Thread: Building an Octave mando (body size Q)

Default Building an Octave mando (body size Q)

Yes, so you've all never heard from me, but I've been tagging along on the forum for a long time now.

I'm a student woodworker and my final project is coming up. I've decided to build an octave mandolin. At home I have a simple (cheap-ish) mandolin and I've added a bouzouki to that a few months ago.

I've ordered the Graham McDonals Bouzouki book in which I hope to find some usefull information. But we're busy sketching our final projects now (and drawing them on the computer) and I'm not sure about body sizes. I want to build a teardrop shaped body and I suppose I could just make a template of my zouk and size it down a bit. But I was wondering who has an octave mando lying 'round and would be willing to measure it for me?

I'm thinking about, widest part, length from where the neck meets the body to the tail and the depth.

Just wondering to see what's out there. I'll be mailing some builders as well to see if they want to share some sizes with me. But I figured it never hurts to ask here as well.

Thanks in advance!
    Now I suppose I'll go back and continue on my cookie-tin creations at home.

Default Re: Building an Octave mando (body size Q)

Where are you located?

Also, post this in the Builders and Repairs section - that's frequented by some name builders...

I live in the Netherlands, Europe.

Ordered OM building plans from Don Kawalek. He mailed me a copy if some drawings and the real thing has been posted today. So that's a good start.

I'll post my question in the other section as well. Thanks!

This drawing shows what I built. It is pretty much bouzouki size.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Octave Mandolin.pdf  
    Jim Baker