Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 18" Scale Eastwood Airline Electric Mandola - GDAE or DGBE?

Default Re: 18" Scale Eastwood Airline Electric Mandola - GDAE or DGBE?

Quote Originally Posted by MandoSquirrel View Post
    Anybody know if they have a hard case to fit the Eastwood Airline Mandola, or only bags? I'm considering ordering one, or a mandocaster, & I'm a firm believer in hard cases.
    they do have them but they may or may not be out of stock . they should have a regular case for it but not the deluxe .

The hard case is a rectangular case retrofitted for the mandola. It's quite a bit longer than the instrument. Probably made for electric guitar. It works though.

I have had my Eastwood Mandola for about six months now. I am getting a pretty decent jazz guitar type of sound with only 4 strings. I still tune it CGDA but I put light strings on so it feels slinky, like an electric guitar. Here is a video clip from a gig at a winery a few weeks ago. Sorry about the poor lighting.

Yeah, the Airline has a very cool mysterious sound to it. Playing alone it sounds eerie, but when I play with others (mainly a strummer here), it sounds almost a bit out of tune - something I, the novice, attribute to the low C string. It seems to blend better when I stay away from the C string.

I capo'd at the 7th fret to play like a mando and it sounds "happier?" Maybe that's just because the notes are higher.

Sorry to those that responded to my classified ad for the Airline. I'm still playing around to see if the Airline stays or gets replaced by an electric mando. On the plus side, I love the unique shape and vibe, the ability to easily play power chords on the two low strings, and the ability to just capo up to play GDAE.

I did try capo at the 5th fret, but not all those chords I want are easily reached (or faked) by my stubby fingers. Am I missing something (other than natural abillity)?

BB

Quote Originally Posted by rico mando View Post
    Have you tried a tenor guitar ed? i love mine .i have a goldtone acoustic and a eastwood electric . the fret board is flat on these and the eastwood has a wide neck .
    I just wanted to take this moment to say " I told you so ED "

Blog Entries

Indeed you did Rico, and you were spot on!
    I love my Eastwood Warren Ellis. I play it everyday, and always have a big smile on my face after the playing session (especially since getting my Earthquaker Devices Fuzz pedal! )
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Quote Originally Posted by MandoSquirrel View Post
    Anybody know if they have a hard case to fit the Eastwood Airline Mandola, or only bags? I'm considering ordering one, or a mandocaster, & I'm a firm believer in hard cases.
    Since the Kay guitar I decided to sell was only getting low ball offers, I contacted Mike at Eastwood about his trade in deal, & today received my new Airline Mandola, with hard case. It looks as good as or better than it does online, & I'm thinking it may turn out to be fun. Tuning it, though, it felt like it might could go to mandolin tuning with the strings on it, which look, as someone noted on the cafe, to be bronze(ball ends). It seems to sound okay,but I think the strings will need to be switched for something else before long.

Addendum: I just ordered 2 sets of e'dola strings from Martin(emando). I'd rather try flatwounds, but piecing together the right gauges looks like an expensive process.
    Last edited by MandoSquirrel; Nov-29-2012 at 9:39pm.
    Elrod
    Gibson A2 1920(?)
    Breedlove Cascade
    Washburn 215(?) 1906-07(?)
    Victoria, B&J, New York(stolen 10/18/2011)
    Eastwood Airline Mandola

guitars:
    Guild D-25NT
    Vega 200 archtop, 1957?

8. The following members say thank you to MandoSquirrel for this post: