Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Eastman MD-305 feedback

Default Re: Eastman MD-305 feedback

Regarding MD305 neck, nut on one in my hands is 1.116" - about that of a violin nut. Feels very good, and I will likely set it up for Rebecca, my partner, if I don't sell it. I would change the spacing between the strings of each course, moving them closer together and thereby increasing the distance between the courses. I suspect that's where most of the issues come from. It's not that big a deal and makes a big difference.

Then again, I will also change the bridge, go through the instrument as much as I can to get the performance I want, and will generally soup it up as much as I can!

I think these are better than in 2011. Sound great, and maybe the finish is OK. Still not a fan of the inexpensive stamped tailpiece. I don't mind stamped, just like a higher quality one. And the tuners are not my favorite!

Have fun.
    Stephen Perry

2. The following members say thank you to Stephen Perry for this post:

The width of the neck is a very personal thing. Personally, I like an even narrower nut-width than comes on the Eastman

4. The following members say thank you to robert.najlis for this post:

I have medium hands that are fairly delicate (longer fingers with narrower tips) and I like the Eastman neck too. When I first started playing mando. I feared it was too narrow. Now I would not want it any wider.

If you have very large hands, maybe you would enjoy the wider spacing of the Breedlove crossover.

I really like my md305. My tuners are not backwards so they may have changed that. Not sure when. The tuners work fine. Instrument stays tuned. Intonation is very good. The frets are small which I wasnt sure about at first but now I like. I took extra effort to have the bridge sanded down to fit and the nut grooves made right (2 luthiers) and its a full contact ebony bridge. I like the satin finish. It looks old and doesn't show scuffs.

The tailpiece is cheap but works fine and rather than replace it, I simply removed the cover and fashioned a black suede one to fit and held by velcro tape strips. it looks and works great. I would not spend any money on a tailpiece upgrade as there is no difference in tone. Its not really even cosmetic. No reason to throw money away. Save it for your next mando. In fact, I wouldnt do any upgrades except the best set up you can muster.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

6. The following members say thank you to Astro for this post:

One Eastman feature that is perhaps not so obvious: the strings in each course could be more narrowly spaced, giving more room on the fingerboard for larger fingers. I have done a good number of nut replacements on Eastman mandolins for that reason.
    Stephen Perry

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stephen Perry For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Perry View Post
    One Eastman feature that is perhaps not so obvious: the strings in each course could be more narrowly spaced, giving more room on the fingerboard for larger fingers. I have done a good number of nut replacements on Eastman mandolins for that reason.
    Agreed, I've always thought mine were too far apart.

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
    One common feature of all Eastman mandolins is their very narrow neck. If I were you I'd consider something by Breedlove: they have an Asian made line that is around the same price as an Eastman. There's a great thread going on now about the 299.00 Crossover model. Good luck.
    Thanks! I'll try and find an all solid model though. If all else fails there are plenty of old Levin mandolins with wide necks in sweden.

Quote Originally Posted by Twilo123 View Post
    i have a MD315 that i got recently (i am new. it was my first). thread here http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...-Off-Normal-Or
    now that i got a 2nd mandolin thread here http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...bacco-Sunburst i can see a difference in necks. the Eastman neck is slimmer and i have large hands also. for large hands all mandolins take some getting used to i am finding though. it can be done though. i'm probably just a bit sloppier starting out than someone with smaller hands is all. just practice to get the right angle down for pressure with my size hands is all.

if you are new you might want to read my swirly ear post to become aware of F vs A style mandolins. i ran into an issue on F style that i did not think about ahead of time as shown in the thread.
    Judging by the picture in your swirly ear post your fingers are slightly thicker than mine, so that's encouraging! I've actually thought about the headstock scrolls for a while and how fragile they look.

Good to know about the string spacing, I'll look in to that if I settle on the 305. I suppose it would be better to learn playing on a narrow neck, so as not to be limited to extra wide necks.

I played a 305 recently at a local music shop. I thought it had a nice, full sound; the fit and finish were certainly adequate, nothing stood out negatively, except I did think the tuners were sub-optimal. To me, little things make a huge difference; I stress out over the bridge pins in my guitar, so the tuners would bother me.
    Northfield Artist Series F5 (2 bar, Adirondack)

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeandren View Post
    Thanks! I'll try and find an all solid model though. If all else fails there are plenty of old Levin mandolins with wide necks in sweden.
    And this one in Germany: http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/80535.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

I've had my 315 for about a year and a half now and love it. Plays easy and sounds great and whenever I'm at a jam or camp someone wants to buy it. It's a great mandolin for the price.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

I have the Eastman md 615 acoustic-electric, and the md 305, which is the entry level, tear drop model. The first thing I noticed about the md 305 is how loud it is. This is a great advantage, since the mandolin is a small instrument and does not compete well on volume with guitars or banjos, unless amplified. The matte finish is beautiful, with a deep, rich dark brown color, but does not protect well against dings. However, the matte finish does allow the wood to vibrate freely, creating greater volume and superior tone. The tuners are fine, but I prefer Grover, with replaceable screws, so I may make a change here. The tail piece is stamped chrome; the classic design developed by Orville Gibson in the early days. My md 615 has the heavier cast tailpiece, which some people think creates more sustain. I am unconvinced of that, so I probably will not make any changes in the tail piece on my md 305. All in all, the md 305 is a great value for the money!

