Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why 5 string instead of 4?

Default Re: Why 5 string instead of 4?

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    3 finger chords .. IV, I and V are all on the same fret.
    Really good thread. I like all of the reasons, but this simple concept does it for me. You can really comp chords more easily and satisfactorily with the low C string available. I just started playing the 5 string, ordered the J Bovier solid body on faith that I would be able to play it. I picked it up and it was like I had been playing 5 strings all my life. Very intuitive. I am really excited about exploring the possibilites. There is that extra room for riffs and solos, too.

Great thread...I have been looking into an emandos for a little while, never played one before and have only been playing the mandolin itself for a short time. I thought I settled on the ryder EM-18, it looks and sounds beautiful, but after going through this thread I have a lot more to think about...maybe a ten string??

A 5 string Fender Mandocaster "found me" a few weeks ago. I was kinda "huh" for a bit, but find after playing it for a bit, I miss the extra string when I go back to my "regular" mando's. Can get some very kewl riffage happening with that low C...
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -