Thread: Buckley's violin Tunes

Blog Entries

Default Buckley's violin Tunes

1855 (or 1865 if you are going by the cover) ... is sitting on my music stand. Well its not the original, but a photographic facsimile that I will be digging into this weekend.

Real cool. A new tunebook is about as much fun as you can have and talk about it.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Default Re: Buckley's violin Tunes

All right, Jeff. Where did you find this facsimile edition?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Brentrup Evangelist Larry S Sherman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I can't find it available anywhere, but I see it listed in a few libraries as: "Buckley’s violin tunes : a collection of beautiful marches, waltzes, quadrilles, polkas, scottisches, operatic melodies, hornpipes, reels, jigs, etc. etc. : and many other melodies never before published, including Buckley’s celebrated imitations of the farm-yard : and Brigg’s power of music / the whole selected arranged and composed for the violin by J. Buckley & Sons of Buckley’s Serenaders."

Larry

Blog Entries

Hee hee hee.

Well I know there aren't many out there. I found several references to the existence of this collection on line, and I heard there is a known complete but for one page original in the library at the University of Tennessee.

A fiddler friend of mine, who is a photographer by trade, came across a complete original in a bin at an estate sale or something. It was complete, though in fragile shape, the paper all brittle and all. So he laid it all out carefully and took amazing pictures of every page.

These kinds of things are dicey in my experience. Sometimes the tunes are not as interesting as you expect. Not in a tune in hand for the jam down the street way that I use fiddle tunes. Tonight I will find out, though a first glace yields no klinkers.

The entire staff
    funny....

I have a few original 19th century tunebooks and there prob would be two or three tunes worth bothering with but the bulk may not. I found a contemporary review that said that Buckley book had tunes that were in no other books but by now many may have been handed down in the repertoire. There is a listing on Amazon UK but it is not available.

There is a mention on a Civil War forum and one poster linked some scans but I am waiting for my registration to be accepted so that I can actually see what he linked.

Let us know if there is anything interesting in your copy, Jeff.

I did post a few from violin tunebooks here.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

There's an interesting PDF with notes and bibliography on American fiddle tunes at the Library Of Congress here, which among many other works references Buckley as a source for the Crystal Schottische (or Two-Step Schottische). Rather a bulky volume considering that it was published as the liner notes to an LP published by the LOC (an LP with 44 pages of liner notes?), but if you ever wanted to know the origin of the standard old-time/bluegrass repertoire, this is where you find exhaustive source references.

Martin

Blog Entries

Well I have been having a ball the last several hours. And there are a couple of tunes that are quite charming. Lilly Quadrille is composed by J. Buckley himself (of Buckley's Serenaders I presume). Its one of these vary innocent ice cream social straw hat and necco wafer tunes. Delightful by design. Something entirely without any edges that are too sharp. And then I really like Brigg's Power of Music, which was significant enough that it is mentioned on the front cover as being included.

The entire staff
    funny....

Any possibility of sharing some of the "stars" of this book?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Blog Entries

Of course of course.

The entire staff
    funny....

Here are a few scans that someone posted on a civil war reenactment forum.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p26.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	104237   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p29.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	104238   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p32.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	104239  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p34.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	104240   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p44.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	104241   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p45.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	104242  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p58.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	51.7 KB 
ID:	104243   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p59.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	104244  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately: