Thread: String gauge options for Mandobird IV?

Default String gauge options for Mandobird IV?

I picked up a used M-IV and I'm concerned that the strings on it are too heavy for the neck (does this thing even have a truss rod?).

I'd appreciate it if anyone would weigh in on the the practical options, lightest to heaviest, for string gauges on this model.

thanks,

Mike

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Default Re: String gauge options for Mandobird IV?

Go to emando.com, operated by a member. Martin is very knowledgeable about all things emando, and sells strings in four guage ranges, from normal to ultralight, which is what I use - 9 - 13 - 22 - 34. I am able to get a three-fret bend out of them, which is a lot of fun. I started with something similar to the D'Addario J74 sizes, thinking that would be great for swapping out in case one breaks on either mandolin, but they were too stiff for my style. And since playing is a more often occurrence than breaking ... Also, he sells these as 8-string sets, so you are getting a set and a spare. And last but not least, you can customize your sets to your liking, and it's all very user-friendly.

Oh, and while you're there, look through the gallery and see all the amazing electric mandolins on display. Or don't - it might make you long for something a bit swankier than the MandoBird. No truss rod, BTW.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Hi Mike, not to put you off , but this subject as been covered extensively. Search "mandobird strings".
    Depends on your playing style and the sound you're after. Experiment and have fun.

I'll try the search--I usually don't have much luck and I figured it was a quick, easy answer. I suppose the thread in question will address the matter of whether the necks typically react badly to a heavier string...?

I'm definitely not looking for a rock mandolin (three-fret bends)--I got this because it's a good "silent" mando for practicing when the wife is asleep. Also, I used to collect Firebird guitars back in the 70's so it's fun to hang this on the wall.

Thanks to both of you who responded. I do appreciate it.

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

I've had mine three years and I haven't noticed any problem with the neck. I know that since they are so inexpensive one tends to be apprehensive. That would be another reason to go with light strings.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

heavy strings? , tune down to another set of 5ths intervals. I have a CGDA tuning,
    on my modified EM150. C is a .050",
    the others are same as mandolin gages, moved over..

a FCGD is 2 half steps lower , EBF#C#, is 3.

same relationships , just different names.

Weak E string issue goes away, When it's an A.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture