Thread: Argh! Tough decision, Stiver A and Kimble A

Default Argh! Tough decision, Stiver A and Kimble A

Greetings all.

I have a guess how this might go (subjective, what are you looking for, it's what you like, ect.), but some other opinions might give me something else to consider or help me firm up my thinking on this.

I play a Stiver A and am trying out a Kimble A. I like them both but only get to keep one, and they both have elements I really like.

Any one else out there who ever suffered the same dilemna (it's a happy one), or had a chance to play both at the same time.

I guess it would be easier if only Gibson made instruments.

Thanks a lot.

Bill

Default Re: Argh! Tough decision, Stiver A and Kimble A

Let me guess here: the Stiver is a little louder but the Kimble is a little sweeter.
    Bill

Wish I had that conundrum !

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Van Liere View Post
    Let me guess here: the Stiver is a little louder but the Kimble is a little sweeter.
    That's very funny Bill, and a very good guess. You've obviously played both. Which leaves me pretty much where I thought I'd end up. What do I like/want. It's fun playing them side by side though.

Thanks,

Bill

I once had the same problem but it was between a Heiden and a Kimble. I bought the Kimble. They were different but I couldn't say that either was better than the other. At that level, its all a matter of personal preference although the matter of price does raise its head!

In this case I would stay with the one picks the best verses sounds the best. If you perform you need to pick both on one show and see which one delivers the best in a live band situation. Sitting at home on the couch picking it won't tell you.

I can tell you which I'd pick, but I am, admittedly, a bit biased. Probably can't wrong with either, though, in all fairness to both Lou and Will. MY 2 cents.
    Jeff Oxley
    1994 Stiver F5 #230
    Washburn M-3SW/TS F5
    Epiphone Mandobird
    1972 Martin D-18
    Ibanez electric/acoustic
    Fender 12-string

Quote Originally Posted by f5loar View Post
    In this case I would stay with the one picks the best verses sounds the best. If you perform you need to pick both on one show and see which one delivers the best in a live band situation. Sitting at home on the couch picking it won't tell you.
    Good point, and I may have an opportunity to try that tonight. Just putting them on the couch and strumming the open strings tells me they both are plenty loud. Beyond that, they are just different.

Thanks,

Bill

Keep both!

Blog Entries

The advice to try them in groups is good, sometimes the differences are more apparent there.
    It also might give you an chance to hand one to a trusted picking friend for a tune, so you can just listen to it in group context.

Good luck, sounds like a pretty fun conundrum to be in.
    Collings MT2
    Breedlove OF
    Ellie eMando
    Schmergl Devastator

Quote Originally Posted by yankees1 View Post
    Keep both!
    Well, I might be able to pull that off for a while. Maybe my wife will just get used to having 2 mandolin cases around and forget about'em both.

Bill

If you do most of your playing in jam sessions I would go for the loudest one, If you play in a band and use a decent sound system I would go with the one that has the tone that you like best....I played a gig last week and used two different mandolins and didn`t make any adjustments to the sound system and one was way to loud and just didn`t sound right although it is the better mandolin to most peoples way of thinking when played at a jam session....

What a problem to have, either way i don`t think you can go wrong, I have never seen or heard a Stiver that I didn`t like but also I have never played or heard a Kimble....I know that don`t help much....

Willie

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

I'm still sorry I sold my Stiver A-model. The guy that bought it though is keeping for the rest of his life.

I've never played a Kimbale A model.

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

The only way I know of to settle this is to play them back and forth for a few hours and see which one you gravitate towards. And when in doubt, stick with the one you have. All things considered, I'll take sweetness over volume any day of the week, but I no longer play out.

You've got them both in your hands, you don't need our opinion. Keep the one that you like the best, the one that makes you want to pick it up and play.

I've enjoyed chatting about this conundrum, and certainly enjoyed playing both instruments. I stopped by a friends house and had him play both of them for me. Volume is really about the same, maybe the Stiver is a bit louder, but the overall tonal characteristics are just different. They really both have their pluses I think. He also played his hi end Gibson MM for comparison. Then I went to one of our local jams, very high energy, and very loud. The Kimble was just fine in that environment (as good as anything can be). The Stiver also does ok there. Played another friends mandolin there too.

There are so many cool mandolins out there. I wish I could play them all. It fascinates me to hear how they sound and to experience different instruments. Anyway, looks like I'll be playing a Kimble A for a while.

Thanks to all of you for chiming in.

