Thread: Harmony Batwing

Default Harmony Batwing

So I played my new Harmony Batwing electric at a gig last night, and what a great sound. I was totally surprised. I knew they were one of the coolest looking e-mandos out there (which is why I bought it), but the retro sounding electric/acoustic tone was awesome. These were not high end mandolins when new- in the 60's and 70's, but the pickup seems to be the key. I did some research- mainly on this site, and there seemed to be mixed reviews as to the sound. But I'm putting a big thumbs up. By the way, I also bought the mandolin on this site- put an ad in the instruments wanted section, and got an almost mint instrument for a decent price. This also avoided the usual ebay hassle. Tried a couple of times to bid on one there, but was outbid at the last minute by some cyber shenanigans, that seem to be the norm on that site. Another thumbs up for Mandolin Cafe.
    Chief. Way up North. Gibson 1917 A model with pickup. JL Smith 5 string electric. 1929 National Triolian resonator mandolin with pickup. National RM 1 with pickup. Ovation Applause. Fender FM- 60 E 5 string electric (with juiced pickups). 1950's Gibson EM-200 electric mandolin. 1954 Gibson EM-150 electric mandolin. Custom made "Jett Pink" 5 string electric- Bo Diddley slab style. Jay Roberts Tiny Moore model 5 string electric.

Default Re: Harmony Batwing

People on this site tend to know a lot about mandolins (or soon learn), so people who aren't dealing honestly are more likely to be caught, which makes it a good place to buy and sell in my non-biased opinion. Be sure to post some Batwing video when you get a chance. I'd be curious to hear it myself! Congrats. I think they look really cool, and if they were good enough for the late Yank Rachel, you can't go wrong!

Blog Entries

I'm glad you like it. They are very cool looking instruments with a voice of their own. If it works for you, revel in it!

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Blog Entries

Congratulations on the harmony Batwing!
    Hard to think of any mandolin with more Mojo!
    There is no place like the Cafe Classifieds for buying, selling or finding a used mandolin...Period!
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Blog Entries

Could Chief or any other a/e Batwing owners comment as to whether the fretboards on these are flat or slightly radiused?
    Please also comment on nut width, string spacing, neck profile and general playability.
    Thanks so much!
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Ed- I'm probably not the best person to answer your questions, but I'll give it a shot. The fretboard seems pretty flat to me. As far as nut width goes, I'm at work now, or I'd measure it for you. Again, not in my field of expertise. I'm actually a fiddle player posing as a mandolin player, and certainly don't know the fine points of these fun little instruments. As far as playability goes, I find it very easy and yes, fun to play. Certainly not as easy and smooth as my 1917 Gibson A model, but very do-able. Kind of like a 60's hollow body electric guitar(which it also sounds like to me). I see where there's a sweet Batwing on Ebay now- although the guy is asking mucho dinero for it. Perhaps other Batwing owners with more knowledge of mandolins that I will chime in.
    Chief. Way up North. Gibson 1917 A model with pickup. JL Smith 5 string electric. 1929 National Triolian resonator mandolin with pickup. National RM 1 with pickup. Ovation Applause. Fender FM- 60 E 5 string electric (with juiced pickups). 1950's Gibson EM-200 electric mandolin. 1954 Gibson EM-150 electric mandolin. Custom made "Jett Pink" 5 string electric- Bo Diddley slab style. Jay Roberts Tiny Moore model 5 string electric.

I have one. 1971 with orig receipt. (not mine) As i stated in prev posts... I find the fretboard tapers too wide and the string spacing gets too wide. I find it very hard to get a nice tremelo -especially double stop tremelos. It seems strings are close to body and with pickup makes it hard to play. Do do try to play it more up the neck where string specing feels more comfortable for pick. I can have a really bad night where my pick just misses the strings -big adjustment. I do love the sound plugged in. Maybe too much bottom end as those G and D strings have tons of sustain. It is good for rock or blues band. I'll have to pick it up more often.