Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Builders who are good pickers.

Default Re: Builders who are good pickers.

"some people just like to find fault with everything that is posted on here...."
    "I strongly disagree with that statement..."
    I disagree with both of those statements! (add whatever type of smiley that you prefer here...)

As a banjo "builder" I COULD take offense, but as a banjo player, I'm pretty thick skinned. The banjo is much maligned, as are bagpipes, accordions, or any of the other instruments that have served as stage props for comedy. The banjo is often "built" by players that want better instruments due to it's bolt-together nature. It's an easy target. I personally don't have an interest in assembling parts that other folks make, but that's because I like to end up on the more adventurous end of the banjo spectrum.
    I DO make my own tension bands, raw brass brackets, wood rims from highly figured woods such as birdseye, spalted maple, etc. as well as neck reinforcements, tone rings, stainless steel tail pieces, and some custom inlay. I DO draw the line at tuners and use Gotohs and Pegheds planetaries. I haven't thought of a way to make 'em easily yet...

I know there's no offense meant here, but it's easy to see how anyone might react in a defensive fashion. All of the forums that I'm associated with see an occasional defensive post. I figure if you inadvertantly (or otherwise) throw your old bacon grease in the fire you have to be willing to settle for a bit of flair-up!

As far as mandos go, I've built exactly 1 florentine-style and I ain't exactly anxious to start another one. Luckily, it turned out well and serves me as my main performance instrument. I'm most interested in going outside of the conventional norm, even in mando building.
    rudy44

Rudy, My hat goes out to you if you make you own tone rings, thats quite an accomplishment getting the formula just right etc...I was refering to people that buy all of the parts and just assemble them and they say "I built this banjo"....

Lawrence Smart is a fine picker.......mandolin, violin & guitar.

Tyler White plays really cleanly! Haven’t heard him play a whole song, but what I have heard is really pretty!
    2019 Tyler White custom F5 #17
    2012 Huss and Dalton RD-M
    2019 Gann resonator guitar

https://www.youtube.com/user/kinmanknives

Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl Watson View Post
    John Voight is a mighty good player.
    Cheryl, Did you mean Dan Voight (luthier/mandolinist in Nashville)? Jon Voight is a mighty good actor, and also Angelina Jolie's father. But he doesn't play mandolin, to my knowledge.

Marty Jacobson.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I don’t think Lou Stiver got mentioned yet. He should be on this list for sure,
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

I wish Marty would update his website. I love his #37 that he made for me about 4 years ago. Whenever I get a craving for a ‘better’ mandolin, I take it to Bernunzio’s in Rochester, NY and test it against their vintage stock. I always am more impressed with Marty’s instrument.

I wonder how many or how few mandolin builders do not play at instrument at all. I have a feeling not too many. That doesn’t mean that if you are not a great Mandolin player you would not be a great builder but there probably has to be some skills that a person must have.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

No one mentioned Bill Halsey... yet
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

mando-evangelist August Watters's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Snyder View Post
    Mr. Loar was a well known classical mandolin player. I think that is what started his association with Gibson.
    Yes - this is an area where the conventional wisdom is far from the best information available. Please refer to Walter Carter's book, "Mandolin in America: The Full Story from Orchestras to Bluegrass to the Modern Revival."

Loar was a well-known mandolin virtuoso, and a Gibson endorser. The rest of it - including his connection to the Loar-signed, Master Model mandolin -- is tenuous.
    Last edited by August Watters; Jul-31-2018 at 9:14am.
    Exploring Classical Mandolin (Berklee Press, 2015)
    Progressive Melodies for Mandocello (KDP, 2019) (2nd ed. 2022)
    New Solos for Classical Mandolin (Hal Leonard Press, 2020)
    2021 guest artist, mandocello: Classical Mandolin Society of America