Thread: Ultralight Speaker Cabinet

Blog Entries

Default Ultralight Speaker Cabinet

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mandospeaker~.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	120.8 KB 
ID:	79717

I researched small speakers to find a neodynium-magnet speaker I could use for a super portable travel/gigging box. This cabinet is built around an Eminence Alphalite 6.5" woofer (which has nice response up through 5K). The speaker resonates at 126 Hz, almost exactly the low C (130 Hz), and in this design with the port it is very flat down to 90 Hz. I used this site for selecting dimensions:
    http://www.kbapps.com/audio/speakerd...ors/index.html

I input the Thiele-Small parameters and choose volume and port size, etc. I constructed the box out of 3/16" ply, and reinforced the joints and cross-braced with 3/4" right-angle wood trim. Corners, grill, and carpet cover from Orange County Speaker. Tomorrow I will add feet and a handle.

Total weight is just about 5 lbs. Speaker is rated 100 watts RMS, 200 peak. I tried it with the little EHX Magnum 44 amp pedal---sounds great, fat bottom, sweet mids and highs, it's a perfect match to the acoustic with soundhole pickup. I can bicycle to gig or throw it in a suitcase for not only a practice amp but a usable performing setup. Not as efficient as my 12" boxes, of course, but I'm very happy.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

Default Re: Ultralight Speaker Cabinet

Nice work, Tom. I'd love to hear this setup.

Here's an all in one solution if you don't don't to lug around a separate head...
    Hereby & forthwith, any instrument with an odd number of strings shall be considered broken. With regard to mix levels, usually the best approach is treating the mandolin the same as a cowbell.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Milne View Post
    ..Here's an all in one solution if you don't don't to lug around a separate head...
    I have similarly lightweight high-power rig, a bit more compact than that but in two pieces. Mine weighs about 7 Kg, maybe 15 lbs. Foam is cool but bulky. This box is 14 x 9 x 5 1/2, large shoebox.

I will be putting this little rig to use next week for an educational school concert in a bass-mando-trumpet trio.
    Last edited by Tom Wright; Dec-14-2011 at 11:32pm.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

Blog Entries

Very cool Tom.
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

poor excuse for anything Charlieshafer's Avatar

For some reason, I'm a do-it-yourself speaker fan. Your's looks just great. Just for added cool (but not necessarily quality) is it efficient enough that you can use one of the little micro-tube amps like these: zvex?

The next step is to somehow stick a generator on to the bike, so you can power a storage battery on your way to the performance, then use the batter to power the amp. A small trailer for extra instruments, maybe with a fold-out stage.

FAMP looks cool, but not much tone control. Needs midrange control, particularly for guitar, and an overdrive volume, effects... What do they sell for?