Thread: Sad fate of a '56 Mandocaster

Default Sad fate of a '56 Mandocaster

I had half an eye on this eBay auction of a badly repainted '56 Fender Mandocaster with a partially sawed-off horn. Not a beaut, but I figured it might be one Mandocaster I could afford! Sadly, however, the auction ended early before I placed a snipe, or even a bid.

Well, now we know what happened ... somebody acquired it offline and has cannibalized the poor puppy. There was no indication in the original ad that the Mandocaster was incomplete or not in working condition ... but that hasn't stopped this eBay butcher in Tallahassee from trying to part it out.

Starting bid on the original auction was $500 (no bids were received); you have to figure that Dr. Frankenstein here got the instrument for something close to that. Add up his prices for parts and they come to $1905. Yeesh.
    Last edited by mrmando; Aug-22-2011 at 12:03pm.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Default Re: Sad fate of a '56 Mandocaster

Unless there is someone out there wanting to restore one of these, I bet this guy doesn't sell these parts. Maybe you could offer him $550 for the whole batch.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Maybe less, since he's made matters worse by sanding off part of the repaint job!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

<GASP!!!> The horror! The humanity!

The gouging! $400 for the case? $135 for six screws? At $22.50 a pop, they should be made of Gold. Well, titanium - gold is too soft.

I know times are hard, but ... sheesh!!!

Jim may be right. Give him a few weeks of no responses and make him an offer.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Actually, I don't need the case, since I already have a vintage Mandocaster case (it's in much worse shape than this one, but what the heck). So, $250 for the instrument if he puts it back together, and if someone else gives him the $395 he's asking for the case, he might still make a little money!

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

I don't know much about vintage instruments and their pricing, it just seems his prices are a bit, well, fanciful.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

In the original auction anybody else notice it was strung backwards?

$500 for a mandocaster isn't out of the question - particularly a vintage one. But that one could have been strung as a lefty which is why they took a chunk out of the upper horn.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

I have heard that powdered mandocaster horn is a potent musical aphrodisiac . but it may just be myth and i can play hard rock for most of a full nights set any way . honest

Well, if I thought the dude on eBay was a gouger (news flash: he sold most of his parts), I apparently hadn't seen nothin' yet.

Wow... . Just the pick guard screws left.
    Hereby & forthwith, any instrument with an odd number of strings shall be considered broken. With regard to mix levels, usually the best approach is treating the mandolin the same as a cowbell.

I can't tell what happened to the pickup! Dr. Frankenstein did have an auction going for the pickup, but it appears to have been deleted. Too bad, a certain mandolin builder in New England asked me a few days ago if I knew where he could find an original '56 Mandocaster pickup, and I couldn't help him.

Hereby & forthwith, any instrument with an odd number of strings shall be considered broken. With regard to mix levels, usually the best approach is treating the mandolin the same as a cowbell.