Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A-style mandolin strap 'location'

Default Re: A-style mandolin strap 'location'

I always take them out, I don't like them in the heel as they get in the way. Headstock for me and it balances very nicely thank you.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

2. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Right after I bought my Breedlove crossover online from Guitar Center, I went over to Tandy leather company and bought a leather shoelace to tie my strap to the headstock. That was a couple or three years ago. Today I installed a pin, and I like how it rides on my shoulder better. I did it myself. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171120_160405.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	333.9 KB 
ID:	162440

I had a A40 with out a button on either end. and coped somehow,.. cords and knots..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Visentin View Post
    I recently contacted Collings to get a matching button. They told me to get one from Stew Mac and put it 3/4 of an inch down from the bottom of the fret board an 1/2 inch from the body. I bought one locally (cheaper and no S&H) and did it my self. Not rocket surgery or brain science.
    I like that specific positioning advice. Here is the other specifics for this simple operation:
    -use a small hand drill, not a power drill.
    -put tape or a rubber band on the bit to mark exactly how deep you want to drill.
    -the pilot hole should be about 80-90% of the shank diameter of the screw.
    -soap the thread of the screw, and as with the hole-drilling, use a hand screwdriver, not a power one.
    -If the screw is really resistant to turning, DON'T force it. Carefully back it out and drill out the hole with the next size up of bit (preferably 1/64th increments, 1/32 at most)

As with all such operations, its best to do a practice run on an equivalent piece of wood that is not part of your instrument!