Thread: Same pick for electric and acoustic

Default Same pick for electric and acoustic

I'm curious whether folks generally use the same picks for playing their emandos that they use for their acoustics. I have been using a Dunlop 2.0 for both. Pretty stiff , but you always know where the tip is relative to your grip.

I'd love to hear what folks are using.

Wranglertbone

"I'm a Taurus. We're not superstitious."

Default Re: Same pick for electric and acoustic

I'm interested in what people have to say about this. My tendency is to go lighter in pick because I have a whole lot less string to move. Technique for mando and emando is different so it seems to me that having a pick that feels right would outweigh the convenience of using the same pick everywhere.
    I've been using the same pick because I haven't gone out to get new picks to use with the emando so I'm just starting this journey, but I do intend to get something soon.

Blog Entries

Heck I don't even use the same pick for all tunes.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

I would use the same kind of pick but a heavy sounds too dull on the electric, and a medium sounds too thin and feeble on acoustic. I do use the same shape and material, Fender celluloid standard picks.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

I use the Dunlop Ultex Standard 1.14 on everything. It is guitar pick shaped, and has plenty of heft on acoustic with lots of strong tone on electric. It's my go-to pick.
    Less talk, more pick.

i use my pick ct 55 named after a certain colour on acoustic and electric and i find it fine . but i would not argue that it is the best approach

I use a nylon Dunlop .88 on my emando and guitars. but I use a nylon 1.05 on my acoustic mandolins. I guess it's just a matter of what feels right and sounds right to the person playing.

I use the same picks on all my mando instruments (mandocello, octave mando, mandolin, and electric mandolin) : sometimes a golden gate, sometimes a wegen 1.5 mm, sometimes a tortex 2.0 mm. Depends on the sound I want.

Luthier&Pickup maker ret. Soundfarmer Pete's Avatar

Heck of a variety here......I tend to go much lighter than the average - Jim Dunlop Tortex....orange...pretty sure they`re 0.7mm (just had a look but all the writing has worn off)!
    My reasoning.......can`t get on with heavy picks - have to grip them harder which for me means a less relaxed picking hand.
    As well as mando, I play metal style bass so find a lighter pick lends itself to easier speed picking......seems to offer less resistance.

Probably my technique or style, but if I use anything thicker than 1.0, then it deadens the sound too much. This especially the case on CBOMs. I've tried Wegan picks, but now use cheap and reliable Dunlop 0.73 for all mandolin family instruments. Guitars and basses are different, but this is a mandolin forum!

Blog Entries

i don't know much about this, but at first i began with a very thin, bendy pick on my acoustic. For my electric, i started using dunlop .88 mm... for me that was very thick, although i know they get thicker, but it was just different compared to the first. i got used to it, and now use that for both...
    Diego

Eastman MD315
    Kentucky KM505
    JBovier ELS
    ---
    Ivan Dunov VL402 Violin

I use a Dawg on both, and even on my guitars (acoustic and electric) now. I know, many of you find the Dawgs not to your liking, but I am satisfied with them, and it sure is convenient to use the same on all. But I do use 11-39's on my emando (4 string).

Blog Entries

I use a Wegen TF-140 for everything: acoustic, electric, guitar, mandolin, mandola. I find that sticking to one pick allows me to eliminate it as a variable in my playing. Kind of like trying to get the same string spacing on all my mandolins is an effort to eliminate a variable.

The idea is my ears and hands can respond faster to what I'm playing, and I can adjust technique as necessary more quickly, if I don't have to account for a different size, feel, and flex in the pick.

Works for me.

Daniel