Thread: Alaska, anyone?

Default Alaska, anyone?

Just starting to learn the mandolin, and a lot of people say to go sit in at jams, play when you can without messing up everyone that knows what they are doing, and you will progress faster.
    Is there anywhere in Alaska (preferrably the Mat-Su valley/Anchorage, Fairbanks, and Valdez areas) that folks get together informally to pick a bit? The above areas are a long way apart, but I live in the Mat-Su area and work on the pipeline from Prudhoe to Valdez, so would like to get together wherever I can, meet some good people, and learn this thing a bit.
    Thanks,
    Toby

The Atlantis sails. Kevin Turinsky's Avatar

Thumbs up Re: Alaska, anyone?

Hey Toby,

My instructor, Kevin Cassity, is offering a beginners' jam class every other Saturday from 3PM-4PM. It's great for beginners. Several eager players are showing up; more each week - fiddles, banjos, ukes, mandolins, guitars. His studio is on Old Seward Hwy, conveniently located very close to Dino's Donuts! Look him up on the Internet and give him a call.

Tuesday evenings at 7:30 is a regular jam at Guido's. I haven't been there, but hear it's really nice, and the group is very inviting.

And don't forget that Folk Festival is coming up in a few months! http://www.anchoragefolkfestival.org/ - Lots of opportunities to mix it up w/ folks. ...Though, as you know, the parking lot is pretty cold that time of year.

See you at the next jam class!

Kevin

Default Re: Alaska, anyone?

Thanks!! Will start looking!!