Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pedals...Ones You Love, Ones You Hate, & Ones you Want!

Blog Entries

Default Pedals...Ones You Love, Ones You Hate, & Ones you Want!

Thought this would be a fun and informative thread.

I'll start.
    Oh my! Check this one out...
    This pedal has two Electro-Harmonix 12AY7 tubes in it...Yes, in the pedal!
    PAS is kicking in hard on this one...$192...
    Dear Santa...

c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Registered Mandolin User mandopete's Avatar

Default Re: Pedals...Ones You Love, Ones You Hate, & Ones you Want!

Here's my Christmas present...

2015 Chevy Silverado
    2 bottles of Knob Creek bourbon
    1953 modified Kay string bass named "Bambi"

Blog Entries

Huge fan of my Sonic Research - Turbo Tuner pedal.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	st2-249h.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	24.9 KB 
ID:	78881

Fast, accurate ... perhaps overkill, but I sure do like tuning up in a loud bar environment and having only tiny adjustments to do by ear [if any]. The signal-mute while tuning is nice, I'm able to fix a pair even with a short gap between songs.

I really like my looper, but don't think it is absolutely perfect [don't think any are]. Good practice tool for soloing, given I can do guitar/keys parts too.
    Collings MT2
    Breedlove OF
    Ellie eMando
    Schmergl Devastator

These are my favorite pedals...from White Industries. Expensive but machined to perfection and made in the U.S.A. like my mandolins! Now if I can just find a pannier large enough to carry my mandolin case while bicycling!

Cheers.

Name:	640_2_STRAP_TOP.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	78882

Quote Originally Posted by Markus View Post
    I really like my looper, but don't think it is absolutely perfect [don't think any are]. Good practice tool for soloing, given I can do guitar/keys parts too.
    What model?
    2015 Chevy Silverado

Blog Entries

I have the Boss RC-30 ...
    Good: 99 2-channel loops than can be saved, infinite stacking.
    Bad: No reverse loop, slight gap in playback when switching to a different saved loop.

Some tone suck, can only undo one step [better than no undo, yet times I want multi-undo]. The dual-pedal setup is good, very thankful I didn't go with single-pedal versions.

It has an XLR input, phantom power too ... I run it most often through my mini-mixer's mix/instrument inputs - but the times I've brought it over to a friend's house to play the quick and easy nature of available XLR is nice. Very simple, minimal hand percussion; wind instruments ... with the XLR, it opens a big door.

Sure is fun, I've found it also strongly attracts my toddler to `play music' with me.

Very useful for simple song sketches - loop a melody and work out backup, or the opposite. I also use it for `instant replay' ... start with saved backup loop, take a solo -> loop it -> listen a couple times -> undo and try again. Great for working out solos, trying different endings ... I can do that on PC or recorder, but not while playing, I have to step `out' of musician-mind.

Wish I could say `get mine' or `get that one' ... but when I looked, I couldn't find everything on one pedal [boomerang doesn't save to memory]. Imperfect sure is a lot of fun, though.
    Collings MT2
    Breedlove OF
    Ellie eMando
    Schmergl Devastator

Anyone know anything about or have had experience with the Boss GT 8? There is one for sale in my area for $175.00.
    Is this reasonable? and how does it compare to the Digitech 255 in posting #2 above?
    I was thinking of getting a multieffects pedal to try out differnt sounds as a newbie to all this!
    Any and all comments appreciated.

I noticed there are Boss used ME 30 and ME 50 pedals also available. What is the difference between all these?
    And are they difficult to plug in, use, and actually have some hobby fun!!??

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Roberts View Post
    These are my favorite pedals...from White Industries. Expensive but machined to perfection and made in the U.S.A. like my mandolins! Now if I can just find a pannier large enough to carry my mandolin case while bicycling!

Cheers.

Name:	640_2_STRAP_TOP.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	78882
    Jim, I love White Industries stuff, but I'm a Shimano or Crank Brothers pedal guy.... oh wait, what forum is this?
    Chinn A-style
    Chinn BluesBird Emando #1
    Aria M-300BG 2 Point
    Kay Model 68

I have a Zoom G1u multi. got it used. usb capable. awesome units. I had a digitech (older) before this one. great for direct in recording.

I hate those orange boss distortion pedals. just hate those things with a passion. might as well jam razor blades down my ears

Hey Barry what part of Canada you in? (fellow Barry here )

I'm hoping Santa will bring me one of these . . .

