Thread: Almuse MB8Bucker??

Default Almuse MB8Bucker??

Just as I'm getting ready to retrofit my Mandobird VIII with a better pickup and pots, I see there are now two Almuse pickup options. Anyone had an opportunity to A/B the original vs the new HB version?

Default Re: Almuse MB8Bucker??

Hmm, I guess these are not popular...

well i have heard many good things from people who upgraded their pickups with almuse . but i do not know which they received . talk to pete at almuse , i am sure either one will be a great improvement . the question is more likely which tonal characteristics do you prefer .

& the world is not all reading on this forum, Dave, so not really a representative sample..

the seller/maker would likely tell you tell you what they know. at least,
    differences, in the way they are made.

He posts on this forum, occasionally.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I like my MB8. like the OP I wonder what the difference would be and A/B them, but it's a lot of money and effort to do this from the other side of the world...
    I think there may even be a third option... The phatbird based on a p-90 single coil. Only have experience with the original mb8, I doubt too many have tried more than one, so best ask Soundfarmer Pete here or via the email address on his website.
    Hereby & forthwith, any instrument with an odd number of strings shall be considered broken. With regard to mix levels, usually the best approach is treating the mandolin the same as a cowbell.

The aren't going to be very many people other than pete who've had the opportunity to have both in hand. I have the single coil, and have been thinking about getting the HB one, but the single coil is pretty darn good, so I haven't had much real reason to do the work.
    Last edited by Schlegel; Sep-15-2011 at 9:17pm.

i recommend getting more emandos so you can have lots of different pick ups

Quote Originally Posted by rico mando View Post
    i recommend getting more emandos so you can have lots of different pick ups
    Amen! I second that opinion.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Luthier&Pickup maker ret. Soundfarmer Pete's Avatar

Yep......now there are three......
    The MB8L is the basic single coil with a slightly hotter wind......by far the most popular.
    The MB8HC is a 4 wire humbucker so either a push/pull pot can be installed (quite a tight fit but it goes in) or a 3 position mini-toggle to allow a variety of switching options such as single coil/humbucker or series/parallel humbucker. Series/parallel is neat since there is a marked difference in output......good for switching from chords to solos.
    Finally, there`s the latest addition, the "PhatBird" which is my attempt at simulating a P90 with a large, shallow coil wound to around 8.7kOhms......on my test mando through a Fender Power Chorus, there was definitely a hint of distortion there so I`d say this fitted the rock/blues niche.
    Right.......off to see Patrick Street in a few minutes....CheeryBye!

10. The following members say thank you to Soundfarmer Pete for this post:

Cool. I can't tell you about the products, but the people there are very helpful.