer is susceptible in the location where you are most frequently playing, Morley recommends switching to another inducer. They will be sending me more information next week about doing this.

Since doing this kind of stuff is outside my skill set, I may be asking you fine, learned folks for help!
    Think Hippie Thoughts...

Okay, now I'm thinking I really need this......

2015 Chevy Silverado

Blog Entries

Pete, no doubt...You need that.
    T.C. Electronics makes good stuff! However, I didn't think the phaser sounded up to snuff in the demo, though I thought the chorus, delays, and reverbs all sounded quite good. (Andy gets a really nice Gilmourish effects sound there near the end!)
    Oh, and by the way, I'm glad that every pedal demo doesn't feature fine renditions of Zeppelin's The Ocean and Nugent's Stranglehold like this one does...I'd go broke in two weeks!
    Think Hippie Thoughts...

Yeah, I bought a Digitech RP-255 as a sort of "all-in-one" type of pedal solution. I was looking for something that could do it all, but didn't want to spend too much money. I haven't spent too much time with it yet and the manual hasn't been much help. Just sort of trial and error (more error) learning how to use it.
    2015 Chevy Silverado

I have the Digitech RP-250. A little older but you can go to the website and download a graphic programmer that uses the USB port. It make setting the custom patches a piece of cake

This is mine:

Name:	boss_gt_10.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	67.7 KB 
ID:	81850
    I used it for modeling the sound of my Electric Fiddle for 2 years now and it gives a bold, jazzy sound to it. Works with mandolin very fine, too. Just these days I'm developing some new Pat Matheny-like sound patches for my new Almuse Jazzmando...
    Wah is a bit weak, but I don't like it anyway... best is the different selection of preamps and many other effects such as Chorus (great!), Delay, Pitch Shifter, 32-seconds-Loop (!) and about 30 others just in one board... I love it!
    Tom
    Last edited by Tom Sailor; Feb-02-2012 at 4:24pm. Reason: kept some mistakes :-)
    Who finds a mistake, may it gladly keep

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sailor View Post
    Just these days I'm developing some new Pat Matheny-like sound patches for my new Almuse Jazzmando...
    I would like to hear that! I always liked Pat's sound, I think it was mostly like a chorus thing. Not too much, but it gave the guitar a more "lush" sound.
    2015 Chevy Silverado

Best pedal board...ever!

Name:	Ultimate Pedal Board.jpg 
Views:	298 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	81907
    2015 Chevy Silverado

I don't know if this one has been mentioned, but the SMS Earth Drive make me want to buy an electric mando bad.

"They say the ocean, she is a woman, who waits for her man to come home." M.Houser

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtuna View Post
    I don't know if this one has been mentioned, but the SMS Earth Drive make me want to buy an electric mando bad.
    Don't buy a bad electric mando!

I dunno, the pedal sounds cool, but that video leaves a lot to be desired!

2015 Chevy Silverado

Blog Entries

Good luck All! (NFI)

Name:	429570_10150588843638917_13581348916_9272022_2082039133_n.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	158.0 KB 
ID:	82089
    Think Hippie Thoughts...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Goist View Post
    I got a Morley Power Wah for Christmas and have really had a ball playing my Telecaster through it since receiving it, and playing my new e-mando through it over the past couple of days.

However, the last several times I've used it (with both instruments) it has been picking-up a local radio station! At first I could hear the station only at the treble extreme of the pedal (toe down), but the past couple of days the radio interference has been there through most of the pedal's sweep.

In a case of what can only be called remarkable irony, the radio station coming through the pedal is our local Classic Rock FM station!

I sent an e-mail to Morley yesterday and was pleasantly surprised to receive a reply almost immediately. Apparently what gives the Power Wah is enhanced wah effect is the use of an inducer instead of a capacitor. However, these inducers are prone to picking-up stray radio signals, and if a particular inducer is susceptible in the location where you are most frequently playing, Morley recommends switching to another inducer. They will be sending me more information next week about doing this.

Since doing this kind of stuff is outside my skill set, I may be asking you fine, learned folks for help!
    I just realized that I never posted a follow-up to this, and because things turned out so well, I thought I should.

Very soon after receiving my e-mail, Morley proactively offered to swap-out the inducer in my Power Wah for no charge! They said that an inducer with a different frequency almost always alleviates this problem.

So, I mailed my pedal to Morley and they installed a new inducer, using one with a frequency different than the original. Within a couple of weeks, the pedal was returned to me, and I haven't had a hint of interference or noise while using it since.

Excellent customer service from the folks at Morley Pedals! (NFI)
    Think Hippie Thoughts...

I noticed that Musician's Friend is having a sale on T-Rex Tonebug pedals. I have the reverb pedal, and really like it a lot. I'm being tempted by the sustain pedal, even though I've never felt a lack of sustain before (it might just be the cool Irish green...) Also the wah pedal.