Thread: Anyone ever played a Novax?

Default Anyone ever played a Novax?

I've been offered a 5-string electric mandolin by Ralph Novak in a trade. Anyone ever play one of Ralph's instruments? This one has traditional frets, not fanned. Here's what it looks like.

Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Blog Entries

Default Re: Anyone ever played a Novax?

I have questions about the bridge/tailpiece layout. It looks to be a kludge, mixing a through-the-body Stratocaster bridge design with Gibson stop tailpiece. The break angle over the bridge looks very shallow, which might work fine, but I'd avoid consummating the deal without playing it.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

Is there a "talent" knob? Christian McKee's Avatar

Looks also like that p/u is mounted backwards... I had a bassist once spend several hundred dollars to have such an error fixed because he felt it made enough of a difference to warrant the expense. Not sure how that might play on the mandolin.
    Christian McKee

Member, The Big North Duo
    Musical Director, The Oregon Mandolin Orchestra

Ah yes ... I thought it looked like a Bartolini but not quite. That's because "Bartolini" is upside down.

This mando currently lives in the Czech Republic, and started out as an 8-string. The conversion job does look a bit klugey. Reportedly it once belonged to Radim Zenkl. I'm tempted to drive up to Radim's show in Vancouver tomorrow so I can ask him.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

So the conversion wasn't done by Novak himself? Might be a fine instrument, but the thought of a non-fan-fret Novak that's been modified doesn't hold a lot of appeal for me, and I don't have access to all the emandos that you do. YMMV.