Name:	IMG_2139.JPG 
Views:	343 
Size:	26.3 KB 
ID:	78888

I'm a big fan of reverb, so I went for the T Rex Tone Bug Reverb. As y'all may recall I also got a delay pedal recently; fun but not so useful. I have a Blues Screamer that sounds pretty good with a solid-state amp, but not with my tube amps, so I'm not sure what to do with it.

What do I want? A looper would be lots of fun. And a wah pedal. Maybe an analog delay down the road. Or a fuzz pedal. Not much else.

I think the best accessory purchase was an attenuator. Allows me to crank the amp enough to get the power tubes going without blowing out the windows. (Not a pedal, I know, so a bit of a non sequitor...)
    Last edited by CelticDude; Nov-29-2011 at 8:01am. Reason: Another thought came to me

String-Bending Heretic mandocrucian's Avatar

Name:	%u00252521CFqSbYQ%25212k%257E%2524%2528KGrHqZ%252C%2521k4E1F3%25291NyUBNV2KrmFKw%257E%257E_12.JPG 
Views:	573 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	78908

Unless the bass lines are busy and complex, why hire a bassist?

I have a few pedals by Barber Electronics (NFI). Really good pedals--boutique quality--at non-boutique prices. The Launch Pad is a fantastic clean boost which can do other stuff, too. Their TonePress is a very good compressor. I have a love/hate thing going with compressors, but this one is really good. And I have an LTD, which is a not-very-aggressive overdrive. Barber doesn't do modulation or reverb, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Markus View Post
    I have the Boss RC-30 ...

Very useful for simple song sketches - loop a melody and work out backup, or the opposite. I also use it for `instant replay' ... start with saved backup loop, take a solo -> loop it -> listen a couple times -> undo and try again. Great for working out solos, trying different endings ... I can do that on PC or recorder, but not while playing, I have to step `out' of musician-mind..
    That's exactly what I had in mind. It just seems like a it would be a simple way to do these sort things without having to set up a recording device. The RC-30 looks to be a pretty nice device. The other that seems to be highly reccomended is the Digitech Jam Man. I have no experience with either unit.
    2015 Chevy Silverado

You might try a Zoom G3. Hundreds of pedal models, amp models, speaker cabinet models, 40 second looper, USB output for patch maintanance and recording directly into your PC for $200. I'm useing one for my jazz guitar.

Digitech multi-effect models are also nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Pipeous View Post
    I hate those orange boss distortion pedals. just hate those things with a passion. might as well jam razor blades down my ears
    I guess we need to call those "stomp boxes" eh? Have you heard of Wampler Pedals ? Pretty nice stuff.

2015 Chevy Silverado

Quote Originally Posted by xntric View Post
    I'm hoping Santa will bring me one of these . . .

Name:	IMG_2139.JPG 
Views:	343 
Size:	26.3 KB 
ID:	78888
    I'll take 2 of these please. Having trouble practicing today after getting a mando string under my fingernail while doing setup. amazing how much a tiny cut can bleed sometimes.

Thanks Ed for starting this thread. As still pretty new on e-mando, I have no effects pedals yet. I still don't know what all the different effects are; okay, I know what distortion is, and wah, but flanger? phase shifter? I know I need to pack up my 'bird and amp and head to a decent music store and just try things out, but haven't done so yet.

Blog Entries

No problem! Though I'll apologize in advance for any GAS build-up!

I've always loved pedals, and although I haven't owned many, there are a few I have really enjoyed. Way back in the day, I had a vintage Morley Power/Wah/Fuzz that I played my Gibson L6S through into a Vox30. Loved that combination!

Then I discovered the phaser. In my opinon, the proper use of a good phase pedal is pretty indispensable for recreating much of the classic rock tones many of us so love (think Shattered by The Stones, Sweet Jane by Lou Reed, and many (if not most) of the great David Gilmour's signature work). The "Gold Standard" for the Phase pedal is probably the MXR Phase 90. (see the video below for some sound samples of the Phase 90 at about 2:35 of the video).

Recently, I picked-up an AnalogMan Maxon SD-9 Boost/Distortion. I really like this pedal for it's vintage Classic-Rock, Electric-Blues feel and for its versatility and wide range of applications. As I re-establish and expand my electric rig (this time for my e-mando), I'm thinking my pedal chain will eventually be something like:
    Boost/distortion ---> fuzz ---> phaser ---> volume/wah

Man, this is going to be fun!

