Thread: Emandos with piezos

Default Emandos with piezos

A lot of guitars are being built with both magnetic pickups and piezos (Parker guitars, PRS Hollowbodies, Fenders with power bridges etc.) for both an electric and an acoustic sound. Are there any emandos with magnetic pickups and piezos?

Bill
    Vintagized Rickenbacker 330
    Martin D15
    BroJo Cigar Box Tenor Guitar
    Apollo Octave Mandolin
    Recording King Resonator Mando
    Kentucky KM-300E

Default Re: Emandos with piezos

the guitar systems can be used on emando that use saddles . i have ghost tech on mine

I believe Steve Ryder offers the saddle bridge piezo pick up option on his emandos.

Steve does offer a piezo pick up. I think Jonathan Mann does as well. I would like to add the following to Bill's original question; how much of an acoustic sound do you get? Is there a big difference between hollow and semi-hollow as far as the acoustic sound goes?

I had a chance to play one of Steve's EM-18's the other day without the piezo. It had great tone, but I was really interested to see what it could have done with the piezo. Not being a guitar player I don't really have a frame of reference from that world.

Thanks,
    Todd

Registered User Matt Hutchinson's Avatar

Paul Shippey makes an e-mando with a fitted piezo. I've never seen one in the flesh (wood?) or heard one though. I like the look of them

I'm sure he'd be able to add a magnetic pickup as a custom option

Steve buys RMC individual bridge piece piezos, , so does Godin.
    Godin uses them in their guitars, but no magnetic pickup in their A8.

a bit of wood working on an A 8 and you could add a magnetic pickup.

some overtones are added by having a bridge sit on a soundboard,

I note tone differences between 2 CGDA tuned 4 strings, 1 an em150
    and the other a solid Alder bodied one, using the magnetic pickup on both..

Phoenix Jazz is a 2 point Acoustic with a dual source pickup an in bridge piezo and a Magnetic pickup .

I think you need a insert splitter to separate the channels as there is a TRS jack ,
    for the tone and volume controls on each.
    T&R are both hot, like a stereo, the signals from the 2 sources, S is the common Ground/return.

Retrofits, you could just use 2 cables , and 2 jacks. Godin has an Onboard Preamp from RMC also..

I modified my solid body 4 string with RMC's 8 pin DIN jack and patch cord, it feeds an RMC polydrive box #2.
    the installing tech added a splitter jack on the PD2 box to separate the Magnetic signal back out of the bundled
    cable.

Poly drive also wires the out put for the piezo bridge pieces to a monoural preamped output with tone and volume sliders,
    And the 13 pin Roland/Axon connection for guitar synths.

So though it is not Made in a certain way , with a little effort , there is much that can be done..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture