Thread: Pre war Stella Mandolin

Question Pre war Stella Mandolin

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nancy's Stella Mandolin.JPG 
Views:	1539 
Size:	108.5 KB 
ID:	76850
    Hi folks. I am wondering if anyone can help me bracket a date on this Stella. If I am fortunate, there is a picture that you can see. It has been inspected by a Luthier that I trust. It is a solid top, all mahogany instrument. The kerfing suggests pre-WWII.

any ideas?
    doug

Default Re: Pre war Stella Mandolin

Doug,

It is a post-war instrument (probably mid-50's) produced by Harmony, with the Stella name. Look on this page and you'll see pictures of 1950's Stella-branded Harmony guitars with identical logo and finish. http://harmony.demont.net/model.php?id=239

Harmony instruments often have a rubber stamp inside on the back, something like "F-57". This example would mean Fall, 1957. So if you have such a stamp you'll know the exact year.

Steve

Thanks Steve. Your feedback is a big help. One thing I'm still trying to reconcile is that this instrument has a solid top while all the research I can do indicates that the post war models you are referring to have plywood tops. Also, the Luthier is pretty convinced that the kerfing is pre-war. A mystery? Any ideas on where I could continue my research?
    doug

It's definitely a 50's/60's Harmony built Stella but the F doesn't stand for fall. It's been determined the they marked them F for first half and S for second half so F57 would first half of 1957. The Fall Summer thing was the common knowledge for years until someone actually interviewed a former Harmony employee a few years ago. The top will be solid, the mahogany top would be a real surprise. Obviously I don't have it in my hands but it would be the first I'd ever seen of that model with a mahogany top and I've held dozens. harmony used solid woods until just before they stopped building in the US in the late 60's early 70's. Don't get hung up on the kerfing, they were date stamped. It's not pre-war.

Post a picture of the back of the headstock and the tuner buttons. Look inside with a flashlight. There might be two different numbers, a number like XXXHXXX and F or S and a two digit number. That may be in a square of a circle or it may be by itself. It's also possible that there won't be any numbers.

Mike,

Thanks for verifying that it's First/Second. I'd read both Fall/Spring and First/Second but wasn't sure if either was verified. I understand they shut the factory down for two weeks in the middle of the summer and everyone took vacation. When they came back, they changed the rubber stamp.

Yes, Harmony always used solid wood. Doug, you might be thinking of Kay, who pioneered laminated instruments. I have seen pre-war Harmony mandolins with mahogany top/back/sides, but not on post-war instruments.

In comparing your mandolin to the pictures on the Harmony site, I'd say the logo looks closest to the one on the 1957 guitar. So, if you don't have a rubber stamp date, that's probably a reasonable guess.

Would you like to see the factory where your mandolin was built? Go on Google maps and look at the street view of 1754 North Lawndale Avenue, Chicago, il. The old brick buildings are still there.

I ordered a brand new Harmony mandolin from them back when they were still in business, and that was a long time ago!

Steve

Mike and Steve
    Thanks to both of you for your help. This is really outstanding. The Mandolin is currently at the Luthier's place for some minor fix-ups to bring it back to playable condition. Once I get it back I will post more detailed pictures and also ask him if he can confirm the material of the top and we will take another look for a stamp or any internal markings. There is a certain joy in knowing the origins of your instrument, even the humble Stella.
    doug

What is so different about the kerfed lining on the older ones that makes him think it is prewar?
    Bill Snyder