Thread: Godin A8 Strings

Default Godin A8 Strings

I just got a Godin and it came with what look and feel like light electric guitar strings. The strings are not bronze like j74's.

Is this what's normally on the Godin? And what strings does anybody suggest for it?

Default Re: Godin A8 Strings

I use GHS E250 strings on mine. You can put almost any strings on them, but I like the E250s.

The pickup pieces are a Piezo type, so P Bronze strings would be fine,
    as would JM flatwound.

so it's a case of what sound is the one that appeals to you.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I have always used Jazz Mando flat wounds on my Godin.
    Explore some of my published music here.

—Jim

Sierra F5 #30 (2005)
    Altman 2-point (2007)
    Portuguese fado cittern (1965)

The Godin web site lists the strings for the A8 as J74's.

I just ordered an A8 and hope to get it within a week. It's the natural finish. Can't wait!!!

Just got my Godin A8 in the mail today!

So far I'm very impressed. Came with the Godin padded gig bag, seems well made and looks good.

The mando was just about perfect right out of the case. Looks fantastic, beautiful matte finish, very nice spruce top, and the mahogany neck is really cool. Good tuners, great fit and finish. This is one of the new ones with an adjustable bridge. Right now action is fine, and the J74s sound great to me. And they are bronze J74s.

Played acoustically it sounds really nice, but of course quiet because there is no sound hole. (still seems very strange to me although it makes for a very clean looking instrument). When I plugged it in I was very pleased! Quiet, clear,
    consistent across the fingerboard sound. Very dry, very acoustic sounding.
    I played it through a VHT Special 6 tube amp and also a Roland Cube. Some
    Piezo quack so I'm looking forward to trying it through the PA. With delay or
    reverb it sounded great! I'll use it for celtic and folk/bluegrass.

I'll try and post some pics. I'd definitely recommend the A8 for someone looking for a nice, well made acoustic-electric.

Mike

Here's some pics:

Glowering Clown In Crisis mandomiser's Avatar

Your right the strings that came on it seemed a bit alien for some reason when mine arrived this week. Anybody besides me like the strings easy to press down and go for lighter strings on the A8? I see they have ultralight ones for those early 20th Century bowl back editions.
    Hey! What happens if I push this button?~?~?~?~?~?~!~!~!~!~!~!~!

Blog Entries

I had my A8 for a month now.
    I'm loving it. I am thinking about changing out the 74's but I have yet to decide on a string replacement.
    Northfield Calhoun Mandolin
    Eastman MD505 Mandolin
    Seagull S8 Mandolin
    Godin A8 Mandolin

Fishman Loudbox Mini
    Blue Chip Picks

Wayne

i have been performing in certain settings with my A8 for 2- 3 years and am pretty satisfied with the features and sound. i think it has a more "acoustic" sound than many other E-mandos (mandoes?) although there is some of the inherent piezo tone factor. in my conversations with the factory folks when i first got mine, i asked about the string gages. i was told the gages shouldn't affect the output. so, when the current strings are toast, i'm gonna put on some GHS A260 strings (11-38) which will make it play a bit lighter on the D and G strings.

one thing that has bothered me is the neck shape which seems a bit square, mostly up closer to the nut. the treble side seems to rub on the outside edge of my L hand just below the base of my index finger. i don't get that issue on any of my other mandolins. i'm not sure that it isn't the finish which is a tad on the grabby side to me. i tried the usually 0000 steel wool and mineral oil rub down to somewhat kill the gloss stick factor before the last gig. i'm not sure it helped as much as it did on a glossy gibson neck finish. i'm wondering if the finish (what is it?) is harder than typical lacquers. maybe i'll try it again but w/o the oil.

i think these are great mandolins for where you don't need a fully acoustic tone, yet want to sound "like" an acoustic mandolin, and the on-board controls are nice to have too. when i really wanna rock, and use different effects, i use my bales 4 string mando.

Martin Bluegrass M-450's are the strings I love to use on my Godin.

Glowering Clown In Crisis mandomiser's Avatar

theoldman:
    I had my A8 for a month now.
    I'm loving it. I am thinking about changing out the 74's but I have yet to decide on a string replacement.
    I was suprised they only had two sets of mando strings at the local Guitar Center Store, and they (the Martin's) were nearly double the online price, so I ordered the Elixir Lights online with free shipping for $12.99, but am starting to really like the strings that came with it (about 3 weeks ago) and wonder how long I should wait to change to the Elixers. The A8 was on Ebay as UsedOther= in New condition, seemed brand new, but was already set-up. Anyone else spend twice as much to get Elixirs and any feedback?
    Last edited by mandomiser; Oct-28-2011 at 8:11pm. Reason: juzt lerninng Englaish

I like the Thomastik light strings and I gave the neck a good sanding.I did a little every day for a week until it felt right.Started with 120 grit and finished with 1200.