Thread: Marla Fibish & Jimmy Crowley - The Morning Star

Fetches news & information NewsFetcher's Avatar

Default Marla Fibish & Jimmy Crowley - The Morning Star

The Mandolin Cafe has posted news:
    Marla Fibish & Jimmy Crowley - The Morning Star
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/news/publish/mandolins_001343.shtml

The Morning Star is a new all mandolin-family recording of Irish music by the Bay Area's Marla Fibish and Ireland's prominent instrumentalist and vocalist Jimmy Crowley.

---------------------------

NOTE: You may use your board membership to comment on news articles published by the Mandolin Cafe. Your comments will appear here and also will be appended to the end of the news article for public viewing. Standard board membership posting guidelines apply. The addition of images, videos, links and BB coding is turned OFF for this area so as not to compete with or interfere with the news item.
    Posts belonging to this account are created by a software task, not a human. Don't understand what that means? This information will explain how this post got here.

Default Re: Marla Fibish & Jimmy Crowley - The Morning Star

I've raved about this recording in the "Celtic etc etc..." but I'll do it again here - get this if you don't have it already! I think the word "gem" was used to refer to it on the homepage and that's about hit the nail on the head for me. Lovely stuff altogether!

Cheers,
    Jill
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

I provided sound for their performance at the 5th Avenue Taproom here in Tallahassee. They were both marvelous performers. Jimmy is a storyteller and a sensitive songwriter, and Marla is the bomb(shell) on mando. I got to hang out a bit afterwards with them, and Marla allowed me to play her father's mando. It was absolutely wonderful, and the CD is so fine. Highly recommended!

When I first heard "Three Mile Stone", my ears literally jumped for joy! "The Morning Star" CD is another great mile stone for this very talented bunch. Marla has become one of my favorite mandolin players .... ever. If you love Celtic music, you'll love Marla Fibish and Jimmy Crowley.
    Just visiting.

1923 Gibson A jr Paddlehead mandolin
    Newish Muddy M-4 Mandolin
    New Deering Goodtime Special open back 17 Fret Tenor Banjo

The production work on both recordings is equally excellent. Marla either has the BEST sounding A2 I've ever heard, or the production was just right, or both. This should be requisite listening to all those A model nay sayers out there.

Especially on "Morning Star" where things could get a bit tedious with all double-strung instruments, the arrangements are inventive and the choice of material is first rate. I have cetainly enjoyed featuring both discs on my Celtic radio show.

Marla and two other great players (Dave Cory and Lewis Santer) will be playing next Tuesday (May 24) at Julie's Tea Garden in Alameda CA from 7-9 PM. Come on down. See the "Great Upcoming Irish Show" thread under the "Celtic" category.
    EdSherry

Zookster -- the recording was done at Jim Nunnaly's studio in Crockett, CA. Jim is an excelent guitarist who plays with John Reischman and the Jaybirds and in the David Grisman Bluegrass Experience, among other bands. He won a Grammy for his engineering/producing work on a tribute album of Bill Monroe's music ("True Life Blues").
    EdSherry

Just got my "Morning Star" CD. It's remarkable! Every tune is wonderful.
    Just visiting.

1923 Gibson A jr Paddlehead mandolin
    Newish Muddy M-4 Mandolin
    New Deering Goodtime Special open back 17 Fret Tenor Banjo

Peace. Love. Mandolin. Gelsenbury's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It's a great album. I like this even better than Three Mile Stone. From the impressive to the beautiful, it's all there.

Thank you all for the lovely comments on the CD - I am very gratified!!
    I must comment to zookster that my instrument is an A, not an A2. It is a gorgeous sounding instrument, and Jim Nunally's great work in the studio captures a very true rendering of its sound....at least the way i hear it in my mind's ear. He is a man to be trusted with mandolins, and many greats do, as Ed calls out in his post!

Registered User Kay Kirkpatrick's Avatar

A big thanks to Marla,Jimmy, and Jim N for sharing their vision and skill with us on this fabulous CD. I feel quite lucky to get to study with Marla in Portal. Can't wait.