Thread: Simple twist of fate (emando and loop)

Default Simple twist of fate (emando and loop)

Got me ol' leccy mandolin out of storage and this resulted.

Thinking about getting an octave pedal to use with the loop.....

Cheers all,

Marc

http://www.myspace.com/marcwoodward

Default Re: Simple twist of fate (emando and loop)

Very nice Marc, tastefully done. Minimal effects, just enough to get the job done. What are you playing? Is that a solid or semi hollow, magnetic p/u or transducer? Too dark for me to discern, but it sounds great for an e-mando.

Registered Mandolin User mandopete's Avatar

Yeah, I like this a lot. What kind of "'leccy" mandolin is that? It sounds real nice.

For some reason I get a good chuckle at 2:47.

Blog Entries

Love it!
    Keep the e-mando videos coming Marc!
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Hi Mandopete and 1-2 many,
    Thanks, glad you liked it.

It's a solid electric made by Chris Eccleshall in the UK some 35 years ago now! And I've had it from new... aargh!! He made his own magnetic pickups.
    I played through a little Marshall practice amp with a tiny hint of reverb. And that's it - apart from the loop pedal which is a bog standard Boss foot pedal, nothing special.

Chuckle at 2.47? The fact that I can play and scratch my face at the same time? Magic of course !! lol
    Cheers,
    Marc

Blog Entries

c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Yep, that link will take you to a photo of an identical mandolin.

I think I was about 16 when I got mine, which would make it around 1977! It was one of the earliest he'd built.
    I gigged it extensively playing background music, light jazz, easy listening, French Cafe music, sing-alongs, in hotels, restaurants and working men's clubs throughout the south east of England, with my Dad who was a piano accordion player. Instead of working hard at skool I was out playing five nights a week. I've probably still done more miles on it than any other mando (although my F2 must run it a close second...)

Needs a refret now though (never been done and the fifth fret is 'off' now!)
    Cheers,
    Marc

That is absolutely great, Marc. Your intrepretation is extremely melodic. I had a go at playing that a few years back but abandoned the idea. You have refired my imagination. Tell us more about you and your dad doing the workmen's clubs. I'm intrigued. I thought you were American. Doesn't it say that somewhere on your recording? How come you were playing a mandolin at 16? What inspired you to take that up instead of the guitar, say? My first mandolin came through a girlfrield who was mad about Gasoline Alley by Rod Stewart (this is about 1970) but I never did more than strum a few chords on it until 10 or so years ago. So how come a young lad was seriously into it 35 years ago? Excuse me for being so inquisitive

Very nice job Marc! I love that song and played it in a Dylan/Dead cover band, but I like your rendition. Have you played that live?
    Mike Bloder
    Hogan F-5
    Northfield NF-F5S

Hi,
    I was born in New York but came to the UK when I was a toddler - my parents are English but lived in New York through the late fifties early 60s (a great time to be there by all accounts!).
    My dad played guitar, piano and piano accordion and after a fight with cancer in his forties he lost his business and took to playing his accordion in restaurants, pubs, etc to make ends meet. And I'd go with him with my mandolin. We played in all the big hotels on the south coast of England, the Connaught rooms in London, Henley Regatta, river boats on the Thames and so on. I also had a little band at school doing heavy rock numbers on emando (Sunshine of your love etc).
    So a pretty wide range of influences its fair to say. I still play a bit of ze French Cafe music (oo la la..) Here's a petit clip from a recent gig in Devon:

Started mandolin when I was 12/13 having played a little guitar, flute, etc. Musicians used to come round to our house and one of them was an old colonial man who had this dinky little instrument which he'd used to woo his fiance out on the African veldt - and the rest is history as they say!
    Cheers,
    Marc

http://www.myspace.com/marcwoodward
    http://www.facebook.com/marcowoodward
    http://www.facebook.com/kirkwoodbrowntrio

Registered Mandolin User mandopete's Avatar

Is that your dad playing in the video with you? You're a lucky person to have a musical parent. Not that I wasn't lucky too, but my parents were tone deaf. They did support my notion of going into music and sent me off to Berklee when I graduated high school.

Back to the Dylan cover. Yes, very nice interpretation. I like the idea of solo mandolin and since getting out a of band situation I have become more and more interested in what can be done with just mando alone. I like the idea of the loop and you use it a very tasteful way.

Mark, thanks for that Twist of Fate man. I have no profound music background and have been playing for about 5 months now. Its inspiring to watch and listen to such talented musicians such as yourself, keep em coming.

Thank you so much for that information and the clip, Marc. Touching story, great clip, (and he must be a great dad).

Marc, I have been playing your Twist of fate quite a bit over the last week. Wonderful rendering. Do you have any more Dylan tunes up your sleeve, or wherever you keep your musical gems?

Bravo, Bravo (AHHHHH crowd sounds). sweet version of that song. I have a looper I never use.

Thanks for posting. I enjoyed that!