Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A new mandola

Default Re: A new mandola

Looks like a rich, luscious chocolate. Makes me hungry. Love it.

What really jumps out at me (after the luscious color/finish) is the tailpiece and the tuners. From a design standpoint, that tailpiece represents (to my eye) a visual AND a functional improvement to the old 2-piece (Gibson-style) stamped tailpiece. I like it better every time I see it (and I see one every time I open my case).

Did you make the ebony buttons and that center cover piece for the tuners? Ebony and brass and old steel are just so RIGHT together. And the binding - is ebony more difficult to work with for binding than other woods? That thing is really easy on the eyes.
    Clark Beavans

Just stunning.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

Beautiful. Just don't sit on it.

Gorgeous. I'll echo the comment that it really looks playable, it has a very inviting aesthetic; "Just lift me out of this chair I'm lounging in and pick a tune or two, you wont regret you did."

John, that is as beautiful as it gets! Nicely done!!!

Clark, the Alessi tuners came just like they look there, with the little ebony caps on the gears, the nicely smoothed and polished ebony buttons, and the smooth, wonderfully machined gears and attachments. These are easily the best tuners I've ever installed on a mandolin family instrument.
    The ebony bindings aren't too difficult when the bends aren't too tight, like the body of this mandola. The only real challenge was the heel "button", which took a little creativity. It wasn't the first time I've worked with ebony for bindings so I knew it would work fine.
    After a day or so of looking at the instrument, with it's general understatedness (new word?), the tailpiece looked like too much "bling". It drew my eye to it and, I thought, distracted from the more subtle look of the rest of the mandola. I've thought all along that the center of my tailpiece lent itself to subtle embellishment or decoration but I had never put anything there until now. I put a polished ebony veneer in the center of the tailpiece, and I think that subtle addition helped the look of the instrument as a whole.

I wish I could play mandola so I could hear what this thing really sounds like. I think it sounds good, with a good balance and plenty of strength in the C course. The 17" scale seems to give it a little more of a "jangle" than the 16" scale standard to the old Gibson f-hole mandolas, with a component of the sound that somewhat reminds me of the sound that Tim O'Brien gets from his Zouk.

That's a beauty ...awesome stuff and nice pics, John!

i likey de tailpiece and tuners. You mention the tailpiece being maybe too bling without the ebony, which looks great, btw --- BD has an interesting electro process for aged (look) hardware (pls see pic), i can't help but think of the cool factor when i see that dark and delicious beast. Happy playing!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	labraid2.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	105.8 KB 
ID:	70315
    Last edited by mtucker; Mar-29-2011 at 12:47pm. Reason: added text

Great pictures! The mandola looks so elagant and when played...out of this world, I am sure......

I think that ebony veneer must be why my eye went right to the tailpiece, John - only what I was seeing was the lovely centerline of the strings going down through it, especially the 1st photo in front of the book case. I never realized that you had added the veneer (duh!), but man does it work. Brilliant!

Can you post a closeup?
    Last edited by tree; Mar-29-2011 at 2:55pm. Reason: wrong photo
    Clark Beavans

Blog Entries

Beautiful work John.
    There are three kinds of people: those of us that are good at math and those that are not.

Quote Originally Posted by tree View Post
    Can you post a closeup?
    Sure, why not. Just ignore the dust specks and the distorted reflection of the photographer...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tailpiece.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	142.2 KB 
ID:	70328  

Thanks, John. Has me thinking about doing that to mine, I've got some nice dark walnut that would probably go with the dark burst on my F5G. I'll have a closer look at it the next time I change strings. Glued in? Epoxy?
    Clark Beavans

Double-stick tape, quick, easy and secure. It could be removed, but it might not be easy.

I took over stewardship of this mandola last night and had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Hamlett. His workmanship and attention to detail on this instrument are outanding and the oil varnish finish is the nicest I have ever encountered. I was able to play it for only an hour late last night after the long drive to fetch it. My initial impression is favorable. The tone is pleasing and even, there is plenty of volume, and it feels natural to get around on. I am amazed by how much sustain this instrument has and how lightly it is built. Seems to be no excessive materials structurally. I plan to post some sound clips or video in the near future as time allows. John really executed this joint vision perfectly and was a pleasure to work with. One of his acquaintances told me that John's instruments are worth the wait. It was.

Blog Entries

Congratulations John!
    Enjoy your new Hamlett!
    Looking forward to hearing clips.
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Congrats John and John. I can't wait to hear this beauty at camp!

Forgive any muffed notes, I've only been playing the mandola for 3 days now.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John Gardinsky For This Useful Post:

sorry I missed this post. Beautiful 'dola, John! The color is fantastic.
    Austin Clark
    http://www.clarkmandolins.com

Clark Mandolins on Facebook

@scrollenvy on Instagram

John

Can you tell me what brand and color dye you used on the mandola? That looks nice.

It is Feibings leather dye and it was chosen and supplied by the customer; a portion poured into a container for shipping, so there was no Feibings label and I don't know what the color name is. Perhaps John (Gardinsky) will see this and fill us in on the color.

What a lovely looking, understated instrument- pure class!
    Cheers Gary

If Gardinsky doesn't reply....I have an old Ethan Allen leather armchair of the same shade that I got some Feibings leather dye to use for touch up. I believe the color is called "Oxblood". Feibings has some color charts. Add...I went and checked the bottle...is not Oxblood is Mahoganny.

That is a beautiful instrument!!

Quote Originally Posted by ajh View Post
    If Gardinsky doesn't reply....I have an old Ethan Allen leather armchair of the same shade that I got some Feibings leather dye to use for touch up. I believe the color is called "Oxblood". Feibings has some color charts. Add...I went and checked the bottle...is not Oxblood is Mahoganny.

That is a beautiful instrument!!
    Thank you ajh. It really is a beautiful instrument. I’m leaning that direction on the old A model i just acquired.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Goist View Post
    John:
    Beautiful work!
    And I have to say, your customer has great taste. I love that color! It has an incredibly classy 'violin' look about it.
    Excellent.
    That's what I was going to say...looks like a expensive viola. The words that come to mind are rich, luscious, elegant, and envy of course. Special plus for the fact that it is a 17" scale length and the color is just the best ever.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.