Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Chris Thile & Michael Daves Duo

Default Re: Chris Thile & Michael Daves Duo

Got mine, have listened some, definatley raw, I like it being able to hear the simple recording like this. Nice version of Ook Pik ( key of A?) I play it in G. Also good to hear Missisippi Waltz.
    Teri LaMarco
    Hear my music on Spotify (and other streaming services)
    https://open.spotify.com/album/2XBuk...SV24bnkZ2uC-hw

I guess iTunes changed it. Initially, those extra tracks were labeled "Album Only".

Just got the extra tracks. I'm lovin' this recording. Talk about breathing some fresh air into traditional tunes.

FWIW, "Sophronie" is the bonus track on Amazon, where I ordered it from. Dang! If I'd known iTunes had those other cuts, I would have ordered there. If I can't buy the extra tracks from iTunes without repurchasing the whole album, this may end up being one of those rare instances where I have to search them out on a bit torrent site. I'd love to hear their take on "Man In The Middle".

In terms of the recording... Let me start off by saying that I really like it. Any criticism I make is trumped by the fact that I really, really like the record. That being said...

I'm having some issue with the production. I honestly think the audio was better on the black-and-white video clips that have been floating around. I've got some really mixed feelings about Jack White as a producer. I loved the Loretta Lynne album he produced, but the Wanda Jackson record was a total train wreck IMO. With this one, I think he went a bit too bare-bones. I get that they wanted to keep it simple, but the album feels a tad flat to my ears. Lots of mids and trebles, but little in the way of lower-end sound. Granted, this has a lot to deal with Thile playing a mandolin and Daves' stylistic lack of low-end in his playing - not much BOOM-chuck and LOTS of heavy, frenetic strumming with what sounds like a capo on a good deal of the time. Of course that style is, to my ears at least, also part of the charm of his playing and this record's sound; it's a double-edged sword. I guess I wonder if White could have done something in the recording to flesh the sound out a bit, perhaps adding some mid reverb? I'm not an expert in recording, so I don't know how feasible it could be, but I do wonder about it.

As has already been mentioned, I've wondered on a few of these cuts whether there was intentional arrhythmic things going on, or if there were moments on some of the faster songs where they just went out of synch for a moment or two and decided to leave it on the recording in the spirit of keeping it somewhat "raw".

All in all though, I really dig this album. I like the sort of controlled/intentional sloppiness that Thile employs, I love the energy, and I love the choice of tunes.

Arnhem, the Netherlands; Nanjing, China; Ithaca NY USA

The main point here is that these two young musicians who can and do play anything (Thile = Bach, Daves = Yusef Lateef) knew the classic country repertoire (Feast Here Tonight is pre-grass, You're Running Wild is pure country) and early blue grass, and as said above, lovingly developed their interpretation. Of course they have modern sensibilities, it would be fake otherwise. But you can tell they respect and love their roots -- they are not getting above their raising. Listening to Daves talk about singing with Charlie Louvin, you can tell this is not some phony spiel, it is deep from the heart. As long as we have young people like this carrying the music forward, there is nothing to worry about. It also shows that these superpickers can and want to go back to basics for the pure fun of it. We've seen this before with Grisman (especially Bluegrass Reunion where he gave Red Allen a last exposure) and others.

And Otto, you can never compare anyone to the tightness of Flatt and Scruggs -- that was the tightest band ever. But if you compare Thile and Daves to the Monroe Brothers' version of Rabbit I think they are about equally tight. By the way Monroes and F&S and Stanley Brothers all did this in F, these guys notch it up to G and I think that adds to the shrillness and "overspeed". But I am sure they did it for the effect they wanted, more power to their creativity.

I just got an email from Thile/Daves promotions mentioning the release of the album....also noting the digital "deluxe" version available on iTunes. So they did mention it..now. No harm no foul, though!! Just listened to the album for the 3rd time and just love it more each time. They need to add some California dates to their tour!

Kitchen Tapes for the 21st Century. There's not much more of a perfect instrumental union then guitar and mandolin in my mind and Chris and Michael have a unique take on it. It's nice to hear CT play some things that are very accessible to us mere mortals. Michael does some fantastic flat picking; did not know too much about him so that was a surprise to me. I really like MD's voice and I think the harmonies are great.

I'm not completely sold on the tonal quality of the recording yet but I suspect that will grow on me.

This is a CD I will listen to more then a few times.

Brentrup Evangelist Larry S Sherman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Here's the latest video...20/20 Vision:

Larry

Lots of great things on this recording, but it hasn't drawn me in yet. I appreciate what I am hearing, but I will have to wait for a long car trip to see if anything more develops.
    Object to this post? Find out how to ignore me here!

I'm glad I'm not the only one that has noticed the very mid-rangey tone to this recording. I'd definitely like to hear some more bass in the mix. Maybe next time they should get a nice, old D-28 in Michael's hands or add a bass man. If I was recording a Loar and a D-18 I'd be trying to accentuate the bass instead of hide it.

I will have to wait until I go home this weekend to get my copy. I'm loving everything I hear off of it though!

Arnhem, the Netherlands; Nanjing, China; Ithaca NY USA

It's interesting to hear some of the references they make to the earlier "classic" versions of the songs/tunes. A few I picked up:

-- Ira Louvin's mando break on Running Wild (mentioned above)
    -- Charlie Monroe bass runs on Roll In ...; that one has a real Monroe Brothers feel
    -- snare-drum style rhythm mando on Sophronie (even though the original didn't have a snare, it gives quite a Jimmy Martin feel)
    -- guitar break to Back Up and Push is almos note-for-note Kenny Baker's 2nd variation from Frost on the Pumpkin
    -- Bury Me is a clear copy of the Skaggs & Rice version both in tempo and vocal approach

So they pay homage to the classics and then extend in their style. Nice.