Can't go wrong with an Eastman. I've had my 515 for about 6 months and love it.
    2016 Eastman MD515-CS

I have both the md 615 and md 305. One is F style, the other is A style. The md 615 has the glossy finish and full binding, along with an internal pickup, which is great for recording or playing live. Eastman mandolins are hand carved, all wood instruments with a great tone and looks. The md 305 has the satin finish which is minimal, not much more than a dark stain, but this allows the wood to breathe and produce explosive volume and great tone. Vibration creates volume and tone, and this mandolin vibrates freely! The md 305 comes with the traditional chrome tailpiece, designed originally by Orville Gibson. I do not detect a difference in tone or sustain with the heavier Allen style cast tailpiece, despite what people claim. If desired, the heavier, cast tail piece can be purchased directly through the Eastman website. The md 305 is highly recommended!
    Last edited by JamieJ; Apr-26-2017 at 10:02pm.

After reading this thread I think the Eastman MD615 is going to be my first mandolin purchase. Of course the Mandolin Store is out of them now but I'll finance one somewhere. I would like the pickup for recording. I've been playing guitar for over 30 years and I've been beating my head against the wall about what mandolin I want and how much I'm willing to drop on it. Thanks for the information.....my mind is....almost....set.

Why do you want a pickup for recording? Is your environment so noisy you have no hope with a mic? While I have recorded both at the same time, the mic is where the tone comes from. I may add the pickup into the mix for more high end cut, but usually not.

Now for a loud band on stage, it's just the ticket.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Because that's how I like to record acoustic instruments if that's ok with you. Good lord why do you care what method I use to lay down tracks ? Eastman sells a lot of 615 Mandolins so I'm not the only one interested in them for this feature. The mic is where the tone comes from ? Face palm.........
    Last edited by Stompboxfreak72; Apr-30-2017 at 10:12pm.

Bit of a odd reaction to someone asking you a fair question. Nobody is criticizing how you like to record. The quality of a mic recording is better than that of a pickup. I believe Br1ck was merely trying to get some more details on how you'd like to use the instrument and perhaps offer some advice. Although after a response like that, you wouldn't get it from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Stompboxfreak72 View Post
    Because that's how I like to record acoustic instruments if that's ok with you. Good lord why do you care what method I use to lay down tracks ? Eastman sells a lot of 615 Mandolins so I'm not the only one interested in them for this feature. The mic is where the tone comes from ? Face palm.........
    First off, buy what you want, the 615 is a great instrument. Before you buy the 615, see what kind of set up the Big boys use-(hint; it's not a pickup). And what will happen to your 615 if the pickup has a problem? The 615 is basically a 515 with a pickup. Ask yourself why higher end mandolins don't have pickup. Eastman does not offer a pickup'd 815 or 915.

I use a mike on my flute and sax. You can't go wrong with the Shure SM58
    Eastman MD 515
    1991 33SB Gemeinhardt Flute
    1996 Yamaha YAS 62 Alto Sax

Quote Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
    First off, buy what you want, the 615 is a great instrument. Before you buy the 615, see what kind of set up the Big boys use-(hint; it's not a pickup). And what will happen to your 615 if the pickup has a problem? The 615 is basically a 515 with a pickup. Ask yourself why higher end mandolins don't have pickup. Eastman does not offer a pickup'd 815 or 915.

I use a mike on my flute and sax. You can't go wrong with the Shure SM58
    I have some instruments with pickups and some without. I like to have the option to plug in depending on the situation. I will often use both the pickup and a mic and mix them to give me a better sound for the situation. It is nice to have the pickup factory installed, and warrantied, by the manufacturer.

Not to derail the thread, but how do you folks find the quality of sound from pick up v mic?

Ive always worked on the premise that a clip on mic will give a better quality of sound while a pick up is a good option for noisey live gigs where quality of sound is not so decernible.

Quote Originally Posted by noah finn View Post
    Ive always worked on the premise that a clip on mic will give a better quality of sound while a pick up is a good option for noisey live gigs where quality of sound is not so decernible.
    My thoughts exactly.

27. The following members say thank you to Lowlands Blue for this post:

I think a clip on mic is great at reproducing a consistent sound from your instrument due to its fixed position. That can also be a drawback, however. There are a lot of possibilities that dedicated instrument mic on a stand afford also. For a solo, in particular, instead of increasing the strength of picking, or stomping on a gain pedal, or relying on a sound guy (who we rarely have) to boost the gain, you can just take a step closer to the mic and keep picking easily and quickly. Picking loudly and quickly are often opposite targets. Utilizing a clip on mic and a gain pedal in your loop can do some of the same, but it is really either on or off. It is possible on some clip on mics to adjust the volume on the clip, but that is also not an easy thing to do consistently while playing. Being able to self-adjust my volume through the sound system by moving towards or away from the mic, is helpful.

29. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Lowlands Blue View Post
    Bit of a odd reaction to someone asking you a fair question. Nobody is criticizing how you like to record. The quality of a mic recording is better than that of a pickup. I believe Br1ck was merely trying to get some more details on how you'd like to use the instrument and perhaps offer some advice. Although after a response like that, you wouldn't get it from me.
    Correct you are.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Fellas I'm sorry we got off on the wrong foot. I have health problems and I'm currently admitted in a hospital in NYC. I was tired and not at my best when I reacted to the post.

If I'm lucky I will be playing mandolin in church with a very rudimentary and limited sound system. Plugging a mandolin into a Fishmanloudbox is going to be the only option I have. It may not be what the "big boys" use but my intent is to play at church....not the Grand Ole Opry. I have been gigging for decades and when I use my Taylor 614 acoustic guitar in I plug it directly to the board or through the Fishman.

Recording....I have two little kids. If I fire up Presonus then I will plug straight into my DAW to avoid extraneous noise. To avoid bleed I would use a mandolin the same way.

I posted a positive in my mind....that I found the entry level mandolin that would suite my needs and the responses I have gotten on this board have not been positive on this thread. Tone snobbery is all detect. I'm a beginning player not Chris Thile. I do apologize for my post and all I can say is that I hope this forum is more laid back than what has been displayed here.