Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 'The Bluegrass' Mandolin

Blog Entries

Default Re: 'The Bluegrass' Mandolin

So this thread came back to life! After re-reading it I decided that since I have a degree in biochemistry that I should be able to determine what was wrong with my Gibson Sam Bush F-5.
    So I used a credit card and a soldering iron to pop the back off. I could see instantly what Gibson had done wrong! I removed the Western diamondback rattle. I replaced the back using duct tape in case I ever want to go in there again. Another improvement. Now the mandolin sounds great.
    Seriously it would be interesting to see one of those Bluegrass mandolins. We have a builder here in southwestern Ohio who has been building for about 5 years and his newest mandolins are just monsters. See video clips of the Nichols Road mandolins here.http://www.nicholsroadmandolins.com/
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

I can tell you this, I have one and it is one fine mandolin.
    Everyone who has had the priveledge of playing it, including Danny Roberts, and Roy Clark JR. have all stopped in there tracks when they hear it.

It is flat out one of the best mandolins I have ever heard, and that includes the Loar I have heard Danny play.

So Glen is eccentric with his ravings, he sure is interesting to spend time with and hear him go on.

So when you can make a mandolin like one of his you can say what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by helichuck View Post
    ...So Glen is eccentric with his ravings, he sure is interesting to spend time with and hear him go on. So when you can make a mandolin like one of his you can say what you want.
    Good point. I'd like to emphasize that none of the banter about his somewhat bombastic statements, could be interpreted as a critique of his workmanship or design.

Perhaps he could build one for Frank Wakefield, and we could publish their discussion of it. That would be fascinating, and quasi-enlightening.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by helichuck View Post
    I can tell you this, I have one and it is one fine mandolin.
    Everyone who has had the priveledge of playing it, including Danny Roberts, and Roy Clark JR. have all stopped in there tracks when they hear it.

It is flat out one of the best mandolins I have ever heard, and that includes the Loar I have heard Danny play.

So Glen is eccentric with his ravings, he sure is interesting to spend time with and hear him go on.

So when you can make a mandolin like one of his you can say what you want.
    Good input. For the record -- my comments were meant to be humorous and not intended as a put down to Mr. Cecil.

You cannot do better than freed back from a player who has one so your comment are relevant for sure.

Since you seem to have had a chance to talk with Mr. Glen Cecil I wonder -- did you get an idea form your discussions as to generally what he thinks is the "flaw" that he discovered in the Gibson design?

Another thing that would be interesting is to know exactly what kind of Gibson mandolin that Mr. Cecil took apart -- he refers to this on the news feature video. To that point if he had a 1950's or 1960's Gibson -- sure it probably did not sound great -- that would not be news.

I've had 3 of them from that period over the years and none of them sounded great. The tops are too thick and not properly graduated.

So if that is Mr. Cecil's "discovery" then I guess over 100 or more luthiers beat him to that one and discovered that long before he did! Like Randy Wood, a legend in the mandolin world who has been re-graduating Gibson mandolins for 40 years now.

Anyway I'm glad you like your mandolin and its good to hear the opinions from an owner.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Hello, Good hearing from you.
    I have talked to him on several occasions.
    He did not tell me what the flaw was.
    He did say that Gibson has asked him to come down and show them how he gets then to be so loud.
    I enjoy hearing him go on about it, it is quite interesting, he can talk for hours.
    I do hope that many more players get to hear his fine instruments.
    When I get to talk to him again, I will try to remember to ask him some more pointed questions about the mandolins.

Could you post some pictures and maybe some sound clips of your mandolin?
    “Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.”

My Mandos:
    1981 Lloyd LaPlant F5 #6
    2001 Lloyd LaPlant F5 #57
    2006 Lloyd LaPlant F5 #106
    2017 Boeh F5 #27
    2020 Boeh 2-point #31
    2012 Grey Eagle 2-point #57V

What a wonderful attitude to have. I can relate to this fellow as having other talents acquired over a lifetime of hard labor. Being a Jet mechanic is a real asset to his abilities as he is very aware of tolerances, and structural design. He is a real testament to hard working people trying to enhance anything we might use in society, and enjoying it too. Keep up the good work sir I enjoyed your enthusiasm.
    Complimenting other businesses good works is never a bad thing.
    Bruce Clark
    (Former Pipefitter)
    Nichols Road Mandolins

still Lefty & French Philippe Bony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Daniel View Post
    ...I think many of us would now like to see a "The Bluegrass" mandolin. Probably one will appear on the classifieds later today.
    Bingo !!! classifieds

9. The following members say thank you to Philippe Bony for this post:

Dang, that's ugly.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Daniel
    ...I think many of us would now like to see a "The Bluegrass" mandolin. Probably one will appear on the classifieds later today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Philippe Bony View Post
    Bingo !!! classifieds
    Yeah I was REALLY surprised when I saw that but it makes sense -- if someone had one to sell, well strike when the iron is hot!
    Bernie
    ____

I've got a friend that plays a "The Bluegrass" mandolin professionally out in Western NC. It's a good sounding mandolin and has a nice bluegrass "pop".

