Thread: Mandocello music?

Default Mandocello music?

Can someone point me in the right direction to get started reading music for the mandocello? Maybe some simple arrangements to get going?

Any help would be appreciated...
    Mike

Those who think they should think, like they think others think they should think, need to think out their thinking, I think.

No envejecemos, maduramos. -Pablo Picasso

Default Re: Mandocello music?

I would look to the cello repertoire. Depending on your musical level you could start with some of the Suzuki cello books. If you are adventuresome, check out the cello music on the Werner Icking site.

Mandocello music in the old days would also be written as what they called Universal Notation, so you may find some older methods using that. I would generally steer clear unless you don't really want to confuse your eading on mandolin with mandocello.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Thanks, Jim. I found that Shar Music has a Mark O'Connor cello method [a book+CD set]...do you [or anyone else] know anything about it?
    Mike

Those who think they should think, like they think others think they should think, need to think out their thinking, I think.

I didn't know what level you were with either playing mandocello or with reading, so I was suggesting simpler to start. if you are up to O'Connor's book level, then go for it. I assume this book is for cello and not the mando variety. You might ask Shar to see how much deals with bowing and what the aim of the book is.

I would just read cello music at whatever level you are comfortable with.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

There's the Sol Goichberg Studies for the Mandocello book from Plucked String, but it's not for beginners.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Martin: I hesitated to mention that Goichberg because I was not sure that it was still in print or available anywhere. There is also Bickford's MC method but same problem with availability plus it is notated in Universal Notation, not bass clef, IIRC.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

poor excuse for anything Charlieshafer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wildpikr View Post
    Thanks, Jim. I found that Shar Music has a Mark O'Connor cello method [a book+CD set]...do you [or anyone else] know anything about it?
    We've been using some of the O'Connor books for our younger fiddlers, and we like them a lot. They should be graded, so you can find one at your level. In fact, I think I'll look at the cello book for myself. I can use a little more formalized work.

I got my Goichberg book from eBay. I have the 1999 edition, which is standard notation ... but since it often goes way up the neck, standard notation includes tenor and treble clefs.
    Last edited by mrmando; Oct-20-2011 at 5:43pm.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Thanks to all for the replies.

I'm looking for the simpler stuff to start with so I'll probably investigate the beginner cello music. I inquired about the O'Connor book to Mark's website but still haven't heard anything. I asked if the book might apply or how it might apply to a mandocello, and if he might have any suggestions. I'll try to contact Shar with my same questions. I'm new at the mandocello and want to get a good start; it's such a cool sound.

Thanks again!
    Mike

Thanks for the link, Martin. I've ordered one...

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    I got my Goichberg book from eBay. I have the 1999 edition, which is standard notation ... but since it often goes way up the neck, standard notation includes tenor and treble clefs.
    For those who tried that link, I may have bought the last one listed. You could prob contact the seller to see if she has any more. BTW she took on the sale of the Plucked String catalog which was a publisher who dealt primarily with mandolin-related sheet music. It was run by Norman Levine who passed away around 2004.

BTW for mandolin players, I highly recommend another one of Mr. Goichberg's books. 35 Progressive Etudes for Mandolin. Not sure if it is still available but summernight on eBay used to to have the Plucked String edition.
    Last edited by Jim Garber; Oct-21-2011 at 2:09pm.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

I'm a former orchestra teacher; I'd recommend Book 2 of any Cello method book to get you reading, then maybe some Suzuki books or cello etudes like Lee. You can worry about picking directions after you feel comfortable with the notes. The fingerings, including position shiftings, work fine; I minored in bowed cello and use the same positions all the time on mandocello.
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life--music and cats" Albert Schweitzer

I bought the Goichberg book a few months ago. Since I can read, but not sightread bass clef, I barely made it through the first study. It was really hard work for me, however, I definitely saw the value of it and definitely intend (such a wonderful word!) to move on to the second piece at some point.

Now, if only Mike Marshall would write a mandocello book ...
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

Try here too. Good luck with the mandocello.
    http://www.score-on-line.com/freesco...=cello&lang=en

More suggestions...thanks!

violmando, I've chosen the essential strings series since that was what I found at a local music store. I bought books 1, 2 and the essential technique book for the higher positions and shifting exercises. That ought to keep me occupied for a while...

Greg, thanks for the website...good stuff there.

Shar Music replied...said that they weren't familiar with mandocellos, but also said that I could try their book and send it back if it wasn't what I wanted.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by wildpikr View Post
    More suggestions...thanks!

violmando, I've chosen the essential strings series since that was what I found at a local music store. I bought books 1, 2 and the essential technique book for the higher positions and shifting exercises. That ought to keep me occupied for a while...

Greg, thanks for the website...good stuff there.

Shar Music replied...said that they weren't familiar with mandocellos, but also said that I could try their book and send it back if it wasn't what I wanted.
    You're welcome. IMO, start with the Dotzauer, #s 1, 7, 10, 14 & 17. Don't worry tremelo right now. Down strokes only and let them ring. Once you get the piece 'under your hand,' you'll know when to pick up the tempo.
    Good luck, bon chance, bueno suerte.
    Greg

Thanks for that link Greg.

Also here http://www.free-scores.com/index_uk.php3
    TONS of free music here, but I've found just 2 composers' cello books. One is by Sevcik, the other Klengel (2 volumes). In PDF format. Again, scan the books for pieces you feel you can handle and go slow until you feel confident. To break the bordedom of cello studies, enter solo violoncello in the search box. Your query will retrieve many pieces at all performance levels.