Cheers,

Bill

Bill - That's one of those situations where you have to go with your own 'gut feeling'. My 2 mandolins sound different in the same way as the Stiver & the Kimble. Both are loud,but the Weber is 'sweeter' & more refined. It would be a hard pick to choose either one over the other,hopefully it'll never come to that. You enjoy the Kimble for a while,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

I've played quite a few different examples of both and there would be no question that I would take the Kimble. Stivers are loud and they are great bluegrass mandolins and I wouldnt take anything from them, but Will's mandolins are deseptively loud. I know that sounds strange but Will's mandolins project really well so it may not sound as loud to you but it will cut a mic really well. The first Kimble mandolin I played on a stage sent the sound man diving for the fader when I stepped up to the mic, and the first thing I thought when I picked it up was "this doesnt seem as loud as thought it would" This is what F holed instrunebts were originally designed to do. So if the kimble sounds better to your ear then I wouldnt be too concerned about being heard, because you will be. I will also add that a Stiver A model I played last year was hands down the loudest mandolin I've ever heard wich is cool, but it's not necessary to be the loudest, just loud enough.
    I would also add that the Kimble is likely a better investment financially, he is quickly becoming one of the biggest names in mandolin luthiery and his instuments will likely be more and more sought after. Ultimately its whatever turns your crank, not mine.

Quote Originally Posted by adizz View Post
    I've played quite a few different examples of both and there would be no question that I would take the Kimble. Stivers are loud and they are great bluegrass mandolins and I wouldnt take anything from them, but Will's mandolins are deseptively loud. I know that sounds strange but Will's mandolins project really well so it may not sound as loud to you but it will cut a mic really well. The first Kimble mandolin I played on a stage sent the sound man diving for the fader when I stepped up to the mic, and the first thing I thought when I picked it up was "this doesnt seem as loud as thought it would" This is what F holed instrunebts were originally designed to do. So if the kimble sounds better to your ear then I wouldnt be too concerned about being heard, because you will be. I will also add that a Stiver A model I played last year was hands down the loudest mandolin I've ever heard wich is cool, but it's not necessary to be the loudest, just loud enough.
    I would also add that the Kimble is likely a better investment financially, he is quickly becoming one of the biggest names in mandolin luthiery and his instuments will likely be more and more sought after. Ultimately its whatever turns your crank, not mine.
    That's interesting. My inital reaction was that the Kimble was kinda quiet, but I don't think that at all now. Maybe I just started playing it differently or something, but it's plenty loud; not an issue at all. Actually, the seller noted something similar about his first experience playing it. It'll be fun to play it. Now I have to name it.

Thanks again to folks for sharing their thoughts.

Bill

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    If you do most of your playing in jam sessions I would go for the loudest one, If you play in a band and use a decent sound system I would go with the one that has the tone that you like best....
    That really is the best advice.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

You know Bill, I own a BRW and a Brentrup and I have spent the last six years going around and around trying to figure out which one sounds better. No conclusion yet, I'll keep working on it.

Actually both sound great, different, and have their own musical applications.
    Bill

Maybe you need some blind testing/tasting. Get some friends over who play and who have good ears. Turn out the lights or, even better, blindfold everyone. First you play and let them tell you which one sounds better. Then have them (however many) play each in turn with you blindfolded. Play them both in different rooms, outside inside, in a church, in the bathroom, wherever.

And the final stage: flip a coin... Good luck!
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Good advice and comments from all. Didn't need a coin though, and commited to the Kimble this morning. I am sure I'll enjoy it.

Bill

Bill - If you want a better idea as to how the Mandolin sounds,sit down,hold the Mandolin on your lap to play it,but push it away from you by a few inches.I know it sounds crazy,but you'll hear it much better.I've tried it with both mine & it's amazing at how much more volume & tone you can hear.I think that's why Chris Thile leans over his Mandolin so much when playing seated.
    Ultimately though,get another good player to play it for you,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    Bill - If you want a better idea as to how the Mandolin sounds,sit down,hold the Mandolin on your lap to play it,but push it away from you by a few inches.I know it sounds crazy,but you'll hear it much better.I've tried it with both mine & it's amazing at how much more volume & tone you can hear.I think that's why Chris Thile leans over his Mandolin so much when playing seated.
    Ultimately though,get another good player to play it for you,
    Ivan
    I did have a friend play it, and a couple other nice mandolins. It convinced me. Just a heads up; I'm happy to talk about it, but I'm no longer in need of advice. I bought it.

Thanks again to everyone.