Ok, ok....so I broke down and bought the extra tracks from the "deluxe version" on iTunes. Good Gawd! As far as the quality of the overall recording goes I've listened to it about 5-6 times now and it really grows on you; it just takes awhile for your ears to adapt to it but once it does it sounds as perfect as need be. I think it's exactly what Thile and Daves were shooting for which is truly brilliant on their part.

Time to listen to it for a 7th and 8th time.....Yes, I am a big fan. I'll stop now and quit hogging the posts here....

AKA Billgrass

Boil it down to this: it's really a lot of fun to listen to these guys roar thru these tunes!
    Daily joy - morning noon and night:

An instant classic. Passionate, energetic, traditional and innovative at the same time. Love it.
    Regarding the sound quality, I wish for better fidelity. If they were trying to sound retro, they overshot, IMO. On my systems, it is midrangy and the compression bothers me. Maybe that is just tape compression, or they might have smashed it purposely. There are many all-analog recordings with better fidelity. There are many great albums with worse.
    Does not take away from how great it is.
    T

I've listened to this album a few times now, and I really like the song selection, playing and singing. My favorite track is Ookpik Waltz, but they are all quite good. This album has introduced me to a lot of songs I had never heard before, and has me looking back to the original versions and learning about those players.

I'm very disappointed in the recording quality. I want it to sound like I am in the room with them, listening with my own ears. Instead, it's like I'm listening to a recording of them played on a midrangey speaker. Why go deliberately low-fi? Can't wait for part II of the interview where they get into the recording techniques and ideology. On the Man in the Middle video the quality is so much better, and it looks like they just did it with a single AT4040 mic. I can actually hear the treble of the mandolin and guitar; what is missing on the album, more than bass in my opinion. In part I of the interview, it states that the signing was done on a figure-8 ribbon mic, with Chris and Michael facing each other. I wonder if they overdubbed the volcals (I wouldn't think so), or this ribbon was also the only pickup for the instruments too...

This album would have been a favorite if it were recorded with modern techniques and quality. Maybe it will grow on me?

This is just excellent. Great album, great feel, outstanding pickin' and vocals.

I really hope Chris and Michael come over to the UK sometime soon.

Registered User Douglas McMullin's Avatar

I am on my fifth listen and I am really enjoying this release. I love the song selection, playing and vocals. I also really like how they recorded this; for me it lends itself to the nature of these tunes.

Jack White did not produce this project. Whatever the end result (mics, instrumentation, vocals) I really think it turned put exactly how Chris and Michael intended. I don't mind lo-fi treatment, but I can see how it might put some folks off. My personal sonic nightmare is the Marshall/Thile CD "Into the Cauldron". That artificial reverb they soaked everything in makes it unlistenable. But that's just me.

To the member who asked about the loar. Chris had the fretboard replaced with a scooped and radiused one.
    Charlie Jones

Clark 2-point #39
    Rigel A Natural

Blog Entries

Wow, you guys really put a lot of thought into this recording. I've not read every post but have read many and while not to instigate an argument it seems most posters are seriously over-thinking this recording. I may be listening on a complete emotional basis but does anyone really think Chris and Michael would release a recording of this magnitude without both being on board 100% on the entire project? I mean seriously, why look for things to criticize and complain about. I anxiously awaited this release and am in awe of what was done on this CD by both players. Emotionally raw, yes but as many things that are over produced with the "cut and paste" philosophy in bluegrass these days, this cd is a breath of fresh air.

IMHO Both guys are brilliant, and have put this project together completely by feel. They layed down the tracks the way it was done 70 years ago and both have enough prowess to interject their own style to make it modern for today's listener.

If I could offer any advise it would be to turn off the web, just for a while and listen to the power behind the notes and feel the music. Don't get bogged down with fidelity, what kind of mic, pic, strings they're using. Most of us will NEVER have the ability to play like either one of these guys and a better mic isn't going to help us. So, in stead of Analyzing the quality of the recording why not try and analyze how these guys play and how the heck they can both be so talented.

S

I'm loving it so far. I don't think the recording is really that bad, I think it's just that accurate. What you hear is what they actually sounded like at that moment. Michael has a very jangly mid-range sound, I haven't heard much bass in anything he plays, and I've been listening to a lot of his stuff since this project came out. Great record. I'm happy to hear Chris play with that kind of abandon.

This Thile guy can't win with some folks. First he sounds too modern and stylistic, now he sounds too old and lacking production.

What sachmo63 said.

And mritter.
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

Quote Originally Posted by msh_mando View Post
    In watching the "little girl of mine in TN" video, Chris' mando looks to have a scalloped fingerboard extension. Is that his Loar? Anybody know the story there?
    As one of the resident "people far too concerned with the vintage mandolins" folks.. I have heard he replaced the original fingerboard with a new one (scooped), mainly to improve intonation and playability.

I don't have recent photos of it for the mandolin archive, but I figure we'll get there eventually
    The Mandolin Archive
    my CDs
    "The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead"

Quote Originally Posted by sachmo63 View Post
    ...am in awe of what was done on this CD by both players.
    Awe is the appropriate response, in my view.

And I agree with mritter, Thile can't win here with some folks.