For the record I'm not so picky about looks, tradition, the minutiae of who signed what instrument when and where, etc. If a mandolin sounds and plays good, I say so. I've played lots of Gibson mandos over the years. Some I'd like to own, and some that I wouldn't.

Z
    Member since 2003!

Quote Originally Posted by G. Fisher View Post
    Could you post some pictures and maybe some sound clips of your mandolin?
    Here are a couple of pics, I will get an audio done.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Yesterday, Jan. 5, 2017, I played one of these, having been impressed by one at a festival this summer. It's a good mandolin and loud, though the cosmetics aren't the best. If anyone's interested, here's the link:

http://harrisonburg.craigslist.org/msg/5867431074.html

Summit Artist V mandolin #384 (2011)
    R.L. Givens A5 mandolin #151 (1978)
    Jerman electric mandolin 4 string
    Pisgah custom banjo #888 (2017)
    Martin 000-18 guitar #218946 (1967)
    parlor guitar, ice cream cone heel, unlabeled
    Sebastien Kloz fiddle (1734, authenticated)

Reviving a five year old thread to post an ad might not go over so well.

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

I wouldn't mind taking one for a spin...if I ever get to WV, I'll look up Mr. Cecil.
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

Not mandolin related, nor an advertisment for myself, but i work in a factory and build airbags for cars, but I took up building leather holster a few years back and have made quite a name for myself locally...so what does an airbag builder have that makes him qualify as a holster builder for deadly tools? Craftiness and ability to offer something that others dont. I myself would not tear apart a Gibson but I have tore apart other things because i simply am curious. Cudos to him but I would rather him send me th gibson lol. Just my thoughts.
    rf37
    I was told my mandolin playing was terrible. So, I played my guitar for them and all of the sudden they were happy to hear my mandolin again!

Kentucky KM 505
    Blueridge BR140a
    Martin D-18

18. The following members say thank you to rf37 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by DataNick View Post
    I wouldn't mind taking one for a spin...if I ever get to WV, I'll look up Mr. Cecil.
    A bit late to the discussion, but I've been in the company of Mr. Cecil many times at the Vandalia Gathering, held each Memorial Day weekend on the grounds of the capital of West Virginia at Charleston. Mr. Cecil has been a performer there for years and leads a band called The Front Page Band. Last count on the number of mandolins he's produced, if I recall correctly, was 96 and each one has been numbered accordingly.

He's in his mid-80s, although he doesn't look it, so if you wish to meet him, you may want to consider attending the Vandalia Gathering. He's always under the same tree: a huge magnolia and he gets there early each day - Friday through Sunday - to hold the spot for the rest of the boys.

No doubt he's proud of his builds and I've witnessed first hand comparisons side-by-side of other mandolins. Haven't heard a better sound.

I'm attaching a link to a video I published on YouTube, in which Corey Hensley plays Glen's mandolin. Those of you not familiar with Corey may know a band that he was a member of: Doyle Lawson. Corey's on his own now and his strength is in his vocals, from my perspective. Anyway, here's a link to the video: <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vpXFFGaO3B4" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Other Vandalia Gathering videos with Glen picking his mandolins are there, too.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to glenway For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by glenway View Post
    ...I'm attaching a link to a video I published on YouTube, in which Corey Hensley plays Glen's mandolin...
    Is this the one you mean?

Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Yes, sir. That's Glen Dean in the white shirt observing.

23. The following members say thank you to glenway for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Daniel View Post
    So this thread came back to life!
    Indeed ...

Here's a video of helichuck's group: Beacon Road, a good gospel group, you can hear Chuck playing his Bluegrass mandolin. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijY6T4wT8L8
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

One of my favorites here with Glen Dean on "The Bluegrass." The youngster steals the show, however.
    https://youtu.be/RLXKlfxSdis
    Last edited by glenway; Aug-14-2018 at 4:25pm. Reason: wanted the screen shot with the video

And, one more. Not the best angle of "The Bluegrass" but here are the boys under the magnolia at the Capital during the Vandalia Gathering: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBBvZUN9CzM

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by glenway View Post
    One of my favorites here with Glen Dean on "The Bluegrass." The youngster steals the show, however.
    https://youtu.be/RLXKlfxSdis
    That's Silas Powell, young monsta Monroe picker!
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

So I've learned, DataNick. Good to have a name with that talented young man!