Thread: Piezo + preamp for solid body nylon-strung tenor?

Question Piezo + preamp for solid body nylon-strung tenor?

With a holiday approaching and the need for a portable and quiet instrument to take with me, I've launched into making a nylon strung solid body tenor guitar, or more accurately baritone uke with 19" scale that I'm thinking of tuning AEBF#. I've never made an electric instrument before and would appreciate any recommendations anyone might have for an under-saddle piezo pickup plus an onboard preamp unit that would not break the bank. I like the idea of being able to plug in headpones directly like you can on the Risa Stick or Eleuke instruments, but I cannot find this feature on any after-market parts. I've seen lots of kits for acoustic guitars, some of which would be slim enough to work, but I'm not sure what would be suitable for an instrument such as mine. I'd be grateful for any ideas.
    Many thanks in advance,
    Dean

Luthier&Pickup maker ret. Soundfarmer Pete's Avatar

Default Re: Piezo + preamp for solid body nylon-strung tenor?

Andrew Jerman may be able to help....some of his mandos have headphone and mp3 sockets.
    http://www.crossroadswood.com/index.html
    Artec pickups are inexpensive and bang for buck, deliver a great sound!
    They`re also available with plenty of size options so you should find one that suits.

Thanks a lot, Pete, I've had a look at the Artec range and it looks to be just the job.
    Cheers,
    Dean

Nylon string is a different animal than steel string since you are using a piezo. The impedance issue is different since you'd be using a preamp. It should be easier to wire than a passive system. Artec is the right place to start.