Oh, and here's a cool video on the difference between phasing (an effect I'd describe as a "roller-coaster woosh") & flanging (an effect I'd describe as a "spring or yo-yo swoosh"). Sorry for using such technical terms. Neat stuff!

Think Hippie Thoughts...

Ed, that was probably the best description I've heard for the difference between the flanger and phaser. Always struggled with how to explain the difference concisely.
    As to love and hate, I could probably say that about every pedal I own. I just got the Electron Harmonix Ravish Sitar pedal today and I'm having a lot of fun with it, but to me, it's indiicative of most of the newer effects - complicated. For my feeble brain anyway. Tons of presets to noodle with and I like the whole synth thing. I'll eventually get it figured out.
    My favorite effect, at least when I can find a good one, is chorus. Right now I'm using a Boss CE 5 chorus ensemble. It's not quite as good as I'd hoped. I'm looking at the MXR stereo chorus as my next purchase. The first chorus I had was a Roland JC 120 head and a pair of 4 12 cabinets. Talk about stunning!! It was an amp not a pedal, but it was a wonderful effect. I've not found anything that sounds quite as good as that did. When things get better I'll pick up another JC 120, but for now I'll stick to pedals.
    Another effect I'm really fond of is my Boss PS-1 Harmonist pedal. There's a nice spot that adds solid low end without soiunding too fake. It's just a little hard to hit that spot some days. I use it with the RC 20 loop station, which doesn't have as much capability as mandopete's RC 30, but works okay for me. Another Boss pedal I like is the DD-7 digital delay, but getting the timing just right with the press tempo can be maddning. As far as reverb pedals I use the Boss FRV-1. It's not quite as good as a stand alone tube reverb, but pretty darn good for the price. I really don't have any complaints about that one.
    The last one I can honestly say I do have a love hate relationship wiht is my distorion pedal. I have a modified SD-1 super overdrive. Somedays it sounds good to me, other days it sounds like crap. The crap part is when it just sounds like a nightmarish tesla mush with everything jammed together and nothing distinguishable. I know that's kind of the point, but I still want some warmth and clarity to each note. I'd like to try a creamtone overdrive pedal, but they're a bit pricey. So, I'll keep looking.
    Pedals are definately a lot of fun and like you said add a lot of distinctive tone to the music.

The Cafe is, of course, the best forum, but the GearPage is a veritable festival of effects pedals and the people who use them. There is still talk of EH, MXR, and Boss, of course, but they go way, way, farther down the effects road.

I just bought a couple of TC Electronics pedals, a Hall of Fame reverb and a Flashback delay. These are not terribly pricey, are very versatile, and are true bypass. Worth a look.

Here's my pedalboard, which I've been obsessing about for a month or more for no particular reason. Missing is my old Boss CE-2 chorus, which is out for a small mod.

Blog Entries

Thanks, jlt, and I think you're right, over-complicated controls can be the death knell for a pedal (or any other piece of gear for that matter).

Dan, that's an impressive pedal board! Plus, you make a great point about true bypass. When one is chaining multiple pedals and effects, any modification to one's signal can be deadly as it gets amplified going through the effects chain. This is my concern with the 'old school' MXR phase pedals, I don't think they are true bypass. Anyone have a true-bypass phase pedal they really like?

Speaking of phase pedals, I'm listening to The Stones' Some Girls album this morning and Richards and Woods use phase pedals heavily on just about every song. If you've looking for examples of the phase pedal application in classic rock this is a great place to start.

Oh, and thanks to everyone for mentioning their favorite pedal producers. Great stuff to know and research.

Oh, and I looked into one of those Talent Simulator pedals. Unfortunately, the model I would need is cost prohibitive.
    Think Hippie Thoughts...

Blog Entries

Oh, and I really like the way that Wampler Paisley pedal sounds.
    If only it provided Brad's talent along with his tone...They'd sell millions!
    Think Hippie Thoughts...

I love my EHX HOG but, it needs to come with a text book to get the most out of it.
    I have yet to play/hear a pedal I hate.
    I really want the new EHX Ravish Sitar, it sounds fantastic!

I have recently cured myself of PAS, (who am I kidding, the wife cured me) but, tomorrow is another day.....
    James